Who stands by a 24-72hr dark period before harvest?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by GloriousZOMBiE, Oct 3, 2014.

1. I am curious to see who stands by an extended dark period before harvest it full ripen the plant, does it increase bud size and resin production and fully ripen the plant, I am considering this, my plant is outdoor in a 5 gallon bucket and I was thinking the night of the first frost I'd bring it indoors and let it sit till I have the trichomes where I want them. Please let me know your experiences it will be very much appreciated!

I am unsure for outdoor plants, but I've always done so with my indoor ones. I hope someone else can be of more help.

3. so do you notice a difference? Smells, trichomes, pistil color, mass?

4. Somebody help, this is my first grow and have zero experience in this, never harvested my own plant.

5. My plant is 6 weeks flower tomorrow... And my weather channels is calling for no frost the whole month, my plant will be mature, but I want my trichomes 75% cloudy and 25% amber so if they aren't there yet I plant on putting them in the dark till I have my desired end product. Idk how many weeks flower my plant is, it's an indica dominant hybrid from bag seed

sorry mate, I went and got blazed.

yes to everything. and on a better note, whatever small portion of my trichs that were under mature changed and matured as well. denser nugs. i don't think they get that much smaller? then again, you have to cure it after and it will either puff or bulk down

7. it's cool man, but hell yea dude you answered exactly what I was looking for, I want to have zero clear trichs, I want a majority milky and a small amount of amber, so i feel this should get them to where i want them... On another note, what's your watering like, I've heard several other ways. Iv heard that giving your plants water less In flower will create more resin production in order for survival to hold more water in, but what do you do for your ladies final days? I was thinking of just giving them fresh water the last 2 weeks, and then when they come inside I'm not giving them any water or sunlight, and I'm going to also crank on both my dehumidifiers for the last 3-4 days before they get harvested so they bulk the resin up.

8. #9 tmntgrower, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
    I have heard that 24hrs if dark before harvest and than chopping it in the AM right before it's normal light cycle is best. Withholding water for 2-3 days will help dry plant out before chop. The less water in the plant the less water you have dry out right. Also some people take the large fan leaves off before they let it sit in the dark for 24hrs. Just because you hear an answer you love doesn't make it the right answer my man. Not saying he is wrong but always check double check you know.

9. we'll Iv been reading around a lot and many say this is they way to ripen the plant when it's mature, and I wanted to ask someone with first hand experience and he answered me, and I believe that putting a plant in dark will ripen them because a plant without light for 2-3 days is very unnatural and if a plant has no light it probably knows death is inevitable ... So I came to a conclusion when this guy told me from his first hand experience. I take all suggestions into consideration, but I think about what I'm doing first and no I'm not one of those gullible people that believe whatever the internet tells them, but thanks dude I'm just trying to have a dank harvest lol

As I stated in my initial post, I have no idea if any of what I did pertains to OUTDOOR plants because I've never done that to outdoor ones. only indoor. keep it in check.

11. Hey bro i always do a 24hr dark period befor my harvest. Thc degrades in the light. Do not however let hem dry out for 2-3. Makes for a bitch to trim fan leafs. Also letting the plant dry out befor harvest is not ideal because your buds will dry faster. And we dont want this. Unless there solid and susceptible to mold. Other then that dry as slow as you can. This creats a fuller smoother smoke. Reasons for this is because the plant has more time to use up the sugars in the leafs that you left. (I take fan leafs when i harvest. But then i hang upside down with the sugar leafs still on. Then when i go into the cure ill trim them up. I have also done complete trimming then hang to dry. This makes the buds dry faster because the amount of surface area from the cut leafs thats exposed and lets moisture escape. Hope this sheds some light on your subject

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1335301-Stanky's-perpetual-garden

12. I've read a great many times and heard from reliable sources that you always chop in the dark. I would imagine getting everything done at least an hour before light comes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. Yes, chopping before sun up will allow the plant to have higher terpene levels....that's why the smell is more potent in nature at sun up. There is scientific evidence on the interweb to back up my words

Sent from my XT1080 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. I have personal experience trying 24-48-72 hours of dark both indoor and out. Here is my experience.

6 hours of darkness is more than enough, provided they just came out of the light. Wet trim them before inducing darkness. No they won't fatten up. They need light to fatten up. Whatever chlorophyll or whatever is in them that lessens the afternoon smell has gone after 6 hours of darkness. I have noticed no difference in going beyond this in Trichome count. But then again if you grow them right there should be no way you could notice a difference. Organic soil ftw. If you can notice a difference in Trichomes then you grew her wrong. She should be covered when ready.

15. And if you can, pull when the soil is dry. As dry as possible. I seem to get less of a shrink in the buds when I pull and the soil is dry. I have pulled the same strain dry versus wet. Same size. Ratio was about an oz of the dry pull versus a little less of an oz per wet. Ymmv but I doubt it.

16. I have two identical seeds, planted at the same time, and produced the same bud. I took one out of my flower room and put it in complete darkness, I'll let you know how it goes in a couple days!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. #18 travel2much, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2014
    If you want to increase trichome production prior to lights out, use UVB lighting as a pulse supplement. I have a UVB fixture in my tent that runs for a half hour at 11am, 1pm, and 3 pm ( plant time)

any updates?

19. What sort of fixture?

Sent from somewhere over there.
    No, not there...over THERE.