Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Police spotting marijuana plants from the air?

• Please log in to reply

PhD CrAzY

PhD CrAzY

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hey im probably going to start growing outdoors here pretty soon and one of the things thats been worrying me is the police spotting my plants from the air. People have told me that they have infra red scanners in the helicoptors that can detect marijuana plants. Has anyone else ever heard of this or heard of someone being caught this way? I am growing in a very secluded spot but i am growing alot of plants. (about 40 over an acre of land) They say if you put them close together that they can detect them because they are in close proximity. So any info on this would be cool. thanks

Krahnik06

Krahnik06

Midnight Toker

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
What I know about this is that police choppers used to use their FLIR (Foward Looking InfraRed) Cameras to spot Grow lights and other significant heat sources of a grow operation...

However I believe that they are no longer allowed to use this equipment for detecting grow rooms as it is intended to help in police pursuits...

Anyway if you are growing outdoors then i would assume you wouldn't have any electrical lights around you plants anyway... I would recommend just planting some other non-MJ plants nearby to help disguise your ladies and hope for the best...

Edit: Check out this link for some more Info
http://cannabiscultu...icles/4291.html

BillyBongThorto

BillyBongThorto

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
the thing is, the cops dont really care about 5-6 plants, because

1. they would have to varify it is weed with a helicopter.
2. then they would have to go get a warrent for a raid (pretty hard to invade if you know how to use your rights)
3. if you have it near other plants, they probably wont even see them (try tomatoes, worked for me)

they wouldnt want to go through all of that shit just to bust a stoner at home, they want the big guys

I grew for the first time last year, and i was A ok..

have fun growing:smoking:

watarethose

watarethose

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I live right pretty close to the susquehana, and I know from others experience that helicopters are very able to spot I'd say anything over 10 plants. I've heard that they have technology that is able to spot mj due to the amount of heat the plants give off..im not sure how true this is but i've seen them do helicopter passes, and they are relatively low to the ground (low enough to spot mj plants) due to the distinguishable color.

FrostAie

FrostAie

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,894 posts
For this years upcoming outdoor grow i plan to grow plants im multiple places... Im going to grow in patches of 6-8 plants spread out in about 5 differnt fields/woods edges. This way if one or 2 patches get discovered by the copters ill still be in good shape. and i noticed the fields they check by watching them fly around me last fall around early september. Remember when going to check on ur plants always bring a "fishing pole" or a Air Rifle or regular rifle in cased spotted out in the wilderness with no reason u now have one :) I will keep a grow journal this year so i hope u guys enjoy checking back with me in late may :wave:

sky dog

sky dog

the way of the future

• Bronze Member
  • 13,108 posts

flashlight

flashlight

• Registered Upgraded
  • 2,086 posts
planting an acres of weed sounds a little tought to do with out getting caught but i dont know...if i live alone, i would prolly plant like 3 or 4 and i would just scatter them around my yard..but i have a priivate yard and never see any choppers flying around

tokintiff123

tokintiff123

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

What I know about this is that police choppers used to use their FLIR (Foward Looking InfraRed) Cameras to spot Grow lights and other significant heat sources of a grow operation...

However I believe that they are no longer allowed to use this equipment for detecting grow rooms as it is intended to help in police pursuits...

hey all its ChrismithySMD on my girls unsername but yeah i recently heard something similar but here in fl i heard its because of tanning beds or w/e but i dunno does anyone know anyymore about this stufff?:confused: i wanna start a closet grow soon and wnana know aobut that shit and at the moment im lazy and jsut wnana look at ganja not state laws online.....:smoking:

thatstikyicky

thatstikyicky

smoke dank

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
If your only growing a few plants just have them in a yard next to some other non suspicious ones.

what I have heard is that what police copters identify is the color of the foliage. Most growers supply good soil and nutrients, and this gives cannabis plants a distinctly healther green look. But I would only worry if you were trying a large grow in the back country, not a couple plants in the backyard.

