Up skirting is fine according to Texas laws.

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by ItsReneeYo_, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Last week, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals voted in an 8-1 ruling to strike down a law against "upskirting." While affirming that taking sexualized, nonconsensual pictures of women in public was "intolerable," the court ultimately found that a woman's right to privacy did not override a photographer's freedom of expression - even if that expression entails taking creepy pictures.

"The camera is essentially the photographer's pen and paintbrush. ... A person's purposeful creation of photographs and visual recordings is entitled to the same First Amendment protection as the photographs and visual recordings themselves," Judge Sharon Keller wrote in her opinion.-policymic.com

Like what.

As Judge Sharon Keller wrote in the court's decision released last week, “Protecting someone who appears in public from being the object of sexual thoughts seems to be the sort of ‘paternalistic interest in regulating the defendant's mind' that the First Amendment was designed to guard against.”

Boston lawmakers approved a bill that made upskirting illegal just 24 hours after a man was let off scot-free for taking upskirt photos with his phone in a subway. The next person to do it won't be so fortunate.
    http://petapixel.com/2014/09/22/texas-anti-upskirting-law-struck-court-thanks-vague-wording/

Why is it okay to do that, I don't even know what to say it's just to crazy for me to comprehend....

What do you think...

2. This will make women and scottish men rage in Texas 

3. This is tough. While I do think one loses a considerable amount of expectation of privacy when they go out in public, I think there is a line between freedom of expression and inappropriate lascivious behavior.  The challenge, IMO is drawing a clear cut line and defining the crime. I'd like to hear your thoughts on what constitutes an upskirt photograph, like what had to be in it to be considered an upskirt photo, etc. I don't have a clear cut opinion on this, other than I find it inappropriate and sleezy.

4. I think that's absolutely ridiculous, photos like that should not be legal to take especially without consent.

What is the world coming to...

5. #5 iAmBetty, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2014
    That line likening a photographers pictures to the pictures one paints is dumb.

I painter is creating something. The photographer, as far as snapping the picture, is just recording something. Zero right to take pictures up a woman's skirt. Total invasion of privacy. Inexcusable.

6. What I define as upskirting is taking a photo up ones skirt, I don't really care if any body parts are exposed. It's still an invasion of ones space and privacy.
    I hate that matters like these get taken care of in a day in other places, but here we have to consider the "first amendment" and the political and social aspects blah blah blah. It's wrong to do it, end of story.

If someone takes a picture up my fucking skirt and I catch them, I'm haymakering their throat. LUL.

7. Maybe you should wear an AR-15 across your back :D

8. #8 Lenny., Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
    The only reason I ask is because laws meticulously define each and every word. I fully agree that taking intimate photos such as that without someones consent is not OK to do. 

Let's suppose for the sake of argument that you are clearly and openly taking pictures on a public beach... pictures of nothing in particular. Suddenly a huge gust of wind comes out of no where and you happen to snap a picture of some woman's skirt up in the air. No malicious intent on your part, but that would be considered upskirting under your definition no?  Intent should be defined here. 

Plenty of bad things have come out of court decisions, but plenty more have come out from government just unilaterally saying "this is bad don't do it"

We are on the same page, more or less, I've just never heard a concrete definition on what constitutes as upskirting and wanted to get people's perspectives.

9. Well no I definitely don't considerate that up-skirting. That does need to be defined in the law that they probably will soon pass due to all the bad media they're getting because of it.

10. I'm not gonna kill someone for taking an inappropriate photo, lol.

Shaddup <_<

11. We can only hope. 

I have no respect for people who have a malicious intent and do this. 

Chop that fucker in the throat like you're Bruce Lee.

13. I believe invading someones privacy like that should be illegal and followed by a hefty fine($1000+).  That being said a lot of women like to dress, for lack of a better word 'slutty'.  Not at all blaming the women but when a girl is walking around in a skirt with her ass cheeks hanging out, its going to draw a lot of attention, maybe even some pictures.

14. People usually hate when people use this way of thinking or whatever, but those people doing it need to imagine this happening to their daughters or their wife. They would be outraged and rightfully so. It's an invasion of privacy and no matter how much clothing a woman is wearing, or lack thereof, people need to respect the privacy of that individual. I believe it should be more than a fine and up it to some jail time. Think before you snap. A look is whatever, but you had to think to turn on your camera and aim and shoot. You deserve the punishment at that point.

15. Taking photos of someone without their consent and to be used in a perverted manner is wrong. They should have kept up skirts illegal and if for any reason an artist or a fashion shoot or movie needed to do this while in Texas they could get artistic approval rights as long as the subject gives consent. Which would probably never happen anyways lol.

I personally think this law encourages bad behaviour more than it protects artistic rights. I'm not even fully clear on why they believe this has to do with art. Meanwhile the FBI is insanely looking for those celeb iCloud hackers and these law makers in Texas are basically saying "get off the computer and go snap some outside"

They should probably rethink their priorities. I'm sure other laws in Texas need to be addressed before this one was ever reversed.

They are living in the past.

Amber
    Stay peaceful, passionate, productive & positive

16. put your skirt on renee, im comin for you nigga!!!

17. Have you ever been to Texas?  It really isn't that shocking, honestly...Not the brightest bulb, that one. :cool:

18. I live there, lol.

<_< and trust me I know.

Oh, ouch...Sorry. :cool:

20. It should be illegal IMO but I don't think anybody should go to the slammer for it, that's over the top.