Monochromatic Flowering -or- Lokis Blue Light Special

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Loki7, Sep 30, 2014.

1. For this grow I'm going to recycle a past grow - the Keg of Green - which never really produced mostly because of neglect. The problem with the first version of the Keg of Green was that the plant didn't come out very easily and you can't really inspect a plant in a mini keg...

The new version will use Gadgeteer electronics to control the lights, fan and water pump. The brain is a FEZ Cerberus and a Load module will provide 8 switches. I've designed just about everything inside the mini keg in SketchUp to be 3D printed. The res is printing now...

The monochromatic flowering means I'm only going to use blue light during flowering. The Keg will have 30 Blue LEDs and 6 White LEDs, but the white LEDs will only be used during the veg stage.

I'm hoping the plant will be easy enough to remove from the mini keg that I'll be able to use the "Donovan the Simple's Technique". Donovan was a guy I knew back in the day who had just a handful of brain cells, but he knew how to turn a plant into one gigantic single bud.

Anyway... as things get printed there will be pics. And once it's ready, I'll find a suitable clone and we'll grow some crazy weed in a mini keg.

-Loki

Attached Files:

2. This is gonna be epic

3. #4 Loki7, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2014
    A couple screen shots of the 3d models...

-Loki

Attached Files:

4. Genius. 

5. awesome...I'm excited to see how this goes :)

6. #7 Loki7, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2014
    The filament I'm using I made from a new kind of ABS. Over all I think it works pretty well, but I had two extruder clogs. It was probably my fault for not keeping my filament extruder clean enough. 

The res halves take about 4 and a half hours to print. One failed after almost 4 hours and the other at about 3 hours...  :devious:

I decided to print a few of the smaller parts and work my way up.

-Loki

Attached Files:

7. #9 Loki7, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2014
    An x ray view of the res...

-Loki

Attached Files:

• xray.jpg
      xray.jpg
      File size:
      329.8 KB
      Views:
  8. amazing stuff...3d printers still trip me out. I saw a 3d printing pen the other day and it blew my mind. I can't even imagine owning one and being able to make whatever...I do so many projects crafted out of multiple tiny pieces of wood..

Loki, is this gonna be the first ever 3d printed grow? ;) 

9. #11 Loki7, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014

Funny you should mention it, but I should have a 3D pen soon too... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lix3d/lix-the-smallest-3d-printing-pen-in-the-world It seems like it's been ages since this started, but they are going into production soon. Should have it by Christmas.  :hello:

I don't know if this is going to be a first for 3D printing. Probably the first  3D printed stealth growing insert for a mini keg... 

The main problem with the previous version of the mini keg was doing anything to the plant while it was in the mini keg was nearly impossible and taking the plant out and getting it back in the mini keg was a complete pain in the ass... Version 2 solves that by separating the res into a inner and outer section. The outer section stays in the mini keg and the inner section holds the plant and can be easily lifted out of the mini keg.

To connect the outer res to the inner res, I'll have a hose connected to a pump in the outer res and the hose will have a fitting that plugs into the inner res. The plug will have a long handle on it so it can be connected/disconnected without having to reach very far into the mini keg. The handle will be a common drinking straw which will also serve a second purpose and supply air to the venturi valve built into the connector plug. So the res will be oxygenated while the pump circulates nutrient mix.

-Loki

Attached Files:

I've been thinking about it for nearly a year since the first version turned out so disappointing. I'd guess I've spent maybe 4-6 hours on the 3D models so far. I'll probably spend a couple more hours and redesign the top part to increase air flow, but I'll print out a copy of how it is now to test the fit of the fan and then go from there.

-Loki

11. dude this is so cool...

can you use your 3d printer to make another 3d printer? Or is that not allowed...kinda like wishing for more wishes... ;)

12. #15 DazedAndStoned, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014
    As an engineer student I must say this is impressive sir, I have some plans kinda similar once I get my 3D printer around new years.

@@"Bongsauce"
    edit: how the fuck do you tag people on here
    Yes they have open source 3D printers, some materials you still need to buy but if you already have a printer you can significantly reduce costs of expansion to just the step motors, rods and platforms and wiring, all the little brackets and do hickeys can be made in a few minutes and printed in a few hours. My friend has like 5 or 6 now, he runs a small printing/cnc business he built all himself for cheap.

Sent from my Spaceship using the GrassCity App.

13. #16 Loki7, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014

Actually, you can and I did. I started with a Mendel RepRap, then printed a super sized RepRap which I'm using now. And I'm in the process of printing a huge 6" rostock printer with a 4 extruder Kracken hot end.

They are hella fun, especially once you get the hang of a 3D modeling software like SketchUp. You start looking at things like, "I could print that... " lol

-Loki

14. #17 Loki7, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
    The main res is printed and so is the res water plug thing. The plug thing took a few rounds of tweaking to get it just right. I connected it to the pump and it aerates really well. Here are some pics...

-Loki

Attached Files:

15. Trippy man...don't have any experience with 3D printing. Just wondering why you are using blues for flowering instead of reds? General consensus is to use blue in veg and red in flower... so just wondering since it seems you put a shitload of thought into this I am thinking there is probably some sort of logic behind it :)

The idea with the blue LEDs is that Phytochrome reacts to red and far red light. I've manipulated the flowering cycle with far red light before and while that works, it also triggers stretching. With only blue light, Pfr will degrade to Pr. Pr in the plant's system tells the plant there has been 12 hours of darkness which in turn causes the plant to flower. 

So, when I'm ready to start flowering, I'll just turn off the white LEDs and the blue LEDs will stay on 24/7.

-Loki

17. train by day, 3-d print hydro equipment by night, all day. Powerful loki....