I dont get atheists..

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by JustaStoner, Sep 27, 2014.

1. First off: NOT TRYING TO OFFEND.. I know, the title probably sounded like I think that atheists are stupid but that's not what it meant at all..

I just don't understand how you can't believe in anything.. Again, I'm not looking down on you. If your atheist, feel free to explain..

Sent from my N810 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Atheists believe in lots of things actually. So your question is nonsensical. Surely you mean something more specific.

3. I don't understand people who believe in fairy tales.

4. Yes, sorry. I just find it hard to not believe that there is nothing out there. Like in a kind of either religion or spiritual way.

5. What is there to believe in?

6. It's not necessarily that we don't believe in anything. We believe in science, and we believe in human progress free from oppressive religious institutions whose teachings are based in fallacy.

A lot of us don't get theists either...

7. Idk alot of things. Reincarnation, good/bad spirits, how Einstein said that all energy must go somewhere after we die, Christianity, buddisim, please note that these are not all my beliefs or religions and I'm not trying to talk anyone out of there own I guess I understand many beliefs and I guess atheism is just one I can't wrap my head around.

8. Could you define "out there"?

I believe there's countless things outside of our own solar system. Trillions of stars, planets and galaxies. And life as well. 

9. I think I understand your guys point of view more now.. Thank you

10. #10 PhunkyPhoenix, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
    [​IMG]

11. I'll settle this great debate

http://vimeo.com/69970735

12. ..Yes they are.. I knew this was a bad idea..

13. Im an agnostic atheist(agnostic who leans towards there not being a god, but still allows for the possibioity if proof were found)

And I dont get anyone that puts faith before logic and science..... So its a two way street.

Im just more concerned with the physical and tangible world, than I am with the metaphysical, might be non-existent, and regardless I have no control or influence over it, so why be concerned with it?

14. Glad I could clear things up for you :)

I used to follow some debates/drama back before YouTube turned into GoogleTube about religion..

I found some atheist are rabid haters who are just as nutty as the full blown religious nuts.

Really  I dont care what people think just dont shove it down my throat.

No need to be so defensive.  I am just sharing my thoughts on the subject.  I will no fuck off.

Believing in fairy tales is equally as silly as believing in absolutely nothing when we have this wonderful mystery of life.

17. Atheists believe in the absence of existence, not nothing at all.  Nihilists believe nothing.

18. It's not that we don't believe in anything, it's that we typically don't believe in anything that is supernatural, metaphysical, mythical, immaterial, or anything that cannot be proven or disproven.

I believe the universe is the universe, that humans are human, that the Sun is the Sun, wind is wind.. and so forth.

19. #20 Captain_Jack, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
    It's actually not a fairy tale. Regardless of which religion you choose to or not to subscribe to, you deserve to have your beliefs respected, and having your beliefs called a "fairy tale" is pretty insulting. 

Anyway, like it's already been said, atheists believe do in something. They just don't believe in the existence of a supernatural deity. Instead, they prefer to look towards the natural sciences for answers, or some atheists simply don't concern themselves with it and prefer to just live their lives, which is perfectly okay, too. :)