Alcoholism, is there a standard?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Upstatenewb, Sep 30, 2014.

1. So I'm wondering what does it mean to be an alcoholic? I've been called one by Drs, counselors , parents and friends but I do not quite see how they define the term "alcoholic".

Everyone always says " your drinking is a problem", but to me it is not a problem, if it is a problem to them that's their problem, if someone is happy doing what they do and their drinking doesn't interfere with their day to day life or otherwise inhibit their aspirations what's the big deal?

Personally I drink on average 4 liters of 80 proof booze per 7 days. Some evening between 8pm and 1am I'll drink a 750ml of black velvet and some days I'll drink .5l, never less. I never have hangovers and I never miss appointments or show up late for work. I put in 40-50 hours a week and have a very solid record. I don't lose my temper or get mean, I don't piss myself or act a fool. I have non drinking hobbies that are fulfilling and I live quite a great life. I just like to drink at days end.

Now people around me who have see the consumption or know about it would and do say I have a problem, I just cannot seem to figure out why? I honestly believe it is because most people have been brought up to believe that there is a standard for everything and beyond those norms must lie a problem. It is very funny to me and I'm just curious what y'all think?

In short if someone lives a fulfilling life, meets all their responsibilities, acts responsible, but drinks a lot at home, does that make them an alcoholic and if so why is that a problem?

2. #2 As Above So Below, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2014
    You are a high functioning alcoholic (HFA).

I am the same way. 

It starts out you being okay, but over the years it builds up and it will start to affect you... Trust me I might not drink as much as you but I drank a lot...

Years later it does affect you.

And plus all that alcohol really just isn't good for your body.

From one HFA to another, CUT BACK while you can.

I say cut back because you are obviously handling things well, HFA's usually do. 

Cut back so your tolerance drops but still drink, just don't be drinking as much.

The only reason I am concerned is because of the amount you drink. Alcohol poisoning can happen!

EDIT: Little snippet from wiki:

3. I should say I'm 6'1 300lbs, and have been drinking since my teens. See the term alcoholic makes me feel like people think I couldn't stop tomorrow if I wanted too, and I know without a doubt I could. Drinking just seems normal, it's funny because I don't like to drink with people because they get obnoxious and I'm like y'all serious? Thanks for the reply

4. Oh okay, with that weight that makes sense. A 750 mL bottle would tank me lol. 

Yeah I drink by myself because other people get drunk and can't handle their shit! The amount of stupid I've put up with over the years because some drunk person couldn't hold it... 

It sounds like you are good though man. 

I would see if you can quit for 7 days straight. If you can then you don't have a problem. If you start to feel like shit (withdrawal) and drink to feel better, you have an issue. You probably won't get any withdrawals but just try 7 days.

5. Thanks brother, I Quitting drinking for a week I could definitely kick smoking Marlboros! I can go all day with no smokes then come ten pm and I'm like geez why not. But hell if I'm gonna quit drinking and smoking for a week I might just as well do a ten day water fast!!!!

6. An alcoholic will use any excuse to drink .

" Its Sunday: Jesus had wine !

Its Monday: first day back on the job !

Its Tuesday: kids getting on my nerves !

Its Wednesday: hump day!

Its Thursday: almost Friday!

Its Friday: thank god!

Its Saturday: that's what im sayin! " -Eddie Griffin

I clean table ... I clean mouth ... You breathe deep

Anybody that drinks more than me is an alcoholic. :mad:

Seriously:

The drug & alcohol counselors believe that anyone who has a couple on New Year's Eve is an alcoholic. We can thank the hysterical MADD bitches for this, mostly.

My 2nd wife (late) was an alcoholic. Actually I drank as much as she did, the difference being I didn't try to hide it. I would come home from work and she would be shitfaced, trying to cook dinner. She would try to hide it, but to someone just getting out of work it was pretty obvious. Aside from all that she was crazy.

And alcoholics are chronic liars, as was she.

About 10-15 years ago I dated a VA nurse, who at one point was doing substance counseling (she did like to drink though). She said it was standard practice, when asking someone how much they drank, to automatically double it, lol.

If it doesn't interfere with your job or love-life, then you're fine IMO. In "an earlier life" I worked for an Austrian guy (who loved wine and schnapps) and he had the philosophy that it's okay to drink hard as long as you also work hard. He certainly did both.

