new to dabbing

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by pdasterly, Sep 27, 2014.

1. I have a persei vape pen which is the best on the market. The dabber blows the pen away. I read the ceramic cracks if you don't heat it evenly 

2. #22 crooklife802, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2014
    Holy fuck kronity is an idiot do not listen to him. You have a domeless nail, that is operated by heating it up with the torch, then dropping your dab on to the heated nail, then covering it with the cap carb. I honestly don't even use my carb the oil lost compared to the hit I get isn't that big of a loss and I don't like fucking around with hot objects in expensive glass. That being said, DO NOT DROP DABS DOWN THE LITTLE STEM THAT YOU USE TO PICK UP THE CARB. and to better answer your original post, dabs aren't supposed to stick around for like a second hit or something, if your dabs are burning up quick then you are doing it right, just make sure you inhale that shit and don't let it turn back to reclaim.

3. Yee that's a domeless nail, heat it up, dab oil onto it then while is still smoking but there's nothing on your dabber put the cap on to bake it

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. Carb caps aren't to prevent oil loss, it's so you can vaporize it at a lower temp.  The cap closes the nail off from outside air while you're inhaling, this effectively creates a vacuum.  A vacuum decreases the vapor point of a substance (the lack of atmospheric pressure allows the molecules to enter gaseous phase more easily), similar to why it takes less heat to boil water at a higher altitude.  Vaping at a lower temp is more comfortable for the throat and allows for more taste.

if you dab at the right temp, it shouldn't all vape off instantly, that's too hot and more wasteful as that vapor recondenses into reclaim.  It should pool on the nail a bit, the milk should be a little thin and then when you cap it, it should milk up more fully.  You do waste some oil with low temp dabs, but you'd waste some at higher temps with reclaim anyways.

5. Wow. So dabbin isn't as common as where I'm at,...

6. I'd rather claim my reclaim than burn off dabs but to each their own

7. #27 ClovisMcLovis, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2014
    I took a video of today's morning dab so you can see exactly how you want to go about using your setup properly. Just heat up the nail, apply the dab to the moat of the nail using your dabber tool, and cover the nail with your carb cap.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTptSFaih8Q&feature=youtu.be

The difficult part will be experimenting with heating the nail just right; If you overheat the nail it will cause the BHO to combust, rather than vaporize, and if you underheat it the BHO will melt into the moat of the nail, but won't vaporize, thereby wasting it. There's some info on the why and how of carb cap use here:  http://www.greatspiritglassmarket.com/carb-caps-use/

Hope this helps!