My 16 yr old brother started rapping. Check out this track. Let me know what you think

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by The Third Eye, Oct 1, 2014.

1. #1 The Third Eye, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2014
    Check out this track my brother recorded. Him on the verse me on the hook. Any support and feedback is much appreciated. Like and subscribe on soundcloud!
    https://soundcloud.com/tdboss/gyv5

2. #2 MC High've Mind, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014
    Flow's nice, but it's nothing really new, people are getting tired of hearing the same thing over and over again. Yes you can say the same thing as every other artist in a million different phrasings, but if you really want to gain respect and get big on your own, rap from the heart. Tell a story, give some inspiration, talk about things you're really passionate about that effect you and the world around you. This world is going through rough times, people would rather hear an artist give them a boost and reason to keep going, than bragging about their own accomplishments. In short, could you go somewhere? Yes. Will you be remembered after a year if this is the only thing you rap about? Probably not. I'm just trying to be honest here, if this was on the radio I wouldn't be able to tell if it was a new song or just a continuation of the last 30. You have potential, just remember, music from the wallet lasts a year, music from the heart lasts forever.

3. #3 The Third Eye, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
    I don't know what you mean about money from the wallet mate. I recorded this at my personal studio where I do my mixdowns and record other artists :yummy: Aye I appreciate the feedback though. I take it as a compliment you think it would fit in on the radio. Check out the track we just put up. I think my lil bro adds some nice contrast compared to the last song. Definitely one from the heart.
    https://soundcloud.com/tdboss/distant-memories-olay

Thanks for checking us out! :gc_rocks:

4. You live in the Midwest?

Tuckerjonesisreal

5. #5 The Third Eye, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
    Yeah, I do actually Central Tx. You out here too?

6. Join the Midwest movement bruh.

Tuckerjonesisreal

7. What is the midwest movement lol.

8. Vocals are really muddy on my playback. What program are you using to record this, and what kind of microphone? It sounds like a dynamic, and if it is, you can really clean up the vox with some filters and compression, then add a little reverb to soften the sound out. I highly recommend snagging a copy of Cool Edit Pro and Googling for tutorials on how to put a shine on vocals recorded through low-end dynamics...even shitty mics can sound great if you filter and compress 'em the right way.

The lyrics are awful and cliched. Apologies for being so brutally direct, but I've heard approximately 10,000 internet rappers rhyming about how tough they are, how famous they're gonna get, and how ill they think their rhymes are. Why not rhyme about weed instead of the same old faux gangsta shit? It's a lot more fun, I assure you. Delivery is monotone, flow is frequently off-beat. Try writing to the beat and cutting out words if your rhymes are still not falling on the snare. Hitting the snare is really not optional, unless you're way advanced and pulling off insane rhyme schemes with internal rhymes and multisyllabic schemes. And it helps to imagine you are rhyming in front of a crowd instead of a computer...that way, hopefully your delivery is infused with energy instead of monotone.

9. I like it man

Wanna smerk a berl???

10. Music from the wallet is basically just using music as a means of getting money rather than a way to convey a message, i.e. spitting about common ass shit like drug slingin' and killin' dudes like that first song, I'm definitely diggin' the new shit though, tell your bro to keep up the good work!

11. Hope y'all dig my new realness, check it out!
    https://soundcloud.com/mc-highve-mind/highve-mind-peace-riot

12. Nice username