Evil

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Koh, Sep 28, 2014.

What if you have to kill or be killed? Or kill to save someone you love. Is it still evil?

2. You Know if it's evil by asking your inside Self. No other yardstick applies. :smoke:

3. I believe the world is a mirror that reflects a person's deeds and everyone lives in their own private heaven or hell based on their karma.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OK you are taking it out of context obviously

I clearly said earlier in this thread "do to others as you would have done to you"

Obviously "killing" itself isn't always evil

-yuri
    If that's true then why does my life suck?!

-yuri

5. Which is why I asked.

Maybe God has high expectations for you.

7. OK let me clarify then.

If you do something to someone, and wouldn't want someone to do that something to you, this is evil

Its not subjective

-yuri

Even if the life of you or someone else is in danger? Or am I taking it out of context again

9. #29 -Martyr, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    I don't believe in karma, divine intervention, or any of that bullshit. You reap what you sew, but only when a man of flesh and blood fixates on either revenge or sabotage- legality aside of course. What's moral or ethical for some, is the opposite for someone else. Perception's a bitch that way. The more enemies you make, the harder your life becomes. The more good you do, the more people and opportunity will flock to you. Cause and effect. To that end, everyone's got a line they draw in the sand when it comes to what they will and won't do. The tides of circumstance and convenience are going to wash them away and force them to draw new ones that better suit their situation, scenario, or needs. That's just how humans are.

Self-defense and murder aren't the same thing.

• Like Like x 3
  10. not.out of context

If you were in danger would you want help? The answer is obviously yes

-yuri

11. #31 *ColtClassic*, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014
    I don't think karma exists (or reincarnation).

As far as influencing the behavior of those with no conscious, like Lenny stated, societies' only real option is ostracizing those who act without morals.

"We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

Society needs to change the way it behaves when faced with injustices and disband and abolish secretive networks which allow for malicious individuals to coordinate their actions to the detriment of all others.

Yuri, what are your thoughts on assisted suicide? Not trying to pervert your concept of "killing is evil because no one wants to be killed", I'm just trying to dig a little deeper.

12. Shouldn't be too hard to understand.

I don't believe suicide is evil, and if its.voluntary neither is assisted suicide

Once again ill rephrase, killing.isn't wrong, murder is. I guess Tue definitions and circumstances are subjective, but morality iis not.

If a patient is comatose is it "evil" to kill him? Idk. No one knows. He is.comatose. some.people want to be.let go some don't, that doesn't make.it subjectiv, it just makes it unknown

-yuri

13. but you just used a bible quote to show your definition of evil xD

• Like Like x 1
  14. yes. And I'm an atheist

Any questions? :)

-yuri

15. In any case its hardly an accurate definition of evil imo; I dont want the repoman to take my shit but that dont make him evil

• Like Like x 1
  16. Got.me there

-yuri

17. I believe in a just God who will hold everyone accountable for all actions, good or bad. If you call it Karma, ok but it's different. Karma is , from what I heard , is something people believe they accumulate by performing various actions. And that if they think they have bad karma they could make up for by doing some good things to get good karma to overweight the bad.
    I don't think it works like that in actuality. Bad actions against others are done once they are done and you can repent and make it up to the victims of something you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. #38 The Stud, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014

How can evil be subjective when people are so different?  

19. No Jesus. No peace. Know Jesus. Know peace.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum:blaze:

Okay. Just curious. Being a voluntaryist, I completely agree with your stance on murder and assisted suicide.

As far as the comatose patient, I think it is important to let one declare these things before they enter into such a state.

That is a hard call. I would try to preserve their life for as long as possible if they have not yet had the ability to declare their wishes.