Topping Question

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Waterlab420, Sep 16, 2014.

1. I have a plant that has been topped once. I was curious if I can make two cuts on two different branches at same time? Will that be okay?

2. Some strains like it more than others, but I've done it a few times with good results. Just make sure that you give the plant time to recover and start re-growing before the second topping. If it's a healthy, vigorous plant and has recovered from the first, go for it.

3. Doing both...its 5 weeks from seedling going into rockwool. Topped once and its recovered nicely! Wanted to make another two cuts on it.

[​IMG]

4. Another question...do people usualy cut nodes off the new tops? or different branches...does it have to be those two new ones?

There aren't any hard and fast rules, but my goal in topping is typically to even out apical dominance, which usually means the new growth. Looking at your picture, I'd start training it rather than doing another topping unless you want to take clones, but that's just me. It doesn't seem like a plant that's inclined to be tall or gangly, which is what makes me top a second time - plants that don't take the hint about limiting vertical growth.

6. Thank you for the input. I actually just tied it down gently. Not gonna top.

With lst you make the branches pretty much horizontal right?

7. Yea, basically. The most important idea is to leave as little of the plant in shadow as possible, and keep the canopy even. Don't bend them too quickly, though, you don't want to break a branch. Coax it into the position with slight adjustments. Good luck!

8. Ok:) i bent them and tied them down, looks like a dome shape. Even started to notice the leaves bending upward forwards the light ( guessing that's the idea )

Do I keep them tied down all the way to harvest? Or cut the ties before switching lights?

9. #10 Pot Professor Paul, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2014
    the idea is to get a nice even canopy. if you want several buds top every 4th internode. watch how much space you have when you think about 80% of your grow space is full as in side to side its time to flip to 12/12. try and keep the entire top of the plant the same height keep bending and trying to flatten it out you want horizontal growth now. when you flip try and fill the remaining 20% of space with the stretch. everyday push down on your tops you dont need to tie them down if you are experienced, it just takes a lot of work bending and rebending. tying down is easier just dont overdo it. if you hear a "snap" grab some duct tape. make sure you have plenty of air flow top and bottom so you dont get powdery mildew ect...

Attached Files:

10. Thanks for the info! I have tied them all down yesterday. tried to even it out pretty good, got this huge fan leaf always getting in the way lol...but trying to even it out nicely :)

Still waiting for my LED light also. Have a 96*3 on the way!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Yang and all fan leaves that get in the way of lower branches/new shoots either tuck the leaf out of the way or I prefer to snip/clip/lop off. If the leaf has any sign of deficiency get rid of it. Your choice some say u need the sucker/fan leaf others say you don't. I average 1\\4 pound per plant 1 month veg. The less leaf the more bud sites....tighter nugs....same yield except there isn't tons of leaves to trim at the end. Look up defoliating lstn lolipopping super cropping and find what works for you. I do a combo of all but super cropping unless I bend too hard and snap a branch. Check out Solis tek OG grow indoor journals

12. See the red pigment on stems showing up? As soon as u need to snip the leaves stems turn colors on if and only if they are in the way the leaf is nearing maturity. When stem is fully re/purple/candy apple colored with genetic purpling DNA the leaf is mature....all my strains purple/red/candy apple

13. I Dont know if im gonna snip the fan leaves, just tucked them under.

Added some nutes yesterday. Got a tinnnnny bit of nute burn just the veryyy tip of one leaf...i diluted it today when i got home. was up at 1240 PPM, I dropped it to 950. So hopefully that will do it!