Rooting Into A Potatoe

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Physcotic1, Sep 20, 2014.

1. #1 Physcotic1, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2014
    Hey y'all I was just wondering how many of yas hav eva rooted a cut into a potatoe before and could you post up some pics sa ?lol

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  2. That's a awesome idea, I'm gunna do it.

3. Propagate Mj with red potato Take1:

I just cut a clone from a 2 week flowering lemon haze, Dipped in cloning gel. cut half the leafs down, and stuck it in a red potato. put the potato in Mg, and wetted it. I put a clear dome over it under 100w 6k LED. will do updates for it here.

20140920_044607.jpg 20140920_044555.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  4. ...whoa

• Like Like x 1
  5. Was expecting sex with a potato. Guess Im in the wrong thread

• Like Like x 2
  6. Haha, I think you're in the wrong  site altogether. 

• Like Like x 4
  7. Having some wilting, Maybe the hole in the potato was too big for the stem. Or I shoulda used the powder instead of gel.
    all is still green tho. I spray water on it twice daily.

Anyone want to give tips here?
    See if we can get this to work...... 

8. add some salt and vingaer might do the trick....

• Like Like x 2
  9. 20140923_043725.jpg
    I pulled off the bottom two leafs. the stem turning blackish, I dunked it in clone powder, and stuck it back in the hole. 

10. Why would it work in a potato?

11. i dont think the roots are strong enough to push through a potato maybe if u baked it and made it soft it could work?

It works with roses, unbaked, but idk if a red potato, I may have to try again with Irish potato, and probly peel it too.

Cuttings are abundant here,so are potatoes, so I'm not out anything by trying. 

• Like Like x 2
  13. I might have to put this in my sig when I get to my computer :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  14. HAhaha, I had a good laugh, Ty :laughing:

15. i don't think there's enough air in that spud to root.. probably too dense.

could be wrong though..

• Like Like x 1
  16. #16 D.o.c, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
    That's why I'm trying it, I know you are a OG (Old Grower), have you done it or tried? btw, thanks for looking. I'll keep at.
    All I have right now are cuttings from a plant in flower, might be easier to do when they are in veg, may have to try again in a month.
    20140916_203937.jpg

17. #17 AugustWest, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014

I haven't tried it because i think a potato is too dense to root in. you need some oxygen in there.. I'm guessing that's the reason your stem rotted in the first place.

that's why rapid rooters and rockwool are used so often with cloning... because they are full of pores.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Then maybe the hole I put in the potato isn't too small, air pockets between stem and tater walls. 

19. The best thing your going to get out of that experiment is more potatoes...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  20. That's great, I like potatoes! I have this french fry seasoning, It goes good on just about everything. But best on sliced and fried potatoes. A little bit of oil in a cast iron skillet, Fired them up to a golden brown, Oh so yummy.

• Like Like x 1