Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is weed becoming dangerously potent?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by tokeswithblokes, Sep 27, 2014.

1. LOL that made me laugh...not even high yet. 

2. Flower will never get as potent as today's extracts, and depending on how you make the extracts, the potency of the flower shouldn't even matter much, just the amount used in the ratio of bud:solvent.
    Also, 30-35% thc in flower? I doubt it. That means that out of an ounce of bud you can pull 9.3g of PURE THC, not eincluding any other cannabinoids, terpines, etc... The bud would literally have to be one third liquid/crystal, and I don't see anyone growing that.

3. Higher potency means you just need less.

4. how doesn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. #25 MagnusD, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
    If you are using it medically how does it magically become more potent? It's not like getting it legally suddenly gives me access to some sort of top secret ultra potent plant that will never make its way to the hands of someone who solely uses it for recreational use. 

Edit:
    If it does, please explain it to me like I'm five. 

6. Is weed becoming dangerously potent? "dangerous" is a pretty charged word, with broad definitions.  Super-potent cannabis may not be injurious to the physical health (of a healthy adult), though it could cause undesirable effects in new users and/or those susceptible to adverse psychological reactions to high doses of THC.

7. Everything and anything is too potent or dangerous if you stress impulse and freedom of spontaneity before moderation and experience- something most rookie tokers do unfortunately. People think they're just going to start out and go through fat joints or hang with people who smoke blunts daily, and then they find themselves tripping balls or having panic attacks and shit. Know what you're getting yourself into, before you commit to it.

8. Ganja's not dangerously potent, but plenty of people are dangerously stupid.

9. Understatement of the century lol

10. obviously by the way it's grown it's the highest quality they can make it it's has to reach a certain standard otherwise it wouldn't be medicinal In the first place, quality and best genetics certian strains are better for certian ailments some for cancer others for ms/Alzheimer's can't just give dying patients or severely ill patients street shit quality weed with pesticides an it wouldn't help sometimes it has to be the highest quality to work for some people-hence dabbing and concentrates altogether and what are you talking about? People get their hands on it everyday it's knowing people/growers or where it's legal/ get the best possible or grow it themselves it's not some super pro secret ultra shit lol people who use it recreationally get it aswell if their smart

11. #31 MagnusD, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2014
    As a Canadian who has had it on both ends I can honestly say that the quality here is better from the people who actually give a shit what they are growing & are putting into there weed(Most weed in my area originates from grows only a stones throw away or a 40 min drive) At least for my city . 

I'll never get it from the Government again till their standards and procedures change. When it comes down to it a knowledgeable grower who is able to produce the right environment for the plant to grow in will be able to get just as much potency out of there product. The Government went to the streets to initially get these strains so they aren't working with some long lost genetics or anything different from someone on these forums might be growing. 

Also if you think the Government is going to produce good quality weed, pesticide free think again. When it comes down to legal drugs they are more worried about the all mighty dollar. Unfortunately our medical mj is irradiated (Mmm gamma rays) to eliminate bacteria/mold. Now I know the safety of using low lvls of it is a still a debated subject but I for one will take the better option and get weed that is not. 

As big business leeches onto this you can bet your bottom dollar if you have a med card you are going to be eventually have access to some grade A+++ GMO kush irradiated, and sprayed with "safe" pesticides. 

I do have a question. What kind of growing methods are they using that produces & unlocks the hidden potential of this plant? Just curious why you don't think someone on the "Street" isn't capable of replicating the processes. 

12. when did I say someone on the street doesn't get this? I never mentioned the government growing it at all lol

13. Different countries. The Government distributes the legal stuff here through the mail(and quality varies a lot)  . My point is that slapping a title of "Medical" doesn't increase the potency. Just because a doctor prescribes something doesn't mean it's going to be good for you or grown with more care then Joe Smith down the street growing for his Aunt who has terminal cancer. If anything Joe has more incentive to make sure his shit is grown with good nutes and not use harmful pesticides. Any ways I'm done arguing with you. 

The only advantage of buying weed through those channels is the lab testing. Which also can be misleading due to variation in buds (Same weed gets sent to four labs with four different results). 

