Which Factors Do You Personally Consider When Predicting Harvest Day?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by UniqueGrass, Sep 17, 2014.

1. I have read a lot of information on harvesting, as I'm 7 weeks in flowering. The majority of people seem to stress trichomes as THE way to know when to harvest, but others say there are many factors to take into consideration, besides just cloudy vs amber : head high vs couchlock. Kind of think about it as a fruit. This link explains a lot of it: www.rollitup.org/t/zeuss-take-on-harvesting.210501/

^Basically: Hairs should recede, they should smell "mature" (you just know if you've grown the strain before), buds should stop growing, have an amber tint to them, and be swollen with trichomes that are fully formed with bulbous heads.

Sativa strains have less CBD more THC, Indicas have more CBD less THC. When THC degrades (amber trichomes) it turns into CBN, which makes you sleepy. To me, it seems like it's the combo of lower THC, which results in a higher CBD:THC ratio as CBD wouldn't degrade as much, and high CBN that creates the couchlock, and the strain is programmed to physically show you its ready when it's in the harvest window of the 'right' amount for the strain. Thoughts?

And how do you predict your harvest day is nearing?

2. #2 WaxPayne, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2014
    The color of the trichomes for me. I take some samples by cutting a few leaves off the plant and then determine if the ratio of amber to cloudy is right for me . It varies for all growers but i usually like it at 60% cloudy and 40% amber. could care less about the hairs as some of my plants (like my Master OGK) developed hairs too early to tell when they were right for harvest. 

3. Do you know how many amber/cloudy trichomes there are on the actual buds when you reach 60/40 cloudy:amber. I read that when 30% are amber on sugar leaves, the first amber on buds will appear, what have you noticed?

4. I just eye the leaves while keeping track of what week/day I'm in and follow the suggested grow period to get a better gauge of the time frame. If the plant is suggested to flower 60 days, I try to see where I'm at in that time frame as far as trichome color . The leaves I'm always checking too since my first encounter with mites and massive paranoia :p