How Many Plants Can I Fit In A 3X2X8 Closet?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Smokeysmokesmoke, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Hello my fellow growers

I have this closet set up for four plants. My question is if I super crop my plants(which i've seen makes them much larger)will this space be enough or should I only do 2 plants maybe?
    I'm running a 220W LED light.
    Fox farm ocean soil(organic)
    Dyna Gro - GROW & BLOOM concentrates 

Here are my 4 seeds. They all are hybrids I guess - 

G13 Labs Seeds Cinderella 99
    Feminized Cannabis Seeds - Pick 'n' Mix  - 

BC Bud Depot Seeds Girl Scout Cookies
    Feminized Cannabis Seeds - Pick 'n' Mix 

Black Skull Seeds Power Bud
    Feminized Cannabis Seeds - Pick 'n' Mix  

FEMINIZED UFO #1 CH9 Female Seeds Aroma

Attached Files:

2. What size pots are those?  If at least 5 gallon, I'd say you can probably do four.  And you can let them fill up the space.  However, I suspect that you would get better yields only doing two at a time.  Especially if you are supercropping.  Give them some room to put up more tops and each plant will likely yield half again as much.  So if, for example, doing all four you might get an ounce per plant finished product, doing two at a time might yield 1.5 ounces per plant.  Maybe more.

Also, do you know the lumen out rating of that LED?  I'm fairly sure they don't have the penetrating power of an HID lamp, so overcrowding could severely restrict light getting past the very top of the canopy, which can also hurt yields.

3. Thanks for your help! 
    The pots are 3 Gallon Fabric Smart Pots
    Sounds like I should super crop and see if I can possibly yield a full 2 ounces off of each plant! :)
    Do you think that having bigger and fatter plants would also be more potent?

I lied about the LED, It is actually 300W. The Specs are as follows( this is a generic LED from china...EBAY..$120)
    I don't see anything about the lumens though..

10 Bands Full Spectrum LED Grow Light With 100PCS 3W LED Chips 

Features :
    [SIZE=9pt]High Efficiency Optimized for PAR, Extremely Sufficient Lights Spectrum, Super Light Penetration[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=9pt]Plants grow faster and flower bigger: Enhanced spectral output covering full PAR (400-730nm) promotes photosynthesis for Growth & Bloomming,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=9pt]High Efficiency Powerful 3Watt BridgeLux LEDs, Low Energy Consumption[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=9pt]Powerful  Cooling fan system inside, Cool and Quieter[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=9pt]Revolutionary Heat Aluminium PCB, Run 80% cooler than high intensity discharge (HID) lights[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=9pt]1pcs Strong Hanging Kits are available for Easy Installation[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=9pt]All LEDs with a Zener to ensure One LED Goes Out the Rest Continue to Operate[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=9pt]3years Long Life Span, Energy Saving and Environmental Protection[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt][/SIZE]

•         Specifications :
      [SIZE=9pt]Optimized Full Spectrum best for growing and flowering : 645nm~660nm, 620nm~630nm, 450nm~460nm, 430nm~440nm, 2700K~3000K,[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]3000K~3500K,[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=9pt]Real IR spectrum help plants flower better : 730nm[/SIZE]
      LED Quantities: 100PCS Exclusive 3W Bridgelux/ Epistar grow LEDs
      [SIZE=9pt]Maximum LED Power: 300W[/SIZE]
      Power Consumption :  162W+/-5% 
      \nSize: 210X310X60mm
      [SIZE=9pt]View Angle: 90 degree and 120 degree mixed LED, different color light mix very well[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=9pt]Life Span: â‰¥ [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]3[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] years[/SIZE]

Warranty: 3years 
      [SIZE=9pt]Working Temperature: -20 to 40 â„ƒ[/SIZE]

5. hey, i'm sorry! my reply was lost in your post somehow. this place can kinda blows, lol....

6. #6 Atmo, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
    That LED light.. do you plan on keeping it that close to the canopy the whole grow? I think those types of lights usually require something like 12-16 inches distance from the canopy (at least.. bigger ones need more room) in order to let all the wavelengths disperse properly. Does your light have a suggested distance and coverage?

As far as number of plants, that's sort of like asking how long a piece of string is. If you went SoG style you could fit many small plants, or you could do ScroG style and just use one or two plants (or more, still depends). It depends on what you plan on doing. I am a big ScroG proponent so if you were to ask me I would say to go ScroG.

My last box was about 2' x 1.5' x 3'(h) and I filled that baby up with one Northern Lights plant ScroG style. Got about 2oz from it.

7. Well I figured for the seedlings I would have it close but I have been informed otherwise now, and that I should keep it at least a foot away.  I'm sorry could you tell me what SoG is? and ScroG? slang for how you crop them?

You said you got 2 ounces off your northern light plant, what size of LED where you running?

8. I myself have a 300 watt led cob style. However I am only using it for vegging plants as I can tell it wouldn't penetrate enough for flowering my plants. I am no expert this is only what I see with my eyes. My flowering room is 4x4 with a 600watt hps. In this room I have 4 supercroppeed plants. They are way to crowded in there, not only do they cut each other off it also makes me nervous if there was ever a pest problem it would spread like wildfire. Not to mention that the more crowded the room becomes the harder it is to not harm plants when it comes time to water etc. Long story short I wish I had grown only two plants, and with your 300 watt led I would super crop and lst the he'll out of em. Tie em down let the light in bend the plant strengthen up that stalk.

9. Thank you! I will  only do 2 plants then.
    How long should I veg for and when should I super crop? at 3 weeks?
    Do I super crop first then lst? or do them at the same time?
    What strains are you growing? How much time is left before harvest?

10. #10 tmntgrower, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2014
    I am growing only c-bomb. I live in legal medical mj state and got seeds from a caregiver friend. I just switched the lights in flower room today. So 8weekish to go as my plants are heavily indica dominant. I vegged for 8weeks. Veg time all depends on the amount of space and time you have to grow with. The longer the veg the larger the plant up to a certain point of course. Just remember when you switch to 12/12 to flower those girls they will stretch. The girls get to be 2x the size as when u start flower cycle. Also if you are in 3 gallon smart pot and are not transplanting at all you on only have like a month of veg two months for flowering. I super crop at 3 nodes up and I start bending main stalk. However as a warning super cropping can be dangerous I broke some side branches trying this until I got a feel for it. Hell I still break them. You should do some research on this technique before trying yourself. With that said I super crop than lst, as much as I feel the plant can take without really stressing it death. Check out my grow journal sometime, I am really just getting my grow legs under me myself. Also I would grow out all fours plants and pick the best two when light space begins to feel crowded. I started with 6 and gifted off my two runts into a fellow growers flower room that had more space and light than they had plant.

Attached Files:

11. Those plants look hella happy.

Sent from somewhere over there.
    No, not there...over THERE.