Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

cannabis College Waste Of Money/time?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by ThatWeedGuy710, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Hello there!

I never posted in a forum before so im not sure if this is the right place to post or not, im also new to GC so its all new to me..

anyway the question is.. are any of the "mmj schools/college/programs" worth it or is it a waste of time and money? such as "THC university" it says after completion you get a certificate.. but is that certificate good for anything? would one more likely get hired at a dispensary or get a cultivating job by showing this certificate? are there better programs/schools then the one i listed? 

i failed to find a post covering this topic, so dont mind my ignorance of the subject.. know of a existing thread? share the link please!  :hello:

http://thcuniversity.org/

2. yes oaksterdam has been around for years

3. @[member="Old School Smoker"] thanks for the info!

4. I heard some say that its a joke and that the books they use u can just buy online yourself and grow

5. I wouldn't say it's needed.. worth it? Depends on how much you already know and what you can produce

6. I'd go ask the dispensary in question

Happy toking!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. #9 LuxTenebris, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2014
    I HIGHLY doubt they teach you anything you cant learn from a few minutes of googling.

As for improving your odds of getting hired at a dispensary, honestly cant say being from a non-medical state. But from what ive heard from people who are, bud handlers (cashiers) dont have to really know anything besides what marijuana looks like to get the job, though some are knowledgeable

8. If you are after a cultivation job, getting a qualification in the horticulture/agriculture field will be more worthwhile.

9. Yea what exactly you want from that is more important to us answering your question. If you're interested in growing an agriculture program would be far more useful since they teach you general and specific topics so you can understand growing plants as a means to make money and thus indirectly how to take care of plants they don't really cover. If you're interested in the business side thats popping up, then maybe a business degree could be worth it. I've looked up some of these MJ schools and I can't imagine what they teach in just a few days time but I guess depending where they are, the legal aspects prevent them from actually doing a grow from start to finish.

10. thank you all for the great responses! im going to start using forums a lot more!   :metal:

and the reason i brought this question to everyone was because for the past three months I've been trying to get a job at a dispensary, why? because i know i wouldn't slack off at work, never get bored of work, i like to help people, i like to be surrounded by good uplifting vibes. i can careless about the wage, i dont even know how much bud tenders make, could be minimum wage for all i care, but i have applied everywhere around me and i have yet to get a call back i guess im just not sure why, i have plenty of experience with marijuana, (not just smoking) and ive been learning different ways to extract so i can find the best way for me, im not sure if its just because im 18 but im sure that has a lot to do with it.. 

:confused_2:

Depends, in your state, do you have to be 21 or 18 to be a MMJ patient? Or same question for rec use if you're in a legal state? 
    And maybe the experience you have is not put into consideration since you were a minor when you acquired that knowledge (I'm assuming)
    Have you been to places in person? If not, that could help !
    Maybe you have to be a MMJ patient ? 

12. i guess i should of given more information, that was my fault. i live in SoCal. legal requirements say patients must be 18 years of age and you must of doctors rec. to work in a dispensary.. but yes i do have my doctors rec. and i am a legal patient in the state of California, ive only been to one place for an interview but never heard back (he said he was gonna call me back, and talk to me about going up north to cultivate... i knew i wasn't getting a call back, lol) other then that ive only applied by email sending in my resume.

13. Ok, that's clearer :p

Just don't abandon, go out to more dispensary, grow houses (Suppose you got those in Cali ! ) etc..
    There are so many in your state, you'll find something, be confident, go up to the stores and you'll get there :D

14. Here's a tip on applying for a job first is call them after they get you or better yet stop in and chat with them. If you get a interview once again after a couple of day call or stop usually after a interview I will just call. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. #17 garrison68, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
    I see nothing wrong with growing weed for yourself, your friends, or even for profit.  But, if Mexico ever legalizes it, an it's legal here, you can bet your bottom dollar that 90% of the weed that gets used will be from across the border - which is going to leave very little room left for anybody who was in, or was planning to go into, the marijuana business.  

16. there is defiantly more here then where im from (Ohio  :lol:) but there isnt that many dispensaries Here In LA, but im not gonna give up its what i want to do, and what ive wanted to do since i was 12... yea kinda weird for a 12 yr old to dream about but i find everything about marijuana to be interesting Growing,Extracting, Cross Breading, all the different strains, cooking with cannabis, lotions, sprays, lubricants, THC/CBD pills, you can do anything with marijuana its amazing, but what most people see it as is "pot, you smoke it and you die" or other propaganda bullshit they teach to kids in school.... now i need a dab, :bongin:

Thanks!

17. your so wrong, theres always room in the MMJ business, you have to realize that the industry hasn't really "taken off".. i mean it has but only in the legal states, i cant wait to see the future for the industry though, its gonna be life changing

18. #20 garrison68, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
    I don't agree.  In Holland, where it is legal, a very small percentage of people use it.   

Mexico can grow very good weed outdoors for practically nothing, and this would make it impossible for American growers to compete with them for the lions share of the market.  Of course, this is only possible if it becomes legal in both countries, and they export it here.  

I would not recommend marijuana cultivation as a possible career choice for young Americans.  There's simply no evidence that it will be profitable.   

It's like trying to grow bananas here and sell them - Costa Rica and other countries make this impossible.  The same will be true with marijuana.   During the 1970's NOBODY sold domestic weed, 99% was imported.  The only reason domestic growing and selling started some 25-30 years ago, was due to the drop in weed smuggling because of busts.