If Autos Are Kept In Light 24/7, Should Light Schedule Change Before Harvest To Allow Harvesting In The Dark?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by corduroyew, Sep 20, 2014.

1. #1 corduroyew, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2014
    If an auto is kept in 24hrs of light all through veg and flowering should the lighting schedule be changed during the last couple weeks so that the plant can be harvested when it's" asleep."  If so how soon, or late, should the new schedule be implemented?  What do you suggest the lighting schedule be? Is harvesting in the dark really necessary if the plant has been properly flushed?

2. Auto is exactly that ..an Autoflowering plant .. don't need night to trigger the flowering hormones as does photoperiodic plants do, best to keep autos to `18/6, as sugars and carb saved in the roots are used up when the plant sleeps

3. I realize auto's don't need a lighting schedule change for flowering which is why I specified that it would be kept in 24hr light all through veg and flower.  I'm not worried about switching lights for flowering I want to know if the lights should be switched for harvest.  Many online sources say always harvest in the dark and many people report that 2 or 3 days of total darkens before harvest is best but these many online sources have always been talking about standard seeds and not auto's.

The question is during the last few days of the plants life should the schedule be changed from 24hrs on to a schedule that gives the plant a chance to sleep for a few hrs a day.  One of my concerns is to do with how fragile auto's seems to be.  Will a plant that has never seen the dark be negatively affected by being exposed a few hrs dark latter on in life?  Are the benefits of a night time harvest that big of a deal if you have flushed for a couple weeks with flush nutrients from a reputable company?

4. #4 ProGMO, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    when you get ready to harvest miss your last watering and wait 2- 3 days (eye her you will know when to cut), the trichcomes will start pumping to save the plant from drying out. All this is from other growers. I am a novice interested in the whole thing.

The plants are said to have a reaction to light for photos when harvest. My understanding is you get the plant while she is resting and not working to start processing light. Lower chlorophyl maybe?