First Grow 4X4 Diy Attic Tent

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by McJaxon, Sep 24, 2014.

1. What is a sip...never heard of it. Is there a link?
    By the way plants look GREAT!

2. I believe SIP is short for self-irrigating planter. I ran across noobwannab's thread http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1151159-Noobwannb%27s-Self-Wicking-Smartpot-ghetto-setup he has a nice setup, and his thread explains it pretty well. Basically the smart pot wicks the water up through a porous medium like pearlite or hydroton which is resting in a reservoir, and the plant will take in as much water as it needs. I still top feed with nutes though, from what I've come to gather by putting nutes meant for soil in a reservoir might promote unwanted bacteria? Not sure, but it seems to be working well so far.

Dropped the legs on the screen 1.5" and gave white dragon a little pedestal since she has a little less soil and also the shortest. Now just waiting for it to fill up.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1415675857.908599.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1415675872.593253.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. #23 shane botwin2, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2014
    I like the addition MJ. Im interested to see how it works out because i was thinking about doing something like that for myself maybe the next go.

bgsn, the noobwannab thread is an awesomee read and full of info on sips and different people trying different methods. That's also where i started learning about SIPs and man am i glad. They are really convenient (especially when using organic soil :ey: ). When i started out and had my plants in hard pots i just set them on top of my reservoir and shimmied them in about a half inch down into the perlite and kept the water level about a half inch from the bottom of the pots. I cam honestly say im so happy i came across some posts talking about SIPs and looked further into the whole thing. 

4. Hi MJ 
    Looking good 
    Sips are definatly the way to go If you want to not worry about watering. I went away for  8 days  and came back to pale and dry girls but alive and well . A Neem/ kelp tea  fixed them up ASAP. 
    I grew the Purple bud on my first grow she made some awesome buds  that were kinda airy, Good flavor but the High is short lived , I crossed a male  with my pineapple chunk ...

5. Appreciate the link guys. Mj like the screen, it's gonna take awhile to fill that baby though...I'm just guessing, never scrogged b4!

6. Thanks for stopping by lamaries, I'm curious to see how the purple turns out. I'm going through your journal to see if there's anything I can learn! How did the cross turn out, and do you top feed your tea?

My grow journal:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1334153-First-Grow-4X4-Diy-Attic-Tent

7. Yea, now it's the waiting game... but it will be worth it in the end. I'm thinking another two weeks at least until I flip to 12/12.

My grow journal:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1334153-First-Grow-4X4-Diy-Attic-Tent

8. I havn't planted the seeds yet I still have new seeds to try, Im growing Beyond the brain  right now ... I only have room for 4 plants . Yes I top feed the tea , Im afraid of what may grow in the pearlite if I feed thru the sip . The purple bud was a very easy plant to grow even though I tried to Fff it up, it was my first grow.... 
    Looks like you spent a bit of time on your scrogg screen good luck 

9. #30 McJaxon, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
    Good to know on the top feeding, I had the same suspicions. I'm curious to see how your purple bud cross turns out, also just ready for mine to finish up. I can tell its a hardy strain after mine sat in its seed casing for almost 2 weeks but has recovered slowly but surely.

I had a bit of a scare yesterday as the coils on my ac froze over being cool outside but still running to keep attic temp down. Girlfriend had no idea but I heard it as soon as I walked outside and heard the compressor runnin it's hard out and fans vibrating due to no open air path causing a lot
    of static pressure. Everything seems fine now and temperatures are back down in the low to mid 70's. Will post some photos later

My grow journal: http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1334153-First-Grow-4X4-Diy-Attic-Tent

10. I thought about trying that but figured I would be cooling the whole house to keep it cool ... One of the reasons I choose Mandela seeds they claim the can stand the heat I grew hashberry during the middle of the summer temp up to 104f in my room  and she grew like a weed , the only problem was I got some mold in my biggest bud, it was a monster but it appears people have this problem no matter what the temp is.

Purple bud very fluffy buds 
    2014-03-04 09.34.32.jpg

Hashberry 
    IMG_1352.JPG

11. Lookin good Mj! R u training the two in the back. They look like their just growing regular. I would trim that undergrowth, but I'm sure u know that. Keep up good work!

12. Thanks bgsixx, the back left (white dragon) is 2 weeks behind bottom left and 1 week behind bottom right, back right has just been stunted from the get go. They are just now up to the screen, probably another week to let them fill up their portion of the screen before I flip to 12/12. I'm gonna trim away some fan leaves this evening I think.

My grow journal:

13. A little late to the party here but I like what you got going on. Everything looks great, keep up the good work!

14. Thanks for stopping by Cheesed, no worries you're just in time for things to get interesting. Crystal queen and sleestack skunk are taking up more than their fair share of space and are starting to take over more space. Just hoping the sleestack is a girl since it's really starting to take off, but the only regular seed in the bunch. Pretty sure I've spotted female pre-flowers on crystal queen and purple bud, I will try and get a good picture of them up later.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416357826.193558.jpg

My grow journal: http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1334153-First-Grow-4X4-Diy-Attic-Tent

15. Nice...yeah that screen got full quick! Looking nice and healthy, keep it up.