Two new BS polls show that support for legalization is falling in Colorado and nationally

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by ogderp, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Apparently these polls were released earlier today or yesterday and they were taken by USA Today and Public Religion Research Institute. The USA Today poll, which was also conducted by Suffolk University showed that 50.2% of Colorado voters opposed legalization, while 46% continue to support it. The poll also found 49% of voters disapproved of how the state is managing legal marijuana, with 42% supporting it. The PRRI poll on the national level found that support fell from 51% to 44%

In my opinion, these polls are BS because USA Today opposes cannabis, so of course they aren't going to put out a poll that shows majority support, especially right before more states are voting on legalization. And I don't know if PRRI opposes cannabis or not, but I know that they're not a reputable source like Gallup and that they've been known to publish biased polls. What I think is going on is that this is a dirty trick by prohibitionists to try and make it look like legalization isn't working to try and scare voters this year into not passing legalization in their states.

http://m.gazette.com/two-polls-show-support-for-legal-marijuana-waning-in-colorado-nationally/article/1538438

2. #2 Palgrave, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2014
    I was thinking the same thing. Only negative things I hear about Colorado is that the cost of living increased dramatically but the same person told me an efficiency room costs $1400 in downtown. Um hello its downtown....

Outside of that I know a ton of people who have or will be moving there.

Edit: just read the Florida pro and anti mmj commercials started airing.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2014/09/medical-marijuana-ad-wars-start-in-fl-with-release-of-pro-con-commercials.html

I'll start a new thread with links to the commercial after work. I am sure the polls will start going all over the place now.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Well they don't call it am experiment for nothing.
    The people of co realize that they don't need a weak legalization law like they have. The novilty has wore off.

4. #4 dabs710, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2014
    The headline is misleading, but the facts are good. Only one poll from "Public Religion Research Institute" shows support declining nationally. The rest of the polls I've read show support increasing, including one earlier this month @ 58% for legalization. A seperate poll shows people in Colorado are not happy with their regulations, which I expected to eventually happen at one point. It doesn't mean these people are against legalization / pro-prohibition. Hopefully future intiatives will not "overtax and overregulate". If Oregon succeeds, they will have the least regulations where recreational is concerned. I'm curious of the percentages in Washington State with how many are happy with the regulations there.

5. Well, put it this way. My friend lives in CO, smokes on the daily, and he was never asked to partake in this poll.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. I find it hard to believe that support would be dropping for it. It seems to me like it's finally coming out that people that smoke aren't criminals, they're just potheads. I think people are beginning to get that. I do believe that people are upset with the over-taxation and over-regulation of it, but that's just people.

I don't know. I know what I'm voting though....

7. I am starting to dislike the pothead term. It's like calling someone who is into computers a nerd. That shit may have been kosher in the 80s but now it's a bad stereotype.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. People not upset over overtaxing and over regulating. Yeah. We all love that.

9. First polls really are a good guess at best. But I find it funny guys like you only embrace polls that say what you want them to say. Like the 88% approval of MMJ in FL. I know a lot of people loved that one. But really who in their right mind thinks any topics enjoys that much support outside of a Jr High poll?

10. I'm just saying that I think the polls are flawed because they didn't come from reputable sources. If it came from someone like Gallup, I would've believed it. USA today is anti cannabis and PRRI has been known to put out biased polls.

11. If the government doesn't want my money then I have no issues continuing to buy off the street.

How do you know "USA Today opposes cannabis"? A newspaper is not a monolithic entity, and the opinion page staff are strictly separate from the editorial (aka news) staff and any other divisions, including polling arms. Now it's entirely possible that USA Today ran an editorial opposing legalization in the past, but it's also as likely that they ran a pro-legalization editorial as well. Or more than one. USAT is owned by Gannett, the corporate king of blandly balanced news.

As for a newspaper's opinion stance impacting polls, that's not reality. There's no way the opinion page editors would manipulate poll results or work with the pollsters to manipulate poll results. First of all, they don't care enough to do that. Second, it would be a major ethics violation and would cost them their jobs if they were caught.

You might take issue with how the questions were asked, or the size of the polling sample, but there is no conspiracy to fudge poll results.

13. I stop taking any "Institute" seriously that begins with Public Religion. 

14. #14 ogderp, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014
    I just got that impression because all of the articles I've read from them portrays cannabis and legalization in a negative light, but I could be wrong I guess, maybe just read the wrong articles. I know my local newspaper is very anti cannabis and never says anything positive about it. Now everyone's talking about governor Hickenlooper calling legalization reckless and how the GOP candidate running against him wants to try and repeal amendment 64 if he wins.

Gotcha. Well, USA Today is a national paper with huge readership, but it's not really influential and it doesn't set the tone for other newspapers to follow. They've moved away from taking the government's word as gospel when it comes to drug issues and marijuana legalization, which is a positive step.