Weed And Christianity

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Thefinisher, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Why do people take the bible at face value? You're talking about a book that has been translated through several languages and tainted by different cultural beliefs. It wouldn't be that crazy if a lot of it was changed to fit the ideology of one group or several groups with their personal beliefs.

No if you smoke weed you wont go to hell. I highly doubt we have spirituality down and understand it's entirety. I believe we are just on the tip of the iceberg, clouded by our own stubborn beliefs of how we think it should be.

Spirituality comes from within.

2. Leviticus 04:20 : And the LORD said : I'm ambivalent.

3. Hey! If God exists that would mean he created weed so I think he would be fine with it.

4. Who decides what a sin is?

Sins, as defined by the church, include swearing and sex without marriage. Those aren't sins as far as I'm concerned.

5. #65 william7, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2015
    The way I see it God gave cannabis to man in the beginning as stated in Genesis 1:29,30 for food. I, however, believe He gave them the high CBD, low THC strains that didn't get them high, but were exceptionally good for their health and longevity. Man later bred the high THC strains to get high and the low THC, high CBD strains were lost to them possibly as punishment from God for rejecting Him and following idols instead.

From reading the Bible, it's fairly clear to me that God desires worship from men who are sober and have a clear mind. I know a lot of unbelievers try to paint a picture of the patriarchs, the ancient Israelites, the prophets, and the early believers as being stoned on cannabis and other hallucinogenic substances. This just isn't the case. This would have been clearly stated in the Scriptures had it been this way.

I do, however, believe it's okay to use the high THC strains as medicine even though these strains produce intoxication. In fact, I believe it's required for serious believers to help the sick with this type of medicine and to oppose prohibition which was designed by wicked rulers to oppress and exploit the masses for profit. Below are the Scriptures I feel support this.

Psalm 82: 2-4

“How long will you<sup></sup> defend the unjust
    <span class="text Ps-82-2">and show partiality to the wicked?</span>
    <sup> </sup>Defend the weak and the fatherless;
    <span class="text Ps-82-3">uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed.</span>
    <sup> </sup>Rescue the weak and the needy;
    <span class="text Ps-82-4">deliver them from the hand of the wicked.</span>

Proverbs 31:4-9
    <sup> </sup>It is not for kings, Lemuel-
    <span class="text Prov-31-4">it is not for kings to drink wine,</span>
    <span class="text Prov-31-4">not for rulers to crave beer,</span>
    <sup> </sup>lest they drink and forget what has been decreed,
    <span class="text Prov-31-5">and deprive all the oppressed of their rights.</span>
    <sup> </sup>Let beer be for those who are perishing,
    <span class="text Prov-31-6">wine for those who are in anguish!</span>
    <sup> </sup>Let them drink and forget their poverty
    <span class="text Prov-31-7">and remember their misery no more.</span>

Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
    <span class="text Prov-31-8"></span>
    <span class="text Prov-31-8">for the rights of all who are destitute.</span>
    <sup> </sup>Speak up and judge fairly;
    defend the rights of the poor and needy.

Matthew 9:13

<span class="woj">But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.'</span>
    <span class="woj">For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”</span>

Matthew 23:23
    <span class="woj">“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices-mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law-justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.</span>

Luke 10:25-37

<sup></sup>On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
    <span class="woj"><sup> </sup>“What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”</span>
    <sup> </sup>He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'<sup></sup>; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.'<sup></sup>”
    <span class="woj"><sup> </sup>“You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”</span>
    <sup> </sup>But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
    <sup> </sup>In reply Jesus said: <span class="woj">“A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead.</span> <span class="woj"><sup> </sup>A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side.</span> <span class="woj"><sup> </sup>So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.</span> <span class="woj"><sup> </sup>But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him.</span><span class="woj"><sup> </sup>He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him.</span> <span class="woj"><sup> </sup>The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,' he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.'</span>
    <span class="woj"><sup> </sup>“Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”</span>
    <sup></sup>The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”
    Jesus told him, <span class="woj">“Go and do likewise.”</span>

<span class="text Ps-82-4"></span>

6. Maybe sober referred to

make or become more serious, sensible, and solemn.

7. Opium has been used for a long time without even realizing it was a bad thing. That's only a part of the current paradigm.

8. Until recently abusing an opiate probably inhibited ones ability to be self sufficient and survive.

9. I'm slow.

I just realized there are two identical threads

-yuri

10. No one has a ! And the other has a ?

11. I honestly and truly believe that marijuana is a gift from God. I refuse to believe that inhaling a plant in its natural form is anything but natural.

12. Our bodys don't do well with smoke, its bad for our body...so inhaling the smoke from burning plant matter is anything but natural...

I love smokin weed, but let's not pretend that's natural, it doesn't burn on its own and can't get you high without being processed with heat...

Natural is breathing air, or just smelling the plant

13. Of course smoking isn't exactly good for you. Too much of anything is bad for you. If you eat too many carrots your skin turns orange, drinking too much water can kill you... Yes this is extreme but you get my point - everything has side effects. As far as weed, the side effects are low. When used medically instead of recreationally smoking effects decrease more.

14. That still doesn't make smoking weed natural...its not...

If you could just eat the weed plant and get high then yeah that's natural...but you can't it has to be processed with heat, either cooking, burning or vaping...none of which is natural...

15. When did man first start inhaling smoke? When he harnesses fire - a natural occurrence. We found better ways to inhale that which made us happy. Seems like natural evolution to me.

16. Man making fire isn't natural...do you even know what the word means...it means not created or caused by humankind...

You cannot take a weed plant and get high from it without processing it with heat...you have to do something to it as a person to get high from it...that's not natural

And also a fire itself is natural (if man didn't start it) what about inhaling the smoke from the fire natural? Smoke is bad for our bodies and our atmosphere

Your jumping through hoops to try to make smoking something natural, its not ever...

I love weed too but we can't just make things up to make the plant sound/look better...

17. Perhaps our definitions are different. Doesn't matter much, we're both entitled to our opinions and I won't try to make you feel stupid for yours. Perfect love n perfect peace.

18. Oxford, websters, google and wiki all have the same definition listed, there is no opinion to this, its what the word natural means...

Exsisting in or caused by nature, not made or caused by humankind...

19. That's true, I think it becomes a problem when it becomes an idol that you (basically) worship. When it interferes with your relationship with God is when it's bad.

20. Not a sin. If you smoke and you feel the prescence of God's light in the beauty of the world around you, how can you look at that and call it sin?