Fan Leaves Yellowing 4-5 Weeks Into Bloom

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by OldRose, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Hi Growmeisters. I'm looking for advice. My Mango Kush plants are 4-5 weeks into flowering and the fan leaves are yellowing. At first I thought this was normal plant ripening, but I see that isn't an issue for everyone based on photos in the gallery. I got a late start and wasn't given these plants to harden off until July. They started flowering second week in August.

So, it looks like I haven't supplied enough nitrogen. The plants aren't dry.  I'm using organics and have been feeding a granular bloom organic fert about every 10 days. Should I have continued with something like fish emulsion after bloom started?

Looking forward to next year, when I'll grow in a prepared bed in the ground instead of in pots, I assume I need to push the plants more in the vegetative growth stage with higher nitrogen. What do you do for N once bloom starts? I read that I should use a bloom fert, but either the plants are ripening normally or didn't have sufficient N stores going into bloom.

TIA for any advice. Microscope arrives today. 

Attached Files:

2. Bump. Any advice?

3. Show us a close-up of the buds. 

I would not advise you to use added nutrients for this grow. Next year, you can use a greater soil volume, or a slightly higher amount of nitrogen in the soil. For this year I'd let the buds ripen and the leaves yellow. Your end product will be smooth and delicious. Adding nitrogen now (when you're almost at the end) will only ruin the harvest and it will need a much longer cure to be smooth smoking.

My premium advice to you  for next year would be:

- cover the soil with clover (plant red or white clover seeds when your plant is about 2 weeks old)

This clover will take nitrogen from the outside air and feed it to the roots of your plant. This is why clover (and alfalfa) is a 'nitrogen fixating' cover crop. 

It's like nature giving you free nitrogen at your plants needs (no more no less!!!) its entire grow cycle. Easy peasy.

All the best and keep growing!! (those plants look nice!)

4. Thanks for the advice. Nice idea about a nitrogen fixer! I'm prepping my plot in ground next year, so I'll overseed a winter green manure crop too. I'll probably use Birdsfoot trefoil because it does really well in these soils. 

This shot of the bud is now 4 days old. I looked at the trichomes yesterday with an LED loupe and saw only a 3 amber on the whole plant on a leaf margin (are they bracts?). Hope the microscope is clearer. It's hard to distinguish milky from clear with the reflection of the LED. I know we're getting very very close. The trichomes are mostly wonky vs. straight and orderly. 

Attached Files: