Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking Ganja And Its Effect On The Heart.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Mystic Music Monkey, Sep 17, 2014.

1. #1 Mystic Music Monkey, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2014
    I currently am thinking that i'm going to stop smoking. It has me worried about my health. I keep getting chest pain wear my heart is and was wondering if ya'll have had similar experiences. I'm not sure if it's my lungs or heart but i'm pretty sure it's the heart because it's on the left side. When ever I toke up I get a racing heart and I literally clutch my chest because of the pain. I also find it difficult to breathe. If one pays attention hard enough they can tell somethings off. At first I thought it was an anxiety attack but I highly doubt it. I am pretty sedentary spending my off time playing video games, netflix, etc. but i'm also really fit and only 18. I don't smoke cigs or drink. I just got over a couple weird chest colds that posed similar symptoms; which could  relate to whatever this is. I havent really given my self a long enough break for my chest cold symptoms to clear up which might also relate to the heart thing. It actually prompt me to go run on a treadmill and I was able to jog 3 miles whiteout really any problems. Last week my throat was tighten up or something and made sleeping really difficult. I took like five ibuprofen every night and it dramatically reduced inflammation allowing me to sleep. That side effect however has subsided for the most part. Idk bugs the shit out of me. Went to a metal concert last night and me and my bros passed around a blunt. I knew something was probably going to happen but I tried to brush off the negative effects and not be a puss. Concert was good but wasn't able to mosh and shit with my friends cause I felt like I was dieing. I actually overheard a few people talking about me clutching my chest but i Ignored it and tried having a good time. Really sux. Might end up going to see a doc. It's just isn't worth it at this point. 

Help Suffocating From Mucus After Smoking
    Smoking A Quarter Sized Ball Of Resin Bad? 

Btw I'm curios about how the lifestyles are of season smokers. Do you exercise and shit? Because if your able to smoke a lot of weed and still have a rather 'lax lifestyle there might be something wrong with me or something. 

2. Do you drink coffee? The only time I've ever experienced that was when drinking coffee and taking big hits off the vaporizer

3. #3 Mystic Music Monkey, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2014
    No coffee, although I am a bit of an anxious person which would cause heart rate to go up, but I've had a two year period of none of these side effects. It's not laced either because none of my friends have these effects and they have been smoking quite a few years longer. 

4. Stronger strains, takes more tolerance. Smoke something weaker. The racing heart feeling is clearly a sign that the strain is powerful for you. 

5. #5 GratefulFred, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
    At 18 I'd guess it's more your lungs from too much smoking.  The left and right lungs are not the same so you could experience symptoms on one side and not the other.  It could also be aggravated by allergies.

Definitely take a break and clear out your lungs and try vaping and/or edibles if you want to continue with Cannabis.

If you really think you've got a reason to be a concerned about weed and your heart please see a doctor because at your age there should be no heart issues, weed or no.  You may have a congenital defect and you need to get it checked out.

6. How often do you smoke? Just the weekends? 3-4 days a week? Once a day? Multiple times every day? I'm actually taking a tolerance break atm, but before that I was smoking almost every day unless I had to do something for school or I just didn't feel like it. I'm 20 and i started smoking at about 16, but didn't start smoking daily until I graduated highschool. The only thing I notice is when I'm super baked, my nose gets stuffy and I have to breathe out of my mouth. As for the heartbeat, that's one of things that happen when you get high. It's usually: dry mouth, red/glossy eyes, increased heartbeat, munchies. Depending on the strain, you can also become talkative or get the giggles.

I think you might be stressing out a bit too much, it's probably nothing, but hey everyone's different, next time you get your physical ask the doctor. And be honest, he won't tell anyone anything you tell him.

7. youre really overthinking this. A lot of what happens while youre high is just all about your mindset

8. U do know u have chest muscles right? Their probably just getting tight I had that all the time, unless u have a history or heart/lung problems your fine if it bugs u that much go see a chiropractor or doctor n do some tests

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. Probably some grain of truth in that. Myy friends said they weren't even high and i was having a hard time maintaining a straight face at the time.

I do have seasonal allergies although rather minor. I guess it could be that i tried getting on my friends level to quickly and gave my self a weird bug or something, but yeah i'm going see my doctor. Mostly because it's difficult to sleep at night though. The chest pain is relatively minor after not smoking for a couple days. Having difficulty breathing is actually what pisses me off the most.