Horus XCIII

Horus XCIII

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,287 posts
In VA they don't use choppers anymore. They used to though.

stickyone13

stickyone13

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,803 posts
you'll probably be fine for a closet grow. i'm assuming it'll only be a couple plants. just don't be an idiot. there was a guy at the country club a buddy of mine works at that got raided thanks to a heli-scan, but when they found his shit, they laughed at him and left him alone, cause he only had 1 plant, but he had enough lights for 15-20, and used them all. needless to say, his plant was dying when they found it.

own3d421

own3d421

Cannabis Enthusiast

• Registered Upgraded
  • 2,305 posts
go for the famous fake pool trick *as seen in Cheech & Chongs Up In Smoke*.

markdubz

markdubz

Daily Toker

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
man.. i probably wouldnt suggest growing 40 plants at all, but i guess im not that much of a risk taker. i guess someone has to do it to in oder to provide bud for the common people, but you could easily restrict yourself to 4 plants and still make good profit and smoke for free. your desicion though, thats just my opinion.

Horus XCIII

Horus XCIII

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,287 posts

man.. i probably wouldnt suggest growing 40 plants at all, but i guess im not that much of a risk taker. i guess someone has to do it to in oder to provide bud for the common people, but you could easily restrict yourself to 4 plants and still make good profit and smoke for free. your desicion though, thats just my opinion.

Depends on how much you smoke. I'd say forty plants isn't that unreasonable. That means 20 female plants, most plants give only like two ounces, so you'd have forty ounces: less than an ounce a week. I know plenty of people who smoke that much and don't even grow.

Livingalife

Livingalife

Recreational Smoker

• Registered Upgraded
  • 3,025 posts
I think there talking about spotting the huge fields like like 70-100 plants + Remember if the cops are gonna bust sissy cannabis there gonna go for the big busts. Only in certain areas like Miami or so do they try to bust the people carrying 1-7g's. There are also belive it or not farmers who farm it and sell it in the northeast and throughout the U.S. thats what there gonna do get on the helicopter and see whats up around the area. I dought there gonna be like Oh look at that place 3 plants les bust it lol :smoking:

ADVOR

ADVOR

You Enjoy Myself

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,500 posts
My friend's stepdad had 40 plants in his shed (suburban middle class neighborhood, houses really close together), and a helicopter somehow got tipped off, and a whole bunch of guys dropped down with mp5's and busted into his house and caught him sittin' on the couch stoned off his ass.

Livingalife

Livingalife

Recreational Smoker

• Registered Upgraded
  • 3,025 posts
Hmm maybe not, damn they must be more stricter on growing it. My friends friend was a former cop and thats what he told us and all the other things like 9 your fine and 10 your mine for speed limit and some other shit. Well damn I don't know what you should do then:confused:

dbpwattack

dbpwattack

Where are you in remember

• Registered Upgraded
  • 956 posts

the thing is, the cops dont really care about 5-6 plants, because

1. they would have to varify it is weed with a helicopter.
2. then they would have to go get a warrent for a raid (pretty hard to invade if you know how to use your rights)
3. if you have it near other plants, they probably wont even see them (try tomatoes, worked for me)

they wouldnt want to go through all of that shit just to bust a stoner at home, they want the big guys

I grew for the first time last year, and i was A ok..

have fun growing:smoking:

actually under the patriot act there is no need to get a warrant now. any criminal activity is now considered "terroist" activity

sativahybrid024

sativahybrid024

crystaly herbismaximus

• Registered Upgraded
  • 386 posts
The breeds of conifer trees we have here in upstate NY give off similar heat signatures, so i plant around them

IG315

IG315

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
I don't know who it was but a guy down the road from me got busted with 100+ plants in northern indiana and when they flew over my house they where only at about 80 ft. so yes its easy enough to see a large group even if you spread them out. Personally i would rather be stealthy and keep my record as clean as possible and not risk the bite in the ass when/if you get caught.:rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users