Best router for console gaming?

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Omega369, Sep 26, 2014.

• Like Like x 1
  1. straight ethernet cable to console is your best bet. I had a 25 foot ethernet cable and i could run it from my living room to my basement. Now I just bought a seperate internet connection for gaming.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Wow I didn't know upgrading your router was a thing. I have to buy one.. mine is so shitty. Fuck you AT&T

3. Please dont pay $200 for a personal use / home router.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/WNR3500L.aspx

This is the router I use and I've never experienced any issues with it on consoles.  I think it was like 50 bucks at walmart.

I guess I just dont see what your "gaming" router is going to provide you with that an average router wont. Unless you plan on streaming or something I dont think it will make a difference.

• Like Like x 2
  4. #5 gsr, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
    It might be cheaper to buy a range extender at best buy.

If distance or object interference is the issue, a range extender can repeat the signal from your router so that your room has the best connection it can get.

If that doesnt fix the problem, best buy has a 30 day return policy so you can go back and use that refunded money to go with an n600 or n900 router.

You dont really need an ac router imo unless there are multiple people in your house using data hogging games or apps (like netflix).

5. The best thing to do is plug your internet directly into your console. Otherwise you could cause lag for those you are playing with.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I can only mimic what others have been saying. Worry more about being directly connected. Wireless, even on a great router is still going to have issues (packets not sending immediately, random lag spikes, etc...). If you're playing anything competitively, direct connection is the best.

So my recommendation would be finding a decent route around $50-75 and taking the rest of the money you have and dropping it into something else (an SSD for your PC or if you game on console, something you've been wanting in that department).

7. Ethernet cable like someone else said. Will be faster then any router you can find

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. #9 Viral Frog, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2014
    I have never had a problem with connectivity from my standard modem. With any ISP. Maybe the one you got is defective?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. Do you have Shaw or Telus? Or other.

10. #11 Omega369, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
    Thanks for the advice guys

I'm going to try to figure out a way to run my Ethernet cable through drywall

Shaw Internet

[​IMG]

11. Drill a hole in the wall use a bit long enough to go through two sheets then from the other side run a coat hanger through the hole and tie a sting to the hanger and the other end to the wire pull through and you are done.

Or when the drill bit is through the other side tie the string to it and pull it through then untie and tie it to the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. #13 IllestVillain, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
    Post what model router you currently have. Whats youre advertised speed? Some ballpark speed tests couldnt hurt. Also how far away are you from the router (feet/room/levels)

Edit: amount of wireless devices connected to network)
    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. If you are crafty you go to princess auto( or harbour freight) and get a cat-5 crimper with ends, look up how to make a crossover cable. Cut,crimp, done. You can also run the ethernet cable across(w/hardwood) or under(carpet) the baseboard.