Well i haven't been smoking that much because i'm afraid too. I only do when i'm with my friends at the moment even though I shouldn't. However when before all this shit happened I smoked a'lot during the summer. Three, four times a day. I wanna say around a gram at a time more/less. I honestly didn't need to smoke that much I just thought, damn I have a shit-ton of weed, ima smoke it. 

You're probably right a little right. But I have almost labored breathing when sober. Atleast i've been that way for the past couple weeks. Ibuprofen is the only thing that lets me get a good nights rest. Helps clear the airways. When I was walking to my college I had a couple weird sharp chest pains when I deeply inhaled too so I think I have a weird form of bronchitis. With no cough btw, maybe like a few times i'll cough but it's more forced to try an clear my throat.

No bad history. Could be tight but probably not the main problem. I'm just going to stop until I feel better and go see a doctor. I just want to sleep well at this point.

10. Sharp pains when deeply inhaling? Thats just chest muscles man. im 100% on this. If you breath up to a certain point it doesnt hurt right? but when over the point it hurts. and in certain positions it can hurt with out breathing. not heart related at all

11. I hope so man. If anything I think it's my lungs though or something because I have a hard time breathing right, especially at night. 

12. If it was your heart, I doubt you would be able to jog 3 miles without any symptoms.

13. I get pains in heart sometimes when I'm stoned and not stoned but when I am I think about it more which I think makes it worse...I have been putting off a doctor trip as I'm worried to know what it is

Sent from my HTC Desire 816 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. It must be a lung thing then. I experienced pain on the right side too. Maybe it could be allergies and smoking just makes it worse idk. When I smoked the past couple times it just felt like I was having a heart attack or something. Felt like my airways/throat/lungs was constricted too. 

I would get that shit checked. You can prevent a lot of bad stuff if caught early, better safe than sorry. Even if it's nothing.

15. #15 deleteda, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    I'm having the same issue,Sharp pains on left side of chest,above heart,extreme shortness of breath,random anxiety attacks only when I'm high tho,I haven't been physically active lately either except for walking alot,playing hella videogames and smoking all day long,so I'm changing habits,I'm not hitting weed as hard,and I'm going to use zigzags instead of cigarillos and see if it gets better,by the way I've been smoking for 6 years,never had a bad experience with pot until a couple days ago When I had a panic attack and couldn't catch my breath,so I know how u guys feel,confused

16. #16 Captain_Jack, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
    Marijuana causes an increase in heart rate. That's normal. Not sure what to tell you about the chest pains. I smoke everyday, and my heart is perfectly healthy from eating right and working out.

Happy toking!

Sent from four score and seven years ago

17. Have you tried edibles? Does your heart race on edibles?

18. Your heart is located in the center of your chest cavity. Not to the left side of your body. When you pledge, you're not placing your hand over your heart, your heart beat is just strongest there.

It's likely chest muscles. Dehydration and electrolyte deficiency are your probable causes. Drink more water and get some fruits and veggies in

19. #19 coolioluke9, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2014
    If your 18 I assume you havent been smoking long. A lung problem from build up or "wear and tare" isnt really likely. To be honestly with you it sounds like you have a heart condition. As a matter of fact you could have had multiple small heart attacks, a heart attack doesnt make you always pass out on the floor. whether its caused by the mary jane or not, id seriously get off of a forum about the devils lettuce and get to an actual doctor. 

Before you get too scared to go to the doctor if you have another episode and your heart just stops beating, do you think you can make it to the hospital? It could be nothing but damn man if its bad enough to come on here and write a story you should go. and if nothing is wrong you get a loli-pop!

20. Well atleast you kinda know what I'm talking about it's gone away for the most part but after having to sleep funny to breathe properly for a few weeks I now have a pinched nerves in my neck and lower back causing pain in my limbs. Really fucking sucks. My doc canceled the appointment too so i'm SOL for a while longer. This could also relate to my chest pain in some way. Maybe i'm more aware of the pain? idk Shortness of breathe has subsided. I think it was allergys or something because I took some allergy meds and some benadryl for a couple days and i was fine. But now I have to go for my neck and back. What a cruel world. lol Haven't smoked since my last post either.

Yeah i don't think it's the heart at this point. I thought it was cause I had arm pain one night and had a panic attack cause I had all the symptoms but then my neck started killing me and found out it's probably a pinched nerve or something. 

Never tried edibles. want to but they are pretty costly and hard to come by in my neck of the woods.

Idk but i'm going to smoke a lil today for the first time in awhile because I hurt all over. Wish me luck.