White Bulbous Bugs?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by enterthewurmwhole, Sep 30, 2014.

1. I have a sapling about 3 or 4 days old and just last night i noticed a tiny white round bug crawling in the soil. Then i began to notice even more and more. By the looks of it the bastards are killing my youngster. I have no idea what these are and ive googled the descriptions but i can never find them. Hopefully someone has some experience with these parasites. You can hardly see th because they are the size a grain of sand but if anyone recognizes them and knows how to stop them let me know

Attached Files:

2. Fungus gnat larvae or pupae, whichever is the youngest form. Just a guess ofcourse but I predict in about 5 days you will notice the odd flying black bug with shiney wings flying around. They eat the organic material in your soil, if that gets low they work on your plants roots for their meal.

3. Its inevitable its gonna die im going to toss that soil considering its infested but how can i prevent them next time?

4. Can't tell what kind of bugs but I'm with noizviolation.

Bugs are a natural problem and happen but keeping a clean/healthy environment for your plant is the first thing. Controlling the air/humidity and containments coming into the growing environment is important along with good soil. What kind of soil is it? If it's just some "dirt / compost / potting soil" you had laying around outside God only knows what is living in it and calling it home and they were there first so let them have their home outside. There is tons of info out there on the subject, reading and learning are your best weapons. Look up things like "cannabis pest prevention". Depending on the pest could be as simple as keeping a better temp in the room to keep them away, or something as simple at covering the soil so they cant get the light they need. Just depends on the pest. Learn everything you can about them even if you don't have them, that way if you you ever see a sign you can already have a “heads up” on what might be hurting the ladies.

5. not unusual at all for bags of soil or soil from the outside to have fungus gnats.

To sterilize the soil, put it into a dark light tight container, cover the top with a black plastic bag, set out into the sun for a couple of hours.

If you already have them in your grow area - blag flag insect hangers (something about the yellow color) http://www.blackflag.com/Products/Fly-Stick.aspx

Also you can put a 2 inch coating of sand on top of your soil, or you could use diatomicatecous earth (DE) but that's kind of sketchy dangerous.  $2 for the black flag yellow thingys.

HTH