Weed And Christianity

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Thefinisher, Sep 23, 2014.

1. #21 -13 Amp-, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014
    you already know romans (and want to cut it out of the convo) but also

Titus 3:1
    Remind the believers to submit to the government and its officers. They should be obedient, always ready to do what is good.

and Peter pushes the same idea that governors are sent by god to punish evil.
    "To governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good"

and something is only "unconstitutional" if the Supreme Court declares it....the constitution is really only a blueprint of how the federal government works, delegates who has what power (how many people in congress, what is congress, what is the president, what does he do, what is the supreme court, what does the supreme court do)

And the supremacy clause and federal preemption states that the federal government trumps all other levels, its written in the constitution

The bill of rights was added just to give the people some protections since the constitution only covered a blueprint, the bill of rights is what got it passed and since that it has always been changing because it can be amended...

2. You are being so silly in your argument. Like one person wrote above, show some scripture if you are claiming you are quoting it and you need to make sure you are arguing the context of the scripture. Let me ask you this, if the "law of the land" said it is illegal to worship God and if you do worship God you are to be killed then do you just turn yourself in to that government to be executed?

3. Romans and titus has already been quoted in my posts...

And you are arguing against the bible, its not me that says follow the law of the land, the bible says follow the law of the land...so if you don't like it that's with you and the bible not me

Sent from my LGL75C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Like I said, context is the "key" when understanding scripture. I will go back and look at the scriptures you are referring to since apparently I missed them.

5. It is interesting that you picked Titus. What do you know about Paul? Here is the entire letter..so now we can begin to understand context. It is also important to understand that the bible explains itself, we need to look at all context when understanding even the context of one short letter like this. When you understand Paul's brutal history and magnificent salvation it is easier to understand the spirit in which he wrote this letter as well as all of his letters. He is saying don't fight the authorities...this going back to Jesus when He was betrayed by Judas..the disciples attacked the Romans there to arrest Jesus and Jesus rebuked His disciples and even healed a Roman troops ear that had been cut off by His disciple. Let me ask you this, did Jesus follow the law of the Jewish pharisees..or..religious leaders?

1 Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ to further the faith of God's elect and their knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness- 2 in the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time, 3 and which now at his appointed season he has brought to light through the preaching entrusted to me by the command of God our Savior,
    4 To Titus, my true son in our common faith:
    Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.
    Appointing Elders Who Love What Is Good

5 The reason I left you in Crete was that you might put in order what was left unfinished and appoint[a] elders in every town, as I directed you. 6 An elder must be blameless, faithful to his wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient. 7 Since an overseer manages God's household, he must be blameless-not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain. 8 Rather, he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined. 9 He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.
    Rebuking Those Who Fail to Do Good

10 For there are many rebellious people, full of meaningless talk and deception, especially those of the circumcision group. 11 They must be silenced, because they are disrupting whole households by teaching things they ought not to teach-and that for the sake of dishonest gain. 12 One of Crete's own prophets has said it: “Cretans are always liars, evil brutes, lazy gluttons.”[c] 13 This saying is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, so that they will be sound in the faith 14 and will pay no attention to Jewish myths or to the merely human commands of those who reject the truth. 15 To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted. 16 They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good.

2 You, however, must teach what is appropriate to sound doctrine. 2 Teach the older men to be temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, in love and in endurance.
    3 Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 4 Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.
    6 Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. 7 In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness 8 and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.
    9 Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them, 10 and not to steal from them, but to show that they can be fully trusted, so that in every way they will make the teaching about God our Savior attractive.
    11 For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. 12 It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, 13 while we wait for the blessed hope-the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.
    15 These, then, are the things you should teach. Encourage and rebuke with all authority. Do not let anyone despise you.

3 Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, 2 to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and always to be gentle toward everyone.
    3 At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. 4 But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. 8 This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.
    9 But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. 10 Warn a divisive person once, and then warn them a second time. After that, have nothing to do with them. 11 You may be sure that such people are warped and sinful; they are self-condemned.

12 As soon as I send Artemas or Tychicus to you, do your best to come to me at Nicopolis, because I have decided to winter there. 13 Do everything you can to help Zenas the lawyer and Apollos on their way and see that they have everything they need. 14 Our people must learn to devote themselves to doing what is good, in order to provide for urgent needs and not live unproductive lives.
    15 Everyone with me sends you greetings. Greet those who love us in the faith.
    Grace be with you all.

