Cannabis Biotech: Creating A 30-Foot Marijuana Tree

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Earth Ling, Sep 24, 2014.

1. The modification of plants using selective breeding,phytohormones which change how cells react or perceive themselves and their environment, for instance allowing an older plant to bloom or grow new roots, and evengenomic editing are nothing new to the world of agriculture.

The use of selective breeding and phytohormones in the growth of cannabis is also very common: without it we would not be seeing the high levels of THC that we see almost universally today. The professional (laboratory) modification of cannabis using targeted genetic modification has only really become possible since its legalization, although at least one exception exists. Drug cartels routinely have the capacity to use phytohormones and selective breeding, but there is a huge jump from there to the technology needed to modify the genes for a specific protein (either in its form or rate of expression) and then reintroduce this into the population. A compromise can be found in using genetic analysis to most effectively cross-breed.

When cannabis was legalized for licensed growth in Washington State in 2013,certain pesticides were also approved for use on the plants, including Bt: bacillus thuringiensis. There already exist a number of lines of genetically modified crops that themselves express Bt, helping them protect themselves from pests by killing the bugs that dare to eat the plants. Along with pesticides, other forms of targeted modification of cannabis are also certainly underway. Pesticide resistance, or expression, is one of the more questionable uses of genetic modification, and although it will likely spread fastest: it is not the most exciting prospect.

Not a picture of the cannabis trees, but they probably look similar

The most exciting, and potentially less ethically questionable, prospect of genetically modified cannabis is BC Seed's development of a long-living cannabis tree. Yes, a cannabis tree which they call “Forever Buds,” and which is capable of growing to almost 10′ (10 feet or 3 meters) in 2 years. The mother plant is now more than 8 years old (still alive and actively producing buds), producing over 21 pounds per year (approximately 10 kg), and reaches up 30′ ( 30 feet or 9.1 meters) into the sky. Its seeds will be publicly available for purchase within the next 6 months (February, 2015), and threatens to uproot a business model based primarily on clones.

Thus genetic modification is not particularly new to cannabis, and indeed today's consumers are smoking and baking with plants containing more THC than at any point in history. Now that it is legal, the issues become more transparent but also more complicated. Although many will oppose the use of pesticides both on ecological and health grounds, how will the public feel about a cannabis tree?

Are people so polarized that they will oppose genetic modification in every form, even withoutany proof of danger? What kind of regulation is needed, and how will the safety evaluation process look? As this new field emerges into the daylight, these are questions that need to be answered.

Read more: http://www.exposingtruth.com/biotech-cannabis-tree/#ixzz3EFuk8sqf 
    Follow us:mad:Exposing4Truth on Twitter |ExposingTheTruth on Facebook

2. I wonder if marijuana can be grafted.onto a scion

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I'm still skeptical.
    BC seeds seems sketchy

4. #4 yurigadaisukida, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
    I for.one am waiting for weed to become.legal so we can get giant gmo versions with extra thc

Ill bet Monsanto.already has the research done in secret and is ready to.corner the market

They'll probably end up creating plants that smoke people..

6. That would be one thick ass stem.

7. There isn't enough money to be made though

Probly a better buisness choice to get everyone high then sell them.giant gmo foods

Just wait til we start creating different colored fruits.. like a purple cantaloupe or blue apples. Stoners will go ape shit over them.. that is until their skin turns blue.

9. it's natural selection

Food is one of the primary factors in evolution

If our gmos kill.off half the population, we will just evolve to be able to eat gmos

10. If thats possible, I'd like to know their key to unlocking and messing with its genetics.

11. #11 yurigadaisukida, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
    Its complicated Actually. That's why its a big corperayte tthing.

Making gmo plants isn't something you can do in your garage

The best you could do at home is GE bacteria

12. Men fear what they do not understand. So once you show stoners huge intoxicating buds, little to no need for additional nutrients, no need for pesticieds, minimal water requirements, colors of choice, size of choice, the GMO fear mongering will be like the wacko environmentalists are today. a comic sideshow to reasonable men.

13. I've a feeling you don't just evolve to be able to tolerate gmo's. Plus, genetics is a rather complicated subject and some gmo products may be fine while other proves to lead to genetic deformities in any number of generations. I see it as a bit of a wildcard, and my preference would be unmodified genetics (unless you count selective breeding, stops you folks splitting hairs :smoke: )  and grown, not necessarily 100% "organically", but in a sustainable manor incorporating the use of aqua-ponics. seems like a safer bet than attempting to evolve to tolerate gmo's  ;)

14. Imagine if mosanto created a cannabis that didn't flower.... and wiped out the psychoactive camnabis.

15. GMOs are more likely to to cure, bypass, or minimize genetic weaknesses than nature's habit of passing bad genes on. If a comoany is smart they would start labeling their food "GMO Free" much like the organic (lol at this being GMO free) and gluten foods are doing. It sucks people into paying more.

16. #16 ProGMO, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    The good thing is monsanto could do it, so what? When has Monsanto done something that has harmed nature, ever? Many asusme genetic mutations are bad when in fact most turn out for the good. Why focus on the negative? Monsanto is most likely to make your favorite flavor and color with a THC level you desire. that is where the real profit is.

17. There are sativas that grow taller than that already

18. It'll be funny too, cause foods that say 'GMO free' will probably have GMO in it. Whenever something saying 'something free' you can bet that they have that something in it, just in low enough quantities that the FDA allows them to apply the "free" label. Like when it says 'gluten free', that's the label they use when it has a small amount of gluten in it. The only time you can somewhat trust a label is when it says "this product is 100% free of yadda yadda". That's why I always laughed when people bought gluten free foods and thought they were free of gluten, cause it pretty much guarantees that there is a small amount of gluten in that food.. and they add up quickly.

19. It has been grafted to hopps

Jet Life to the Next Life

20. I do believe there are well publicized growers who've achieved bigger plants in the same time
    Averaging a foot a month