New Dabber, New Ti Nail.

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by dabbyd253, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Hey everybody, noob dabber here. Take it easy on me lol. Just picked up my first rig yesterday after at least a good week or two on studying up on the subject. Now the part that prompted me to make this account... The nail. I am fairly certain it is cheap China Ti. Considering it was $18 and has no markings. The guy said it was gr2, but I'm not too sold on that. The seasoning process I saw said to heat it red hot then dip in water, and to repeat a few times, then to heat it up and put a couple dabs on it. When I put the first dab to it I got a funky metallic smell, real funky imo. So I decided not to use it for now and am using my buddies that has plenty of use and is marked gr2 USA. Here are some pics... do you guys think I should just toss it? Or continue trying to season it? I was thinking of trying the oven method if I give it another shot. But don't want to waste oil if I should just buy a nail from a reputable source such as HE or something. Thanks, look forward to getting to know everybody, seems like a cool place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. What do you value more: your money or your health? You might be just fine using that nail but if you have the money you might as well get a legitimate nail.

3. If your friends nail says it gr2 USA TI. Then it most certainly is not.

I don't understand why people will spend 18 on a fake nail because they wanted TI but in reality you are buying fake TI.

For $18 stick to a quartz nail. At least then you won't be killing yourself.

Get a trusted brand when it comes to TI... Only way to really be sure

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. #4 dabbyd253, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
    Yeah, I saw that thread after posting this. Although, my buddies let's off no odor and dabs taste nice and clean. Perhaps just due to it being fully seasoned?
    At 18 I know it isn't grade 2. But it isn't necessarily fake titanium. I mainly got it as a temporary one until I order an HE or similar quality. But that odor I got when attempting to season it made me not even want to try it. Not sure if it is normal or not on a new nail but I sure didn't want anything with that odor going into my body. Anybody have any input based on the discoloration? And any seasoning tips once I get a quality piece?

5. A lot of metal will change color after being heated repeatedly, not just TI. So coloration doesn't indicate much

6. #7 dabbyd253, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
    Anybody care to touch on the rest of the OP? Thank you guys for your input so far.

7. Put a neodymium magnet to it, if it pulls even the slightest then there's iron in it. Even if it doesn't pull, there could be non-ferrous metals in it too but if it does pull, refrain from using it

8. Yeah I did that first thing this morning when I got to work. No pull. I plan on going to a local shop after work. Hopefully they stock name brands so I don't have to wait.

9. Welp, that nail is headed for the trash. Got a new one yesterday seasoned it up and everything is good to go now. No funky odors during any heating either. Its a shame people are able to see harmful shit like that. Thanks guys.

10. Let's see it

Also if it's not to late. Don't season with water. That's plain stupid and will oxidize your nail

11. I will try to get a pic this week. Got a birthday dinner/party after work today.

Yeah I didn't do that method. I seasoned it with oil.

12. Sorry for the delay. We have been swamped at work.
    Here's the v3. Need to get an 18> 14 male to male now for better fitment, lol.
    [​IMG]

13. On another note, that original nail is indeed titanium. Pure white sparks.. Most likely some grade of ChiTanium, but real nontheless. Better than I can say for my buddies "usa mfg gr2" which let off nothing but orange sparks... gotta love how they can get away with that shit.

14. Your nail sparks?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. Yeah what?

16. the easiest way for most people to test metals is to do whats call spark test them you take a grinder and grind the material and look at the spark Ti sparks pure white steel and stainless orange to red

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Lol must have been too dabbed out!! Yes, the sparks were from the "grinder test" hahah, oops!