Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Nematodes for fungus gnats

• Please log in to reply

Rakk187

Rakk187

• Registered Upgraded
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently ran into a problem that I seem to be having some difficulty resolving. I run hydro-buckets that are top fed by drip rings. A couple weeks ago I found fungus gnat larvae residing within each bucket. I did some research and found that beneficial nematodes would help resolve this problem, however all cases discussed pertained to soil growing mediums (I use expanded clay balls). I obtained some nematodes from my local garden shop, and following the directions exactly I treated my plants.

I kept the nematodes refridgerated
I applied them in the dark
I mixed the nematode mix with water to apply

I waited for about a week before I checked the fungus gnat situation again, this way the nematodes were not exposed to any more light than necessary. Unfortunately when I did check, the fungus gnat larvae were still present, however their population had declined.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with fungus gnats in hydro systems, or with nematodes in hydro systems, and may have a solution for my problem or an idea of the effectiveness of nematodes as a biological control in hydro systems.

Rakk187

Rakk187

• Registered Upgraded
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I also failed to mention that I have sticky fly paper set up throughout my room and on top of the buckets. I have not seen any adult fungus gnats on any of these sticky traps.

ttibbar

ttibbar

• Registered Upgraded
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I have not used nematode, just heard about it but a friend
told me to keep a pan of soapy water in the room. The gnats
like the bubbles, they fly into it and drown. My water is
always full of gnats,it works. What I don't know is if they
have already laid their eggs.

mrscalia

mrscalia