6. It is not a sin to smoke weed. There is nothing in the Bible saying it is.

7. Personally, I believe God made weed for a reason. I don't know what Gods reasoning was behind making weed, but I do believe God made the weed plant for is to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. Amp, if you understand the Constitution you will find that the people have no obligitory laws. The people are sovereign to the government, laws are advisory. If i get pulled over for speeding i would challenge the jurisdiction of the police and once they fail to prove jurisdiction (because the dont have any over me) they lose. I can choose to follow the speed limit in school zones because its a good law but nothing compels me but my own volition. With that in mind i choose to ignore the governments prohibition because they have no jurisdiction over me.

9. Who gives a Fuck? If it was Why would it matter? Do you think God would really decide to let someone burn in hell for eternity because of smoking some plant that makes them feel good? If so, that's not much of a God at all.

10. The "sin" is making weed illegal to start with.

11. Sorry but no...you don't seem to understand the constitution...

and the "soveren citizen" thing is bullshit and has never worked in a court of law...

12. #32 SupaAPE, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2014
    IF YOU BELIEVE IN GOD AND YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN , YOU BELIEVE HE IS THE SUPERIOR BEING .

THEREFORE HE CREATED PLANET EARTH WITHOUT THY FLAW .

THEREFORE WEED IS OKAY , AND IF YOU ARE SMOKING WEED YOU ARE SUPPORTING ONE OF GODS MAGNIFICENT CREATIONS .

I SHOULD BECOME THE NEXT POPE

IF YOU NEED MORE RELIGIOUS ADVICE , JUST MESSAGE ME (not) .

13. Thats because a sovereign citizen is a contradiction. You are responding to a term i never used.

14. 1 Peter 5:8
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.

wouldn't say it's sin but it's more frowned upon.

wasn't there a law that required farms to grow marijuana long ass time ago?  i don't remember exactly, but if i were smoking weed as a christian back then, it wouldn't be sin?  people drinking during prohibition were sinners but now it's ok?  to say that smoking weed is a sin sounds a little extreme.  is it morally wrong to smoke a plant?  and who's the one who created that plant anyway?  sin is something that separates people from god and from what i've experienced with weed, i would think it would bring me closer if anything.

15. Disclaimer, I'm not a religious person, but I used to be and have read a bit more on the subject after I stopped believing than I ever did before. One thing that strikes me is that no matter what people want the bible to say, it'll pretty certainly say it, generally taking both sides of the issue. For example the old "teach the gospel" excuse some use as an excuse to harass us at home. Personally I always believed (when I believed) in what Jesus said in Matthew 6:6. "5"When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6"But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you."

Kinda the opposite of preaching it from our doorsteps, political platforms, and other intrusions of the sort, isn't it? Almost like it's a private matter or something. If it had been I'd probably still be a believer myself, it was the intrusions and aggression which made me start to look and doubt. After we start to look though, especially if you parallel read the same story across multiple books, doubt starts to creep in and old beliefs start to fall apart. Shouldn't have made it such a public, hard to ignore issue.

16. Do some research 7 pounds of MJ in the holy anointing oil its in the bible

17. Damn, posted this topic and never came back to it. Crazy to see what some people had to say and some very DEEP insights into what they think. I personally believe that if god created earth, then he created it everything on it for a reason. I think weed can be very beneficial to anyone who meditates, prays, works out, etc.  Sometimes i cant help people "get in the zone" if you will.

Hope more people see the thread and talk lots and lots more about it. I think there is probably a lot of things unsaid. 

18. Who knows. The bible contradicts itself so many times I'm sure it will on this topic too. If its a plant then god made it and if God made it it must be good.

19. what about tobacco and cocaine? Opium?

Just because God created it "for a reason" doesn't mean that reason is to be ingested.

There are lots of poisonous plants

-yuri

20. True, but i think in the case of weed it is. If it doesn't hurt you then i don't see the harm. Tobacco, cocaine, and opium are terrible for you so you probably shouldn't use it. This has a lot more to do with common sense rather than god.