Meditating While Intoxicated

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Inexpsyphy, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Hello everyone! It's an early morning and I had an early morning thought! That thought was, "would being intoxicated while meditating be helpful?" Now, I know there are many variables to this; but I mean, in particular, sipping yourself to a buzzed state where the alcohol is noticeable; but so is your awareness (as opposed to blacking out).

Has anyone tried this? How'd it work out? I'm going to try it now since my roomate left his whiskey on the kitchen table and he'll be okay with me taking some since we trade off and share each other's goods within' agreement. So, I'm going to go take 3 shots (the amount differs for everyone - know yourself as not to go overboard) aaand then meditate and then see how I feel.

The objective for me in doing this is to see if the alcohol can help cradle me into a care-free, meditative (not reckless) state of mind; and if I'm lucky, maybe I'll find something out. If not then at least it will be an experience.

What do you all think?

2. I did a very slim bit of research and found that monks would drink and then meditate under supervision as a sort of challenge to them to see if they could fight the effects of the alcohol and in turn strengthen their practice...

I suppose this is the equivalent mental workout similar to the physical workout of running with weights strapped to you. It's good to compare - for all the new people to meditation - this analogy, as you wouldn't as a beginner runner, start out with weights strapped to you. The same goes with meditation. If you are a beginner I would NOT drink and meditate.

3. I would definitely not drink and meditate. Alcohol is very antithetical to meditation. You should meditate rather on the affect of alcohol. Weed I might use for certain meditation. Weed has a somewhat negative effect too, but meditating while high can counteract that and one can achieve very blissful states.

4. meditation will achieve blissful states of mind without the need for substances found outside the body.

being stoned or drunk in meditation wont benefit you in any way. maybe for that session you will achieve a deeper state, but when you try to achieve that same state with a clean mind, youll find it that much harder without the substances. it has a reverse affect.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. I'll occasionally smoke before meditating, depending on the reason I am meditating, but I never go beyond a light body high - the same feeling I get from meditating sober. I'd never use alcohol, though.

6. I think alcohol would just disrupt my thought processes and make meditating more difficult. I used to meditate while high though and that worked nicely. The reason why I used to meditate was that I noticed it improved my short term memory (which meant better grades). I've read studies showing that meditating stimulates brain areas associated with memory and attention.

7. I'd imagine it might be useful for advanced practitioners as a challenge , but would probably be too much for  beginners who are unable to keep their mind still.

8. Alcohol impairs your perception when meditation requires you to "clear your mind" using a disciplined mental steps.

You can't do anything that requires self-control and self-discipline when your intoxicated on alcohol, especially mental exercises.

9. Sure you can, alcohol only impairs self-control , but it's not completely removed. Inf act just yesterday night I about 2 shots of rum and got high, then meditated for 20 minutes. I was still able to regulate my wandering mind somewhat.

10. That's the reason why I brought it up. The fact that it would make the process harder, might, MIGHT, increase your ability to meditate ...or it could just disrupt it all together.