Rooting Into A Potatoe

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Physcotic1, Sep 20, 2014.

1. I think your going about this wrong. Your should cut a SPROUTED potato in half and bury one of them in 5 gallons of soil. Once the potato has sprouted roots and leaves, start grafting clones onto it. My guess is the buds compete with the potatoes during flowering and you either get whispy buds or tiny potatoes.

2. #22 D.o.c, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
    This is just an experiment, also to confirm that it works, I won't be able to not confirm it, since I wont have all the facts, nor equipment to do this if it becomes a hassle. This is NOT a right way to clone Mj. takes way too long.

I'll try that TCHISMYGOD, but, I'd like to hold off till I get vegging clones.

I haven't checked the potato in a few days, but the plant is still looking green and moist. 

Grafting  a MJ plant to potatoes is  not going to happen.  This is scientifically impossible.    This is how misinformation is spread in MJ forums.  Don't wast your time trying this.

PW

4. Rooting isn't grafting. Cuttings of any plant can be rooted in a spud because it maintains moisture and probably has nutrients. The roots will split the spud as they develop, not dig into it. No science, just my long understanding, and it may very well not be the best method for your purposes but it could be one of the oldest.

Been subbed here to watch it happen, haven't done this since elementary school.

5. I understand completely the difference in rooting and grafting.  I am addressing the statement that cannabis can be grafted to a potato, not whether the rooting of cannabis is possible with the cutting in the potato.  Cannabis and potato are in different plant families and cannot be grafted together like above post states.

PW 

6. I had heard it could be done with tobacco, so I assumed it could be done with marijuana but tobacco seems to be in the Solanaceae family.

7. #27 BlackLab, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
    I agree, just offering more clarification since the topic of grafting came up.

8. It cannot be grafted with tobacco either, different families.  There is some talk out there in cyberland about grafting to hops, which is the same family as cannabis, but no actual proven results have ever been reported.

PW

9. Also some people speculated that the roots can't penetrate the potato, which isn't going to happen anyway. It's going to split like grass through asphalt, those roots don't see any obstacles.

10. Are you saying Roses and spuds are in the same family?

For reference I'm adding a link to 1(ONE) way to propagate a rose in a potato. Altho  Mj is not a rose nor in the same family. some say it can be done.

http://howikis.com/Propagate_Roses_Using_Organic_Materials_as_Root_Hormone_Which_Everyone_Has_In_Their_Cupboards:_Cinnamon_and_Potatoes

Since Mj plants grow so slow, seems I have plenty of time to mess around. 
    Furthermore, I'm not saying it will or will not work. I'm just trying it out.    If it does work, then I have proven it, if it don't, still not unproven, but not proven either. 
    I am saying, "THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT WAY TO CLONE MJ". 

11. I would also like to propose growing a watermelon, drilling a hole in it once its about 6in round and place a cutting in there. Roots could probably grow freely in there.

12. Watermelon is not a bad idea. Could work. Nice soft moist medium with nutrients. Getting air for roots and getting roots out through the watermelon skin could be a barrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. there's also pumpkins. 

14. Potato is oozing juice. Idk if it's its trying to heal/reject the cutting? 
    but the cutting is still looking healthy. green and moist. a lil droopage, but not bad at all.
    20140930_230415.jpg

15. A lil reminder:
    Not everyone speaks the same language, nor is from the same country. spelling differs from place to place, ethnic backgrounds, ect..
    Pointing out spelling errors in your mind, on a global net is frivolous. Learn to read Typonese.
    Pointing out that our Gov. is completely stupid, on the other hand. is an assumption that I agree with.

16. Mj in a potato take 1 is a fail. I'll have to try again when I get more veg clones. 
    The stem turned all black, but the tater is sprouting vines. 
    take 2 will be with a peeled tater, a cut in half tater, and I'll do it with a rose cut at the same time, just to see if I can get it to work.
    Tho I might have to wait on the rose since the season is turning, and roses will be going into hibernation.

17. Not supposed to use rooting hormone just the cutting and the potato.they are supposed to combine then you supposed to pick the potato leaves off.?

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

18. #39 D.o.c, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014
    Ya, pretty much.  
    Dig out the eyes of the tater. cut in half, peal it, ect...
     Some sites say use powder rooter. I used gel.
    That's ok, more attempts will come soon. 

Big changes coming up in my grow rooms, come add your inputs and advice's. Ty
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1315577-doc.html/page-11