14. Nah weed has just become homogenized so that there is a lot less variety between each strain due to the commercial breeding. Growers have been selectively breeding strains for high yield, potency, and bag appeal for decades now. The strength was always there, people are just going to extreme lengths to consistently get it now.

15. slapping medical doesn't increase potexty, increasing potency is what makes it medical, what I'm saying is obviously going over your head lol when I say medic I mean lab tested and it's grown to be used for a specific ailment n so someone uses it for that an it's the highest quality/standard possible for that strain,hence lab testing an med grows, have you been around any med patients who need it/grow it? Been in any dispensaries? You obviously have a lot more research to do, when did I say just because a doc prescribes it it's automatically good for u? It is good for u an if he prescribes it to you it's probably/obviously for a medical issue so it would be good if it's helping you with your issue lol I don't know what your arguing about it the first place , if it's "medical" their was more care an incentive put into it in the first place otherwise it wouldn't be sold in a dispensary or grown by people who sell to patients/dispensaries an get it lab tested in the first place an it wouldn't be medical then, the quality is what makes it medical better quality healthier for you pretty simple , has to reach a certain quality /standard to be medical in the first place an if it's sold as "medical" chances are enough care was out into it so it actually is u gt a lot of research to do lol

16. Weed is not becoming dangerously potent.  It's not any stronger or weaker than before.  It's just that people in the states are finally seeing the good buds come around.  Before it was all mexican shwag mostly unless you knew someone who was serious about growing.  I bet the people stating that it's stronger today have no knowledge of horticulture. A more accurate statement is that the average person has access to better weed today than 20 years ago.  That is due to the fact that more and more people are learning horticulture as well as getting access to good genetics.

But it takes plants hundreds to thousands of years to evolve bro.  Banana's today have the same amount of potassium as they did 300 years ago.

Best weed I ever smoked look like moss and was super strong and that was 15 years ago.  That shit made me feel like I was in the black hole sun video from soundgarden. 

Try to imagine no cell phones or internet...  = weed dark ages. You dealer back in the day had ONE strain to sell.  And that was whatever they could find.  There was no going online and ordering from seed catalogs full of weed pics to show you what they look like fully grown, complete with sativa/indica percentages, whether they are better grown indoors or out, how many weeks of flower etc.....

17. #37 Private Stalk, Sep 28, 2014
    Old weed strains that were elusive to 90% of America but are not anymore:

G13
    Skunk #1
    Northern Lights
    Maui Wowie
    Columbian Gold
    Thai weed
    White Widow

There's much more, but just making a point that the good weed always existed.  It's just 90% of the stoners could never, or very rarely get their hands on it. 

18. #38 MagnusD, Sep 28, 2014
     I am a med patient, have been to dispensaries. The only one in my city got raided in Aug. Now I'm still waiting an answer to my question that you ignored.  "do have a question. What kind of growing methods are they using that produces & unlocks the hidden potential of this plant? Just curious why you don't think someone on the "Street" isn't capable of replicating the processes. "
    \nSo is it the lights, time, nutes, sterile environment, the genetics? It seems any one who cares enough about the quality regardless of reason could grow with the similar results given that intention isn't enough to alter potency. Lab testing is the only advantage. Good day. Really done this time. 

19. Tell that to the labratories that tested it. You don't believe it, because you never seen it. I have seen 35% (Once). I have smoked 30%. It's rare, but not unheard of.

20. "medical" marijuana is just a title that they put on good weed. It's a really brilliant marketing idea, but believe me when I say that a lot of the dispensaries are buying from the same people who supply the black market. Good weed is medical, there's good weed everywhere. Just because someone labels something medical doesn't make it good weed, which is why even as a MMJ patient you should be careful and inspect the buds carefully before purchasing, or ideally take it into your own hands or someone you trust to grow it for you.

I live in a MMJ state, but I don't grow legal MMJ. I do know for a fact though that my weed is just as medicinally therapeutic as anything you'd get at dispensaries around here, and often times better. (it's pretty new here, the quality they are selling to patients is really pathetic).