Are mermaids real?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by untilwesoar, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Oh.. Well can i hear your proof that they don't exist or is anything said in this thread circular logic. You believe mermaids dont exist so you choose to not reconize that there have been sitings, hand carved arrows in large fish, and the fact that 90%\tof the ocean hasn't been explored. They could live on the ocean floor. There could be all kinds of NEW evidence that we havent been able to explore because our technology hasnt reached that level yet

Sent from my VS920 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. #23 yurigadaisukida, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2014
    By definition you cannot prove aa negative.

I don't think you understand.

The reason its a logical fallacy is because you are looking for evidence that supports a hypothesis, instead of forming a hypothesis from the evidence.

I can use the same exact logic to "prove" that reptilian satanists are trying to rule the world with a secret society.
    Not true. I dont believe either way, im.just a skeptic.

None of those things you posted are evidence of mermaids existing.

90% of the ocean not being explored only proves we don't know shit.

Arrows in large fish could easily be humans if that is even real.

As for sitings, people have also seen Bigfoot and reptilians and aliens
    You are 100% correct. But believing mermaids exist and believing they CAN exist are two different things.

You want them to exist so you are biased in your selection and interpretation of facts.

They may well exist but there isn't substantial evidence to even suggest a likelyhood. And a lack of evidence is never proof of anything.

As said before you by definition cannot prove something does.t exist.

I can't prove vampires don't exist either

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Yeah, if you're the one making the claim.. you're the one who needs to provide the evidence. Just because someone doesn't believe in mermaids doesn't mean they believe they're not real. It's withholding making a judgment with the lack of evidence. The possibility is always there, but just because something is possible doesn't mean it is actual.

As for sitings, there are plenty of possible reasons. They may have seen a glimpse of something and their brain filled in the rest. They may have seen something like a dugong, which have been part of human culture for thousands of years.. and supposedly they're an animal that the female vagina closest resembles a human vagina. Maybe even providing some comfort to lonely sailors on the seas for long periods of time.. as gross as it sounds. What better way to draw attention from you banging a wild animal than to make up that they were part human?

And humans have hunted whales and other sea life for thousands of years. A wooden arrow doesn't prove anything.. especially when you ask yourself who has the most access to trees.

As for the 90% unexplored areas, that's like claiming there are martians on Mars because we've barely explored it. I'm jot going to assume there aren't any martians, but I won't believe there are until I see evidence for them.

4. From what I believe in, I think they're is so many unknown creatures/species living on earth. I believe mermaids do exist. I also believe someone witnessed a mermaid encounter and probably got caught and the government destroyed the evidence and decided to lock it up and told the witness to keep his/her mouth shut or death? Idk. This is what I believe in. I could be wrong...  

5. Yea cause those mermaids are so awesome! Da government wouldnnt want people to know cause, all hell would break loose.

Seriously? Why would anyone hide the existence of mermaids? Do they have some.super magic stuff that the government wants for themselves?

6. I'm imagining a mermaid-like creature...

But for us to not find it yet it must be in the deepest parts of the ocean.. where it's almost freezing, it probably slithers slowly around rocks like an eel to conserve energy...there is no light penetration at these depths so it has no use for eyes just gray patches where evolution has sewn them shut... it has nubs for fingers as evolution is not yet finished grinding it's hands back to fins. An underwater zombie attempting to survive another generation in this barren wasteland known as the deep ocean...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. That's what some people think happened with aliens

Government is not releasing information because they want to hold onto the technology and keep it away from the public.

Omeguh

• Like Like x 1
  8. Another issue with mermaids is that in order to exist unnoticed, they must live extremely deep.

That means its unlikely they come.to the surface. Their would be designed for high pressure. Their organs.could expload if they surfaced to fast. I've seen it happen to rock fish that ive caught.

9. I dont know man. Supposedly people would 'freak out.'

• Like Like x 1
  10. Anyone read about the aquatic ape theory?

Some.speculate we came.from semi aquatic apes and that's why we have no hair. Kind.of like whales and hippos. (Obviously all.of these animals have hair you know what I mean tho)

Maybe we killed.mermaids off just like with Neanderthal

• Like Like x 2
  11. What is this "we" shit?...I ain't never kilt no merperson...

• Like Like x 2
  12. My food babies might be mermaids.

13. I hope they have nice tits.

• Like Like x 2
  14. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoQW03UFqQw

a merman...MERMAN!

• Like Like x 2
  15. #36 bigdickdave, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  16. LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL someones not smokin enough pot..

Sent from my G526-L22 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Just out of interest here guys, what for you determines the limits of what you deem plausible or possible? What are the governing variables that determine what you believe to be true or possibly true? Lets say for example you believe that the universe is infinite, would that not constitute a belief in there being an infinite set of possibilities in the arrangement of physical matter. 

However if one does hold to it the belief that we inhabit an infinite universe, but does not believe there to be possible a variation in the composition of physical matter that would constitute a "mermaid" like being, what would be the reasoning of holding to such a belief? what would prevent the composition of the matter arranging itself in such a way? What would be the nature of the limitations that would make this composition of matter an impossibility In an infinite universe?   

18. I believe in an infinite universe.. infinite in pretty much every single aspect you can think of. Infinite in size and age.. and that means that yeah, there are an infinite amount of possibilities out there. That's all it is though, possibilities. Thing is, people put belief behind a possibility without knowing if said possibility is real.

So yeah, somewhere out there in our infinite universe.. there are probably mermaid like creatures. In the same way that it's a possibility that there is another solar system out there that went through a configuration that is 99.99% the same as ours.. or even 100%.. but if there is one, then there'd be an infinite amount. Any moment you had or have in life is infinitely happening. Meaning that this exact moment you're going through has happened an infinite amount of times and will continue happening an infinite amount of times. Any choice you've made in life is happening right this very moment an infinite amount of times along with all the other possible choices you didn't make..

Feels like a sweet belief.. but why put belief behind it? As much as its a possibility of happening, its a possibility of not happening. Plus, when people subscribe emotional belief to the idea, they usually only focus on thoughts that appeal to their emotions. Like feeling at ease knowing that somewhere out there is an infinite amount of yous who made and are making all the choices you always wanted to but can't.. but they actively ignore all the other possibilities.

If you hold true to the infinite configurations in an infinite universe, then right now there are an infinite amount of yous that are being butt raped by sentient oak trees. Or an infinite amount of yous out there who tortured and murdered your entire family.

It's like people think "its an infinite universe man, so everything and anything can and is happening.. as along as its not negative.." but just because it's a possibility that it is or isn't happening is no reason to believe it. Leave it at an entertainment value. Like right now, 47,925,640,172,473,105,847,362 light centuries away could be a moon that is the size of our galaxy.. and its the smallest moon within a galaxy who's size is scaled to said moon. Or a planet that size of our sun that matches the characteristics of Earth and humans our size cover the globe there like we do here, trillions of them.

But why should I believe in any of that outside the belief that the universe is infinite?

19. Mermaids are real. I seent one.
    You can trust me, I'm a time traveler.