Common Core Controversy

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by ItsReneeYo_, Sep 15, 2014.

1. I was watching Aljazeera with my mom and the subject Common core came up. While I don't know much about it, she was telling me about how a lot of parents she works with are complaining about how they can't even help their children with their math problems because they're too advanced. A lot of people claim it sucks the fun out of learning and whatnot, and a lot of people say it's too hard. Since I don't know too much about it but I do know about our shit school level standing when compared to other countries, I was kind of all for it. I simply thought that it was good too raise our standards so we could compete or even level with other developed nations. Then I got too look at some of the examples of common core which seems to be finding a complicated way to find an easy problem.

Louis ck complained about it on twitter.

"In several of his tweets, C.K. blasted the Common Core, the federally approved (but not nationally mandated) standards that most states, including New York, have adopted. Parental critiques of Common Core math problems have gone viral before. At the same time, defenders of the Common Core have argued that the standards themselves are not the problem so much as the poorly conceived or badly expressed curricula in which they are often embedded. This defense sounds reasonable enough, though parents whose children come home with worksheets presenting obscurely worded or illogically presented problems and bearing the words Common Core can hardly be blamed for conflating the two.

But the issue identified by Louis C.K., and by other less well-known but equally furious parents, is not that the material children are expected to learn is too hard. It isn't unreasonable to expect kids to have learned to multiply and divide numbers up to a hundred by the time they leave third grade-and in all likelihood, Louis C.K.'s child will have done so by June, if she hasn't already, and be the better for it. The greater problem lies with the ways in which the achievement of those standards is measured. An emphasis on a certain kind of testing has become a blight upon the city's classrooms. “The teachers are great,” C.K. tweeted. “But it's changed in recent years. It's all about these tests. It feels like a dark time.”

With endless education reform it robs teachers of their effectiveness because they end up not being sure what to teach or how. My cousin is a 7th grade English teacher, and she always complains about how the fun of teaching is being sucked out. All she does is read from the book and prepare for the state exams.

For teachers, it's sort of like trying to change your running style while in the middle of a race because the coach yells at you from the sidelines that you're doing everything wrong.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

(All the more reason for home schooling.)

What do you think?

2. No thoughts yet... I need someone to explain what's happening in that last picture..

3. Common core basically about lowering standards, and shutting down critical thinking by making shit boring as hell, among other means. In a nutshell its about control. Telling kids what to think instead of teaching them how to think. I could go on for hours, but its better when you find out for yourself.
    Go on youtube and search for Charlotte Iserbyt interview. Watch it, take notes, and google dat shit cuz.
    Thankfully im in michigan so we dont have common core, although schools have other problems as well. Hope this helps.

4. #4 Snake Chamber, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2014
    ^ This. It seems we're dumbing stuff down to irradicate layered thought processes. Doesn't this equate to zombieism?

I now feel dumber from learning this new method of doings maths.

Im guessing this was possibly done to help teach the really slow kids at the same pace as the kids who can do basic maths (98% of them). But won't this be making the other 98% slower?

Wasn't it a better system when the couple of slow kids were taken away from the class and taught one on one with a teachers aid for a week or two until they understood the problems they were having trouble learning, then put back into the class...
    he just said, 'I come from the land down under'

5. this has become a topic of interest for me as my children are nearing school age. but Texas doesnt support common core.

6. Search YouTube for the video "The Intentional Dumbing Down of America" or something along those lines. I thought it was interesting

7. As long as our education system focuses on test scores it will only get worse. No child left behind is the real problem.

8. and hopefully no other states will adopt this joke....

9. Math up to advanced calculus is not that hard, but there is a lot to know. The state of mathematics education in public schools is not at all up to par with what college requires to graduate. I do not even know how I got as far as I am now with all that I was deprived in high school, actually i do know. I had a good precalc professor years ago, that never existed in high school. I miss him, I wish I could take calc with him but he was very old and was head of the department. I wonder if he is doing well. 

10. I'm sick of reading about this issue because it's impossible to find actual substance. I always hear people complaining that the new system is dumbing people down and that it is stupid, yet I never see any one actually provide examples of how the common core is different and what is so negative about the methods.