The Goat Thread (Your Top Ten)

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by tallglassesofmilk, Sep 23, 2014.

1. I'm not particularly thrilled having to use 'hip-hop' as the topic... But it'll do. This is about rap tho. Please list your top 10 rap artists/rappers. They don't need to be in order.

No, vanilla ice doesn't count.

2. Mine...

Eminem
    Andre 3k
    Eazy E
    Scarface
    Biggie
    Pac
    Guru
    Method Man
    Andre Nickatina
    Nas

3. In no particular order: (and sorry if i cant keep it at ten, damn)
    Immortal technique
    2pac
    Eminem
    Big L
    Big Pun
    Nas
    Slug (from atmosphere)
    Black Thought (the roots)
    Dj Quik
    Method Man
    Scarface
    Common
    Ice cube

Artists who almost make it:
    Jay-Z
    Xzibit
    Snoop Dogg
    Ludacris
    Techn9ne
    Twista

Didnt add many underground artists. Cant remember many more right now.

4. Eminem
    Slim Shady
    B-Rabbit
    Marshall Mathers

Lmfao jk
    Eminem
    Crooked I
    Kendrick Lamar
    Macklemore
    Royce da 5' 9"
    Tech N9ne
    Jay-Z
    Joe Budden
    Hopsin

I know I'd put PAC in there somewhere but I haven't listened to him enough to firmly decide . Same with biggie.

5. Man i almost added joe budden....almost :)

6. @[member="pokesmot247"]

A immortal fan? Nice! I shouldn't have missed that one. Dude can rip freestyles that blow your brains out.

@[member="Soulus_Ronin"]

Seeing tech 9 and hopsin is also cool.. Hop shoulda been on a long time ago if the whole thing with eazy he's wife didn't go down the way it did.

Look... I mentioned yall's names lmao
    Well em smashed budden so...

7. My ten in no particular order.

Slug (Atmosphere)
    Tupac
    Lupe Fiasco
    GZA
    Big L
    Eminem
    NAS
    50 Cent on the album "Guess who's back?"
    Biggie Smalls
    Mos Def

8. Em smashed budden? How and when? And Tech and Hop where one of first rappers I started listening to to get a feel for underground scene. And hopsin is a prime example of artists who get passed up because of the mindset of
    The masses.

9. Yeah but budden ate jay z alive

Jus like big l destroyed jay z in his radio freestyle lol

10. Atmosphere kinda sorta got too popular I think.. And then got mackle-jacked, (the act of having macklemore steal your style) but he had some gems.

Gza.. Fuck yeah. Mos def.. Yes. And Talib kwali too

11. I left mos def and lupe fiasco off the list....shouldnt have because they got amazing flows...but i agree dude!

12. I thought they were supposed to battle and budden backed out.. I could be wrong tho! :) He did talk some shit on him back in the early d-12 stuff tho.. Just can't think of it..

That reminds me..

Jay-z got eaten alive on blueprint 2 - renegade trying to have em on a song for popularity lmao.

13. #13 rain dancer, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    Well hell, if were gonna go underground, we gotta bring up some greats
    Hope you dont mind some videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBwhKC2pvWg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Specifically vinnie paz

Aesop rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEBGCOCxLgA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Papoose
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM9eo6pKvlQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ahmad
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-33P6EFgEc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Lupe fiasco
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XIuitrUYPo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

To name a few :smoke:

14. Was thinking of benzino and the magazine stuff. My bad

15. Whose style has Macklemore stolen? Honestly, I think dude has been one of the most original rappers out there all around with style, delivery and content. Dude is just really well rounded IMO not just another Eminem wannabe
    Like MGK, he took his own path and went with it and I respect that.

16. Ehhh I guess. I don't discredit Jay-Z for being outperformed on his own track, that happens pretty much with anyone who raps with Eminem, he's rapped with: Lil Wayne, T.I, Nicki Minaj, Drake, Kanye,Kendrick Lamar, Jay-Z, Nas, Busta Rhymes, and others I forget and has outperformed every single one of them. The only people I think that have been on a track with Em and could actually light a candle were Royce da 5' 9" and Crooked I. I think Tech N9ne could prolly keep up with Em too but simply in delivery

17. Im not going to lie, I haven't listened to enough of the dudes work to say I don't like him. He just sounds very similar to slug to me.

18. #18 Soulus_Ronin, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    @[member="tallglassesofmilk"]
    Never heard Atmosphere. I gotta check all these dudes out:
    Immortal Technique
    Atmosphere
    T.I
    Etc

Funny thing is, I'm part of a rap battle forum (or was, I went inactive like 1 year ago or so)and I don't ever remember talking this much about just rap as a genre, different artists and stuff

19. Rap and hip hop culture are the new rock and roll. Kanye says some intelligent things here and there lol.

I think we all have our favorites but @[member="llllllllll"] made some good points about the numbers. T.I. has a ton of features. He's sold plenty of records. He's made some seriously successful albums.

I think there is a top ten and he ain't in it. Neither is kanye west. Neither is 50. They're like mids... Or the shelf just below top.

20. Lmfao we've been talking about music so long I forgot we were on a weed forum and almost didn't get that last reference. Honestly, I think the same way with T.I, I haven't heard enough from him to
    Solidify but for me he's above average. I'd put him
    Above 50 prolly below Kanye West. Kanye pulls some shit from time to time. (You can skip from HERE: You know who else is like that? Fucken Drake. Everytime I'm like ahh this song's alright I've heard better, he drops this one line and I'm like where the fk did that come from. For instance, he had this song Pound Cake with Jay Z and through the song Drake just has this really mellow flow that gets you relaxed but it makes it hard for him to stand out y'know? But then at the end he's like "You know it's real when you are who you think you are" and I don't know I think maybes I was high or some shit but he has these singular profound lines that get me that keep him somewhat relevant in my eyes. Rant over lol To HERE)

Back to the point, I always thought it was abullshit angle to judge someone based on the records they've sold. Lil Wayne is living proof that that's not a sure fire correlation.