Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Nicotine Addiction Vs Marijuana Addiction

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Palgrave, Sep 28, 2014.

1. <span><span><span>You want to talk about addiction? I smoked for 24 years, tried every method to quit, gums, patches, prescriptions. This Tuesday I am 14 weeks a non smoker, quit cold turkey and I did it with the help of marijuana. The first 3 days were the worst, any s</span><span><span>moker will tell you, that's the nicotine leaving your body. The next three weeks are bad, your irritable, cant sleep, don't know what to do with yourself because your out of your daily routine. After the third week it is just about maintaining that non smoking attitude, avoiding your triggers like going to the bars or stepping outside on break. It takes six months of feeling that way until you are in the safety zone of relapsing and lighting up a cig. Anyone who has or currently does smoke knows what i just wrote is the truth and I know what I am talking about. When it comes to marijuana addiction and quitting the total period is two days of irritability. And for the people who have never smoked cigs, quitting cold turkey is just as hard as quitting black tar heroin. I have never tried heroin but it sucks! When i needed help I smoked some marijuana, I would roll a J and pretend it was a cig, the buzz would keep me from being irritable </span></span></span></span>

2. i like your take on this. i used this method to cut my narcotic pain med use.

3. That's awesome! Anyone else have any stories about how marijuana helped them to cut a habit or addiction?

4. I hope to one day use marijuana to help me kick the habit, but for now I truly enjoy smoking cigarettes...unfortunately.

Anyone who read this, NEVER TRY A CIGARETTE!

• Like Like x 1
    Good for you man!  This is a great story.

Now get on some next level shit and stop smoking(combustion) and start vaporizing!

6. I loved smoking cigs....I quit in 1976...but I still feel like I could relapse and be smoking a pack a day again in a week...

I enjoy smoking joints, it takes me back to that pleasurable cigarette feeling, but no way is weed anything like cigs, dependance wise.....

7. #7 Palgrave, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2014
    From what I understand the feeling is forever for cigs, statistics i have read show that the 6 month mark is when you see higher success rates for staying off. I figure I am still in the danger zone until then but i am really unconcerned thanks to marijuana. I got a little cig roller that i roll up with anything from donkey goatfucker weed to purple urkle (trying that out now hee hee) and all is well with the world.

Btw lately my money has been tight so I had to quit buying bud. I have been a daily smoker for 2 years now give or take a day up to a month off and when i don't have my daily buzz the first two days suck and then by day three i could care less. 

Yeah e-cigs I tried before and using vaping pens for thc I find a j or blunt rolled to the size of a cig works best. I want to try the volcano, i hear it is the best way to vape and conserve your stash but hella expensive.

8. @[member="Palgrave"]
    For years after I quit I'd have really vivid dreams about smoking, so realistic that I would feel guilty for an hour after I woke up...

Both my parents were life long smokers, and both died from lung cancer. My mom smoked while pregnant with me, and I started at 13...I wonder if the fact that I was exposed to nicotine while in the womb led to me having such a severe addiction? 

I've heard that opiate addicts say it's easier to kick that than cigs.....

9. I used a similar approach to kick severe addictions to opiates, amphetamines, anti-depressants and gambling. I tapered off each drug systematically and gradually over two years. Now I'm working on giving up tobacco using the same method. Most people prefer the cold turkey route, but tapering down worked for me. Cannabis enabled me to recover from my addictions and vastly improved my life!

10. Our stories are similar, mother long time smoker while pregnant with me. I started at 12 trying to impress a girl of all things. I ended up screwing her but fuck all if I didn't spend 24 years paying for it one pack a day, worst lay ever!

I see myself as having an addictive personality, I drink soda a lot (that's next to go) and rather enjoy my bud so it could be genetic. As for the dreams I am very lucky, so far only had one so far. That guilt always brings with it a shitty day.

11. natural unadulterated tobacco has been used naturally as medicine for years and years. it is the constant doing that we humans feel we need to be doing that makes the ""need them now"" cravings slammed into our faces. practice relaxation of your whole person to find the strength you need to get through the cravings and see that you have all you need every instant of every day and want/need nothing from all that you have all the time. most importantly find an appreciation of good fresh air and the cleanest water you can drink. tip- once you can appreciate a glass of fresh water and actually taste the subtle nuances in the water you will have kicked the clog your senses habit of cig smoke filled insides. that for me was the wake up call- noticing that water has flavor! and you only will notice it after not having smoked cigs for a while.

after your initial de-programming from grabbing a cig constantly grabbing a joint is another vise that you can over time get a hold of too and learn to respect more the process until you find the strength to handle what you need to handle with all you have inside of you with no aid externally.

it is easy for me to type all this fluffy good stuff but you bro have to be strong and stay the course, set the goal and track your way to get to it using any available aid to get you there knowing in the end you will be stronger ( stonier)  from the journey.

12. ya man i hear you loud and clear. the hardest thing i have ever done was to completely quit the habit {addiction} of tobacco. took me a number of times until i got to the point of hating smoking more then i enjoyed it. i think that was the final hold that tobacco had on me. i will never again in my life ever smoke another nasty ass fucking cigarette. i hate the way they smell, i hate being addicted to them, i hate the price of them. i cant think of a single good point i can attribute to tobacco. nothing more then a bunch of horrible people who knew from the early 1900's the addictive properties of tobacco and a majority of the health problems associated with tobacco. they simply fell victim to greed and then morally bankrupt themselves for money. those evil fuckers! :metal:

13. I used cannabis to help me quit smoking. I got one of those one hitters that look like a cigarette, and I made a point to go out to the bars to surround myself and check my will power (one of the ones I frequented was still smoking then-a rarity for CA!) and I would go out with my friends and take a toke or few. Wish I had known about CBD back then - it would have been SO MUCH BETTER! Cut the anxiety, and not have to worry about smoking myself silly since I wanted nicotine, but was pumped full of THC. 

Anywho's I recommend this approach (and the nicotineless ecigs) to all my toker friends who still smoke. 

Four years this last August. 

14. #14 Mid man, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2014
    nicotine withdraw don't have shit on heroin, but doesn't mean they aint hard to quit. Been a casual smoker I guess for about 2 months, and I told myself 'no more than 1-2 cigarettes per day' eventually I was smoking 3-4 a day and I decided I needed to take a little break before I actually got addicted. Turns out the next day or two I was a little anxious, but I can't imagine what smokers for 24 years a pack a day would feel like. 

Been 4 days since I stopped let's see how long I can go? My goal is at least 1-2 weeks 

15. If you have a goal to quit for a certain amount of time... why not just quit for good?  :confused_2:

16. Because I enjoy the taste of different types of tobaccos and it's relaxing. I don't feel like I have an addictive personality either, I stuck to my plan for 1-2 cigs a day the only reason I was smoking 3-4 was because I was hanging around more smokers. My nicotine tolerance was also up so I wasn't exactly getting that buzz except for the first cigs of the day so I decided to stop for a while. It's sort of pointless when you don't get the buzz anymore

17. #17 givehug, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2014
    The only reason people smoke cigs is because they are hooked, either physically or psychologically ( usually both )

They aren't relaxing ( at least for non smoker) and taste horrible ( again at least for non smoker )

I've been smoking for 5 years, now 7 years free.

Fought my psy addictions first, then body got used to not smoking in a week or two.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. Nicotine is a muggle drug