How many actual watts of LED do I need?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Abe421, Sep 25, 2014.

1. #21 GrowTrees, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2014
    Even if you can build a small box or use a closet like me you could do a lot more. Check this out, not sure on the watts of the lights but its a pretty nice setup, those are from seed too  (not my setup)

[​IMG]

2. #22 GrowTrees, Sep 26, 2014
    If you cant build anything just keep those lights as close as you can and it should be good
    also I was gonna ask why do you think your seed is dead? and you should post some pictures if you can
    sorry for all the messages lol

3. Sorry for not replying, got caught up with some stuff. But damn, you got a sick setup going.

Yeah your right, I'll keep an eye out for some box's. In the mean time, I'll grow in the corner of my bathroom. It's all white, with a mirror right next to so it will get a lot of light. Plus it's in the basement, so no one ever uses it. I'll keep the light right on it too.

But, I also still live with my fams, and although my parents don't mind me growing, they don't want me putting so much work into it. But, eh, I still will do what's needed to be done.

And my seed, well it's my second day in germinating. I have it in a ziplock bag sealed with a wet paper towel. But I let it get "burps" to get fresh oxygen. It was cold for like the first day, until I pulled out a heater for my room, now it's next to it. I'll give it a day or 2 more though. But the seed looks like it's cracked from the side, and I can see the roots, but its been like that since like this morning. Hasn't made any moves at all since. I put up a pic. You can see the crack.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1411702195.406471.jpg

And I don't mind the messages, I have a tendency to do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. #24 GrowTrees, Sep 26, 2014
    Well that last picture wasn't mine, it was just an example but I feel you on your situation, it should be good the way you have it, I grow in my closet but I have the door open for air so light escapes mine too.
    As for the seed, I have the same luck honestly but try to keep it warm and it should sprout faster
    I'll show you one of my bagseed plants in a minute

5. Here she is, my first plant and its supposed to be jack herer. I got 8 seeds from a friend and I only got 2 to live. This was actually the very first seed I started and shes a strong healthy female. Definitely a sativa 20140925_203903.jpg

6. #26 GrowTrees, Sep 26, 2014
    Also how long has that seed been in the paper towel? it should take a couple days to crack open and you dont have to open it for air, some people germ seeds in cups of water. Ive done it before

7. #27 Abe421, Sep 26, 2014
    Damn, she's beautiful. Looks sick man.

And it's been about 2 1/3 days. I just put another seed into germination. I have 4 seeds in total. My buddy have them to me. He said he got them from some really good bud, but doesn't remember what it was.

And how did your other 6 plants die?

8. Most never even rooted, a couple sprouted a tiny bit and then died but they werent ideal seeds to start with

9. Also, I had 4 seeds before too, but only 1 grew. It stopped growing, because my lighting was bad. But I got better lights after a bit, and it started growing again, slow but steady. All was well, until a guest came over and made me throw it out.

But I tried the water cup method too, and it worked, but that plant died. I had the best luck with doing the ziploc bag straight up, which is why I'm doing it now.

10. #30 Abe421, Sep 26, 2014
    Oh, that sucks, going from 8 down to 2. But those 2 did have the luck of coming out female, and heathy!
    Unless you knew they were feminized to begin with

Did you use nutes at all?

11. Im really curious about the story behind you having to throw it out for some reason haha and the 2 seeds I actually got to sprout were germinated in a paper towel too

12. #32 GrowTrees, Sep 26, 2014
    Yeah I used nutes when I put her into flower but its my least impressive plant honestly. Bagseed has a tendency to be feminized anyways

Edit: I take that back about being the least impressive, it still has a long time to go lol

13. #33 Abe421, Sep 26, 2014
    Well, I don't mind sharing, so I'll tell.

My cousin came over one day. He rarely ever comes, and hadn't come for like 3 months before. So I didn't really have time to hide the plant, nor did I bother, because I thought he wouldn't see it. It was in the bathroom that no one ever goes in.
    But he went in to grab a paper towel, after I told him there were none, and he saw the small little plant in a 3 gallon pot, and realized what it was.
    He then lectured me, telling me it was bad. And I already knew what he was saying was 99% false, but I went along with it, didn't want him spreading the news around. So he made me pull the poor thing out of the pot and throw it away. I was pissed as hell, but couldn't say or do anything.

But, it did give me a chance to get a fresh start since that plant had a little bit of burning on the edges, and nutes in it and stuff. I get start from scratch with more knowledge.

14. #34 Abe421, Sep 26, 2014
    Really? I though that pretty much all bag seeds where hermis. Or that's what I've read.
    How far are you into flowering? And how much longer do you plan to flower for?

15. That sucks, I hate when people try to tell me weed is bad its so annoying. I thought your parents didnt care though? Did they not know yet or something?

Well this seed is like straight sativa so it has about a 10-11 week flower time, its been under 12/12 for 6 weeks now, probably only like 4-5 true weeks in cause it didnt show pistils for a while. It probably has like 6 weeks left

16. My parents don't mind, they'd rather have me not, but don't mind since I explained everything to them. So they don't want me putting so much time, money, and work into it. But, I do what I gotta do. They are just worried about the law part of it.
    He didn't say anything to my parents though. And he lectured me and made me get rid of it. And, he's about 19-20 years old too.

Oh, man, you got a while to go, but hopefully it will deff be worth it. How long did you veg for?

17. Sorry I didnt see the first part of that other message but I believe bagseed usually comes from a plant that pollinated itself so that would make it feminized, not too sure though, males definitely sprout from bagseed too

I vegged for about a month, she stretched a ton in flower so its like a 2.5ft stalk with buds lol

18. #38 Abe421, Sep 26, 2014
    Okay okay, that's how you know it's a true sativa too. When it's grows like a mother foot or so during flowering haha. I don't mind if my plant doesn't grow big though, it'll be my first time, so it's for experience and knowledge.

And you deff have helped a ton. You helped relieve a lot of stress. The only problem I was having were lights.

So, this is what my setup will be,
    I'll just have 3 23 watt CFL's over one plant. I know it will grow very slowly, but it's all I got for now. I'll also try to get it in a closed space for maximum lumens on the plant. But, if I change anything, I'll be sure to let you know. In gonna try and grab some better bulbs. But my main problem is money, and supply. Can't always find the right stuff for the right price

And by the way, how many grows have you done? Just out of curiosity.

19. Hey man ive seen a lot of people on a budget grow in cardboard boxes and if you have a windshield sunblocker thing( I'm sure theres a better name for them) those work as a good redlective material. If you dont wal mart sells flat white spray paint a dollar a can

20. Dude I wasnt thinking.. haha I have like 10 plants under 3, 23w cfls and they are doing great haha hold on check this out