First grow - closet - bugs

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Unik04, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Wow, toker conflict, a rare unicorn indeed. Let's try to be on our best behaviour for the new members, ya?

Unik, I think a major takeway from this debate is to be aware of what you put on your plants, cos you're going to consume that shit later in one form or another. I understand where both these guys are coming from. Gandolf would prefer to err on the safe side by using a minimum amount of potentially toxic chemicals whereas others accept a small level of risk with trace toxins. A lot of these toxins exist already in much of the food we eat, unfortunately. It's a sad reality of our world.

As a biologist and environmental scientist (no shit here, earned my masters last May), i understand both sides and they are both to some degree correct. Here in Switzerland we still cannot grow legally, but concerns about toxic additives in commercial cannabis is a growing health concern here as many growers apply extreme amounts of these toxins. Use those substances approved for agricultural use sparingly, just enough to surpress the problem but not so much that you poison yourself.

Let's try to keep our egos and pride in check to help his grower out without conflict. The herb has the power to reduce conflict in this world, so let's all take a hit and chill. As long as we raise up a nice crop of buds, no worries! Leave the fisticuffs to the other assholes of the world, not fellow gc members!

2. Unik

All well bro?  Update on the plants and bugs?

My issues with Poke go far beyond his recommending carcinogens and giving bad info about neem oil, but don't bear repeating here.  Just don't like that everyone is boiling this down to a disagreement about growing methods.... I don't get worked up just because someone disagrees about how to grow.....

Swissgrower, as a biologist and environmental scientist, and Swiss citizen, you must be aware of the Precautionary Principle.... it has been made a part of the law of the European Union....  

I wonder if it's a coincidence the EU decided to ban Dichlorvos and prevent sale of any products containing Dichlorvos as of Nov 2012? They found that the evidence of it being a genotoxic carcinogen was too great... including exposure via inhalation.  http://www.hse.gov.uk/biocides/copr/dichlorvos.htm

I, too, have graduate degrees in the environmental law/science field....

4. I totally understand where you're coming from, Gandolf, and I respect your experience. Not trying to get in the middle of an existing quarrel.

I also agree with and employ the precautionary principle myself. Seems like whenever I've taken "emergency measures" with toxins it rarely becomes routine practice. Litfa, ipm, etc work best. I'm also a realist and acknowledge that these modern industrial agricultural substances are available and are sometimes helpful or necessary. I'm sure you agree that the application rate of these substances is relevant when assessing risk.

I'm originally from san francisco, don't have a swiss passport yet. Glad to see another grower with an academic background here, it shows in your citing of sources, helps with the signal to noise ratio here. After reading about some of the problems with large scale conventional cannabis production in CO and CA, I see opportunities in developing more sustainable growing practices to get ahead of the regulations and backlash. Have you considered applying your training as a consultant within the legal industry in the US? Cheers

Helpful- perhaps.  Necessary- never.

Application rate is relevant, yes..... but I wouldn't use, on a plant that I plan to consume, a product whose active ingredients were cyanide and arsenic, even if the application rates were below the levels at which those compounds have been proven to be lethal and/or carcinogenic.  Based on the precautionary principle, I would like to eliminate my exposure to genotoxic carcinogens, where alternatives exist.  And this is an area (IPM) where alternatives abound.

I think it is very likely that within 20 years, cannabis will be regulated under the USDA's National Organic Program (NOP), along with several other organic certification agencies.  A large portion of cannabis consumers definitely care about pesticides and synthetic chemicals/nutrients, both from an environmental AND personal health perspective.

I am currently in the process of considering a career shift, from environmental law to MMJ law..... still undecided.... would have to take the Bar again lol ughhhhhh

6. My field work has been with rainfed smallholder rice producers in se asia, which is what i had in mind, not just cannabis. When losing a crop means losing a child, we make compromises. With herb I totally agree. Commercial weed is like junk food, it doesn't look or smell healthy either. Funny how acquaintances who called me a crazy freak for investing time and energy into more holistic growing practices are now the ones constantly asking when I'll be harvesting. The proof is in the product.

I'm eager for the US to get its shit together legally so the other countries can benefit from the stability clear legislation, especially re banking and finance apply. I'd love to start up a "biomedical research" firm here focused on canna meds. Make the change, sensible society needs you.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Unik. Carry on!

7. #108 Unik04, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014
    It's all good, very interesting stuff

Ok guys sorry for the wait, I was busy with other stuff,  but here it is! 

The plants are growing very good, I added the leaf mold but not the horse trail yet because I need to go to a special area where it grows (I'm going Monday) because what I thought was horse tail at first, was not.

I still have a few spiders and whatnot but very little since I used the End All II product.

Here's a few pic I took this morning (Banana for scale)

So far, this whole thing as been very fun and a good learning experience tanks to all of you guys. I'm already looking at what I'll be growing next and how.

Good day to all of y'all!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. When you water, is the water still draining alright?  Some of that leaf mold looks like the consistency of mud lol  If it's too thick and water isn't draining alright, you could mix it 50/50 with hay or yard leaves or chopped dandelion leaves or whatever lol  Even chopped up horsetail or stinging nettle plants would be fine.

9. Well this was before I water them, I get that stuff around a lake so it's a little muddy but, look a them now

[​IMG]

10. lol yeah I get all my computer stuff from newegg, they have very good prices and 2 day shipping.

I like to build my computers myself

My Rig:

GeForce GTX 650
    Sandy Bridge I7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz  3.80 GHz
    GSKILL 16 GB ram
    Sandisk SSD 128 gb
    Barracuda 2TB hard drive
    GA-Z68XP-UD3 motherboard
    Windows 8.1

Cheers

[​IMG]

11. Unik use that fucking computer to look up proper soil. Lmao looks like mud man no offense. But notice a lot better outcome.

12. Hi Guys!

The buds are growing great.

Another 2 week maybe. I'm getting a 20x microscope tomorrow, that way I'll know when to harvest for sure.

[​IMG][​IMG]Cheers

13. Looking good unik, nice to see they still going :)

Be careful with your nutes tho man!
    Your getting some nute burn, if the leaves are burnt like that then the roots must be screaming.

Is the burn spreading up the leaves from the tips or is it old burns?

Chef.

Headchefs indoor and outdoor adventures! - http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1289059-
    PM me for The Vault Seed Bank's details and a discount code!
    So many people asking :)

14. Nice man good job bud.

15. Most likely old burns from all they been trough. Doesn't bother me much as I'm going to harvest very soon.

I barely give them any nutriments now.

Good day to everyone!

16. my shit got busted

17. idiot roommate