Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can taking psychiatric medication affect your weed high

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by johncoo6, Sep 27, 2014.

1. I got into the mix of taking psychiatric drugs to deal with ocd which I realize is not working anymore. It still has some effect though but not beneficial enough to keep taking it I just feel like it numbs my thoughts and emotions makes me a zombie. Cannnibus heals the mind makes things better makes me feel alive but I feel like it's interfering with the medicine I take ,kind of makes me feel spacey like out of it uncomfortable I believe in natural treatments. Now I'm wondering could there be a possible interaction? If I come off the medicine (zyprexa) will it make the herb more effective?

2. I don't have a definitive answer for you, the thing with psychiatry is that it isn't a really observable science in the way of chemical reactions other than observing the physical and emotional reactions of the patient.
    I have taken two SSRI's for depression and one SDRI and I have never smoked while not on medication.
    For me the worst that happened is that I would have a really cloudy mind the day after, but this went away as I smoked more. 
    I know that alcohol with my meds turns me into a zombie.
    Personally I wouldn't jump on the herb as a treatment for major psychological illness, but then again I may just be too inexperienced to say.

3. Everything you do effects everything you do.

4. Ask your PCP (no that is not a drug reference, that stands for Primary Care Physician) 

5. I don't think we are allowed to talk about pharma on here. It's best to consult a physician or psychiatrist for a proper answer to this.

I will say this.  My wife has OCD and she takes prescribed meds for them.  She also smokes herb like a coal train.

6. #6 jmick, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
    I've had OCD all my life. I learned to channel it into being busy....kind of hard to explain, but imo, it's something you'll have to learn to cope with in life...I don't feel like using any sort of mind altering substance has ever helped me deal with it.....

good luck....

7. From personal experience, No it does not.

The act of taking it regularly being it is not something recreational(Which most psych drugs AREN'T)
    they usually don't affect cannabinoid affinity.

The only thing that changes is Serotonin, that is an anti-psychotic.
    That's what it does, dulls your emotions. Till you're on the edge of your wits, about to jump the bridge.

It will not affect cannabis, but it can affect a lot of other recreational drugs. Cannabis is unique.

I suggest telling your provider to fuck himself.
    Before you realize, you aren't even who you are supposed to be.
    Don't accept psychiatric medicine EVER.

8. I agree.  Many times OCD is treated with bi-polar meds cuz bi-polar disorder can trigger OCD like symptoms.  Another disorder is general anxiety disorder and many times the doc will prescribe anti-axnxiety meds such as Xanax or even better Lorazepam (Ativan) because of its long half life, but as many of you know these Benzos are very abusable and addictive.

The best way and the safest way is to find a routine that helps out your symptoms, a routine that doesn't involve the use of drugs.

9. I agree that psych meds come with a plethora of side effects but you know, they do work for some people.  Particularly anti-depressants.  Its just very difficult to properly diagnose someone who actually is depressed due to chemical imbalances (low serotonin levels or too much Mono Amine Oxidase).  

SOME ATD's work,
    but many of them run quick tolerance and are sedating.
    It depends on the person so they are all questionable.

11. #11 GobindU, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2014
    No you're right.  I actually took an atypical anti-depressant just for withdrawals (actually for Post Acute Withdrawals, as acute withdrawals were just too ugly for anything to help with sedation).  One was quite sedating.  It would knock me out in about an hour and I would sleep 12 hours and wake up very groggy. 

12. #12 LuxSpiritus, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2014

I'm sorry can you make these edits from my quote.
    WE're not supposed to discuss other drugs, but this is for helping someone.
    So for your sake just don't talk about specific instances.

and sedating just means tired, as in sleep.
    Euphoria is the word you were looking for, because that's what is the prime factor in rec drugs.

Atypical ATD's are the most physical damaging pharms.

Anyway enough of this.
    We shouldn't be talking about this. So end it here.
    OP got responses.

I suggest doing the same for other posts.
    It is against the rules.

13. sounds good