Cannabis can trigger a heart attack: Risk increases FIVE-fold in the hour after drug is smoked

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by GreenRush, Oct 1, 2014.

:laughing:

these doctors should have their medical licenses revoked.

let's see .. you have an overweight (assuming by higher than normal cholesterol levels) football player that does coke.
    the verdict for clogged artery is ... weed. 

because the doctors cannot presume that this football player ate too much junk food, possibly... 

2. More propaganda from dailymail...

Those who actually study the biochemistry behind cannabis' interaction with our physique would actually insist that, if anything, cannabis use had actually DELAYED the date that this man would have a heart attack  - given the glaringly obvious pre-existing health conditions he had. Not to mention a coke habit?

They may also be well served to learn that according to recent studies, cannabinoids are very heart-healthy. The protection is due primarily to cannabis' ample antioxidant potency; similar to how vitamin E promotes heart health. The same conceptual basis that explains why cannabis is so effective against stress and stressors; remember that oxidative stress (inflammation/free radical damage) is the base of ALL disease. Especially heart disease!

Perhaps they could also be bothered to learn about the endocannabinoid system... beneficial regulatory effects against a myriad of adverse health conditions...?

Another helpful thing to know is that due to the lack of cannabinoid receptors in the medulla oblongata, it's impossible to experience cardiac arrest or respiratory failure from cannabis - in the manner that you could from coke or other narcotics.

Horribly unscientific article. This type of propaganda would get shredded to bits by anyone who has done more than 30 minutes research on cannabis. Was it co-authored by some anti-science shill like Kevin Sabet or what?

It even says he smoked cigs regularly too. I agree, shred their licenses.

Think I'll have another edible!

5. fucking daily mail cunts

6. Daily mail biased against mj?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Easier to call someone a pothead than a fat ass. Doctors get in trouble for telling people, "You're fat/obese/overweight."

This article cracks me up.

10,000 years of recorded cannabis use, this guy is the first to die. BAHAHAHA!

This article is a transparent attempt to get people fired up, guys. That's all. Most people are for prohibition because of tradition and general ignorance. Any intelligent person can come to the conclusion that:
    A) If I'm against doing something, I'm not going to do it, BUT...
    B) It's not my place to say whether someone else can do it.
    and C) I don't want my police bureaus hunting non-violent innocent people with no history when they should be going after true criminals/I'm not a big fan of putting innocent people in jail.

I think it all comes down to business, really. Drug testing companies, pharmaceutical companies, and law enforcement agencies stand to lose a lot of money once cannabis is legalized.

I worked with a an ED doctor last week whose patient said, "I quit smoking marijuana a week ago. Could it be withdrawals?"

His reply, "Nope. That's got nothing to do with it." (Most of them don't even ask about MJ use or don't care because it doesn't do the things this article says it does.)

Cocaine and poor habitus killed this guy.

It's classic post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Ex. (thanks to a fellow blade for this): "I ate fish tacos last night and now I have a headache. I must be allergic to fish tacos."
    There is no evidence to support the last statement.

To quote Samuel L. Jackson, (you have to yell it like Sam would) "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!"

Occam's Razor: This guy's heart was effed up by poor habitus and past cocaine use and finally crapped out on him.

Sent from my garage-run gynecology office using Grasscity Forum.

This the daily mail is shit, don't bother clicking on any of their links.

9. once pots in the picture, it's immediately to blame, and they disregard anything else. with all the beef on cannabis nowadays it's not believable that the first person died from it in this century when it's been used for 100 centuries with no recorded deaths. Just shows u how this shit is so swayed

10. What the hell is up with that joint, that thing is a straight up pinner lol.

11. It said people with pre-existing heart conditions are at risk? So it's the marijuanas fault haha yea alright, all the risk factors of a heart attack is right in front of their faces. He was overweight, had high cholesterol and probably blood pressure to, also has a history with cocaine use and he had blockage in his arteries, arteries don't get clogged over night? Also they reccomend people with heart problems to not drink coffee or smoke cigarettes. Blaming the heart attack on the marijuana is idiotic, the heart attack was inevitable and was probably going to happen even wether he smoked weed or not! Their point is invalid, like I said all the risk factors for a heart attack is right in front of their faces but instead they blame marijuana.... SMH

12. Is Granny still around here?? Always loved to see her shoot this shit down with scientific evidence

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. how i don't see how this is true it has never happened to me yet.

he must have had some good very strong stuff in the brain and
    in the chest. is it the 33-toxsins in cannabis ☺he's smoking a
    cig

14. #15 Palgrave, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
    I have been trolling the drug free america postings on facebook and you would not believe some of the shit I have read in the comments. Had one er nurse say she saw marijuana induced cardiac problems all the time. I told her I knew she was full of shit as I know the world is round.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. #16 Alaric, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
    Marijuana increases heart rate, that is a fact. So people with pre-existing heart conditions and those not caring for themselves after their last angiogram, or those just not caring for themselves should probably get healthy and be careful.

And the person who told the nurse she was wrong, who are you to know better than someone who sees it with their own eyes, *disgust*. 

It is just cannabis, it cannot be perfect and it is not miraculous, nothing is perfect. 

16. Although it's true that it can increase your heart rate, there is nowhere near enough evidence for anyone to state that it can lead to heart problems. This plant has been used for thousands of years but never has this subject come up. Wanna know why? Because this is farfetched nonsense that naive people will easily believe even without any official evidence.

Cannabis isn't perfect but it is miraculous. There are so many beneficial uses for this plant that you can't help but call it a miracle.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Theres never been a time that my BP didnt rise when i smoked.

Always does without fail, mostly from holding hits in.

I dont doubt a heart attack is possible when smoking anything.

Smoke isnt meant to be ingested. We werent designed for that.

My two cents.

18. Actually if anything this has scared me to the effects of being a fat ass.  I need to lose weight.

19. #20 I'm Ron Burgundy?, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014
    Ban this fuck already! Getting tired of reporting these.