Will our generation live longer and healthier than all the previous generations?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hamachi12, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Heres my theory behind this. 

We've finally become environmentally aware, just imagine all the nasty pollution we had back in the 20s or 60s. Were also the generation to lower tobacco and cigarette smoking from 20% in 2000 to 9% now. And most teenagers now a day smoke weed, which is proven to have several benefits such as a stress reliever, or a pain reliever, etc. 

Although Obesity has risen, since the 20s or 70s, most people are now trying to fix that issue, which is relatively fast.

2. People being aware of what's going on hasn't changed anything.....yet. All we can hope is that more people become aware until finally everyone says we have had enough with the way people in charge are running things.

3. I think quality of life may change, but from my limited understanding of aging I think we have a biological limit built into our cells. A slight increase in age expectancy is possible but nothing dramatic enough to get excited over. 

Some may argue that portions of the population are living more unhealthy than ever. You will likely see a mix of some people pushing the limits of extreme health and some going the exact opposite direction. 

4. Fucked up dietary habits could easily undermine the effects of medical advances.

5. As far as the state of the environment goes, we're in a more dire place than ever before.

But if there is a planet around for us to enjoy, no doubt we'll live longer, on average, than the generations preceding us. Reckon most of that has to do with science, rather than our habits though. I heard a report not too long ago that said that a large percentage of kids born today will live to see 100.

Again, that's assuming our planet can support us.

6. It amazes me that any living entity down to an individual cell can remain functional (i.e. alive) as long as it does given the potential for biomolecular machinery fucking up. That and the peculiar - no, astoundingly complex yet balanced - mechanisms by which "life" temporarily avoids Appolyon's grasp (the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics) is one of the more profound aspects of the Universe, in my not-so-humble opinion..

7. Maybe in that modern medicine is pretty powerful stuff, and will only get more advanced as we get older. I dunno.

8. Life is pretty amazing when you think of all the possible things that could have gone wrong with our development. As far as entropy is concerned, I think our Universe is a long ways off from those troubles (if I'm understanding you right). I've never heard it referred to as Appolyon's grasp though. Where did you get that from? 

9. #9 Verts, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
    At our current rate of consumption, we would need one-and-a-half Earths to simply live out our generation in comfort. We need a revolution before we start turning things around.

Edit: Typo

10. #10 lazytoker, Oct 2, 2014

I call major bs on that even though I don't agree with the way things are being consumed currently.

11. You don't think the rate at which we are consuming natural resources is astonishing? For fuck's sake man we have been SLAUGHTERING EACH OTHER OVER OIL for decades and decades now. Things like that do not and will not replenish once we have sucked the Earth dry of them. We have been tearing down rain forests to build skyscrapers for decades and decades now. It would be nice to think that we'll be okay and everything is fine, and we'll find a way to harvest oil from Mars or something, but that is absolutely not the case.

12. Were actually getting ready for a Plummet In general life expectancy around the world.

Antibiotics are becoming ineffective

Obesity is the norm

The FDA among other agencies has been so stripped to bare bones they are so ineffective corps can legally poison us.

Our govt is more concerned with foreign wars than at home social problems and health.

Cigarette use has declined dramatically in the last 2 years DRASTICALLY do to E-Cigs but there's no long term testing done to proove we aren't still just killing ourselves.

So all in all.

I disagree with you OP

13. That's not an issue of consumption but rather an issue of population.

Humans need/will always consume more than they can.

It's foolish to ask a human to not act human just as it's foolish to expect your dog to talk. Earth is/will be recycling itself as it's done before and humans will take a large if not lethal population hit over a large period of time. We can't fix ourselves IMO but earth can fix itself.

I said that I don't agree with the way things are being consumed in my simple, one sentence post.

My point was that you said we would need 1 1/2 Earths just to live out the current generation comfortably at our rate of consumption, which is a bullshit piece of info pulled out of somebody's ass and it shouldn't be spread around like fact.

15. In the health department we are no healthier, we are fatter on average, which is almost as bad as a lifetime of smoking (which still means it is very bad, do let that diminish the fact that being obese is exceeding bad and has huge health repercussions down the road). Besides that the environment is worse than ever, though we are more conscious than ever, that does not translate into action by governments apparently. Our only hope to live longer, and it is a strong horse, is technology. Pending some catastrophe in yellowstone or our sun hitting us with a massive solarstorm that sets us back as long as it takes us to recover. You can pretty much count on bio-medical engineering extending your life beyond what is currently average.  

16. The way things are heading there shall be wars all around resulting in a lot of deaths. So many pointless wars and bomb drops. The secret service can't even protect the president, some priority he is apparently.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. :rolleyes:
    we survived before oil, we'll survive after it's gone
    you know there is such a thing as renewable resources

18. Apployon was the Greek form of the Hebrew "Abaddon" - the bottomless pit or destroyer. I made up the metaphor since life's metabolic processes form a temporarily successful evasion of the overall tendency (the "grasp") for energy to become increasingly dispersed.

Also, I wasn't thinking about the 2nd Law as far as the grand fate of the large scale universe. I was merely alluding to how the the amazing metabolic symbiosis between us heterotrophs and those blessed autotrophs acts to partially cheat the 2nd Law of its relentlessly dissociative influence locally But of course even biological processes can't cheat the principle globally since photons from the sun are powering the "cheat". We avail ourselves of that power mostly through eating, drinking, and breathing.

19. #19 Charrua, Oct 2, 2014
    You guys should check out the documentary "Fed Up". It's interesting information on our current eating habits as a society and what has led us down this road. Hint: Big corporations.

20. It's not corporations fault. 

If anyone is to blame, its our grandparents. BUT its not like they knowingly did it. 

Heres why.

Our grandparents lived through the great depression, where it was hard to find food to eat. So when they had kids, they didn't want any of their kids to go through that so they overfed their kids. Then their kids (parents now a days) began overfeeding their own kid (this generation) because thats how they were raised.