8. Seeing as you are an HFA, you are able to maintain a good lifestyle without having to sacrifice using alcohol. This is great if all you care about is financial success and work life success, but if you also value (which you do) other parts of life, including your health, you would significantly reduce your alcoohol intake or completely cease drinking all together.

Now you know the health consequences of drinking and you do value a long happy life, yet you continue to drink. This shows that you are starting to have a problem, and even if the habit/addiction hasnt manifested into physical dependency, doesnt mean that your problem isnt any less crucial to stop, and may be even more important because the earlier you quit the easier it is to stay off.

9. A priest, a rabbi, a fat black guy and Dolly Parton walk into a bar.

The bartender looks at them and says, "What is this? Some kind of joke?"

10. It's not about being able to handle your alcohol it's about using it as a crutch to get through life. If you can quit tomorrow why don't you? You will be more more productive and healthy.. because you "enjoy" drinking everyday?

11. The fact that youre taking the time out to think about it and asking for opinions should be self explanitory.

However i adhear to the whole"that cig will kill you" ,"lifell kill you" theory.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. Yeah you pretty much nailed it, I don't quit because I enjoy it!

Yeah, I mean, people always say you will be more productive and happy, just using myself as an example, I'm as productive as I want to be, and I am as happy as they come. I don't really subscribe to the notion that people who drink are unhappy or otherwise being held back by their choice to drink. I mean heck, I don't want to be working all the time or gardening or swimming at the beach, I do all of those things (work and play)and still when I sit down at the end of a day my happy choice is to have a drink.

My Intentions here were not to evaluate whether or not I am an alcoholic, I was just using me as an example to see what different people thought about what alcoholism is considered, not fighting here, just seeing how different people think.

Enjoy a drink and fuck the alcohol Nazis. [​IMG][​IMG]  [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Don't worry about your alcohol consumption, instead focus o your food intake. It's not good to weigh 300. Not to be a dick, but it's not even about longevity, but wellbeing. You will feel better overall.

15. I'm not trying to fight with ya either. If you replaced the word drink with bowl then this could be my story lol so I would be hypocritical to say you're wrong.

I don't think drinking is a bad thing but I think it's easy to take it too far. Usually drinking everyday and other people expressing their concerns are red flags.

My advice is just be honest with yourself and self reflect thoroughly. I know you said the question is not about you but it's kind of hard to avoid because there is not just one kind of alcoholic.

16. #16 Uncle_Meat420, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2014

How do you know you don't act a fool? 

You probably spend alot of time at home drunk right? Try doing something else like getting a hobby

Also try not drinking for a few days. Do you feel sick? That is a sign of physical alcohol dependence, something that doesn't happen from THC.

17. I know I don't act a fool because I'm conscious of my actions, we are not talking about Getting blacked out here. As for Hobbies go.... Monday night is free, Tuesday night I shoot on a trap league at the gun club, Wednesday I play on a dart league, On Thursdays we rotate the house and do Thursday night dinner with several friends in addition to these hobbies I spend a lot of time in my
    Woodshop. My schedule is full brother, I do spend a lot
    Of time home drunk too, after all of my
    Work and play is done. Perhaps it is just hard to understand that people can be happy and live fulfilling lives and still like to drink.
    Again thanks for your thoughts on the subject, getting other people's views was the point!

Don't mind the spelling and punctuation problems here I just updated to iOS 8 and it's taking some getting used to this new
    Keyboard

18. As long as you get your shit done I don't think it's a huge issue. I mean drinking isn't good for your health but it isn't super terrible, well maybe drinking every day is, but shit, smoking weed is bad for your lungs and nobody worries about that.

19. but you technically should be content and not have to drink especially cuz its causes serious health implications in the long run. knowing this issue you still choose to drink. Thus, drinking is, according to you, more beneficial then negative. This means that drinking is covering a problem you may have such as anxiety or depression.

20. I'm an alcoholic and drug addict but i'v been clean for a long time. I have a few drinks throughout the week though and on days that i'm free I might start drinking before noon. I'd say once a month I go out craving booze and drink my face off, where in after I wake up, i'll drink a "pick me up".

I'll always be addicted to narcotics and I will always be an alcoholic. The key is to recognize this, accept it and to always remind yourself, "one more, one more, ten more, floor."

Nobody likes to kiss the floor.