Monochromatic Flowering -or- Lokis Blue Light Special

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Loki7, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Hmm interesting... I'm subbed. Sounds interesting and I'm interested to see the quality of the final product.

2. I thought I had an extra  temperature/humidity module laying around somewhere and I thought I'd add it to the new keg and log the temp/humidity during the grow, just for giggles... when I found an extra FEZ Raptor main board.

The FEZ Cerberus I was planning on using is nice and small, but not very powerful. The FEZ Raptor is about 4x as big, but a lot more powerful. I was looking into what extra modules I have available and I found 2 cameras, wifi, SD card and a touch screen.  Oddly, I still haven't found the temp/humidity module, but I'm sure I have one somewhere... 

I have some silver filament colorant that I haven't tried yet. If I could print a fairly realistic lid for the keg out of plastic, I could make a spot in it to hold the wifi antenna and hinge it so it could flip up and reveal the LCD touch screen... letting me look into the keg without actually opening it up and control the lights, pump and fan. And I could have it save pics at regular intervals and create a time lapse video of the grow... I dunno, maybe I'll save that for version 3.

-Loki

3. that sounds awesome man...I've been itching to do a time lapse of buds developing for a long time now. I've never been able to find a video of it. I've always thought that would be amazing to see the pistils popping out and curling and stuff..

4. #27 InternationalHarvester, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
    Sick man! I have access to 3 different types of printers, flashforge, makerbot, and I forget the name of the powder printer. You like printing with ABS better than PLA? I am sure @Case22 will find his way over here, he is working out a small inline carbon filter that he wants to 3d print once the design is perfected. What's the size of your printing bed?

I guess ABS makes more sense in a grow environment due to its exposure to heat, stronger too.

I almost always print with ABS. I have some PLA and if I have a part that I can't stop from warping in ABS, I'll bust out the PLA.

My print bed is like 20cm x 30cm, but my total build area is 80cm x 80cm x 80cm. It's bigger than most 3D printers, but it only has one extruder. I'm building a huge rostock printer with an Azteeg X3 Pro controller and a Kracken 4 extruder water cooled hot end. The build plate is a 34" diameter circular piece of 3/4" thick tempered glass with nitinol wire heating and it stands about 6' tall. I can't wait to print with multiple materials and dissolvable support material.

-Loki

6. Dude that's so awesome! 4 extruders!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. I still can't wrap my head around 3d printing and been researching since this thread.. My hat goes off to you sir loki

8. #32 Loki7, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2014

It's getting there.. Bottom parts are just about done. I'm reprinting the removeable res so the tabs are stronger and it's a little bigger. After test fitting it, there was more room than I expected, so I scaled the removeable res up by 2% and made the bottom a bit thicker. And I rounded the tabs...

-Loki

Attached Files:

9. That looks cool as hell I wish I could get my hands on 3d printer

10. #34 Loki7, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2014

You can build your own 3D printer for about $200... It takes a while to get the hang of it. I spent a month tweaking things before I had decent prints. And then I started making my own filament and that was a whole other learning curve. But I've finally got the kinks worked out of extruding and winding and now my filament is really consistent and auto winding on spools. Filament is expensive. 1 kg of filament is about $35 delivered. ABS pellets are about $10/kg... so do the math and making your own filament is over 3x cheaper than buying it.

And after I make another 10 or 20 lbs of filament and the equipment will have paid for itself.  :hide:

-Loki

11. Damn man that's crazy I will deff have to look into this

12. #36 Loki7, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2014
    I'm still printing parts out but ran out of blue filament. I just finished making a spool of light blue filament, so I'll start printing again soon with it.

While the blue filament was extruding, I was looking for vape mods like the microstick or the gizmo. They are all really expensive and out of stock. Then I happened on a DIY box mod video. It's retardedly easy to make your own mods. So, I'm going to make my own Microstick/Gizmo mod. I got the parts ordered. It's going to be a 3v-6v variable mod with low voltage protection... with a 3D printed case.

I have a Kanger Tech Pro Tank II with 18350 batteries that I use with a mini Burst mod. I'm going to make my Microstick/Gizmo style mod to use them. The Pro Tank II is something like 20mm diameter.

-Loki

Attached Files:

13. #37 Loki7, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2014
    I've started printing out the last pieces of the mini keg and there isn't anything new to post... but... I received the fire button, OKR chip and 510 connector, so before I started I printed out a copy of my mini vape to test fit things. It needs to be about a centimeter taller, but the button and atomizer fit well...

-Loki

Attached Files:

14. #38 Loki7, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014
    It's hard to see in the pics, but the 3D prints all had flaws... not major flaws, but the surfaces had lots of tiny holes. So I decided to make changes and test on the mini vape body. I don't know if you can see in the pic now, but it's 100x better. It's not quite perfect, but 95%...

Okay, now back to work...

-Loki

Attached Files:

15. Hows this working out??

16. I think he may have printed himself a little privacy box and hid away....