Is It Right To Have Children?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by JimmyTbag, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Of course this is a matter of opinion, but i've always said i'll never have children. Im still young and appreciate that I may change my mind, but as far as I'm concerned humans are parasites on the earth. We don't give back what we take from the environment its all just consume consume consume and forget about where we took all this shit we have from. As far as we know babies don't choose to come into this world (but hey, maybe they do) and if they end up with a shit life, or die young, or get depressed and suicidal, thats on the parents to some degree. they bought them into the world. the worlds so fucked up and corrupt its hard to keep your chin up without being somewhat ignorant. I also think people have children for selfish reasons. maybe to fix a marriage or to improve their life. idk just a few thoughts i had what'dya think?

on another note y'all have a great day, the suns out for once here so I'm off on a bike ride to the countryside :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Everyone has the right to bear a child.

3. Why do you think that

Sent

It's a natural right.

5. why is that? what makes something a natural right? i agree but then i'd also say its a natural right to murder someone but i wouldn't say its ethical 

6. #6 -13 Amp-, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2014
    not true, many men and women are incapable of having/making kids (medically)...

7. That's a medical condition, not their loss of their right.

8. #8 -13 Amp-, Sep 12, 2014
    bear a child means to have one naturally (give birth), if they cannot do that, they do not have the right...

what is a right that cannot be exercised or demonstrated?

9. No one put a gun to their head and disallowed it, they can't do it. Id have a right to fly if I had wings, however I don't have wings, so I can't; has nothing to do with rights.

10. #10 -13 Amp-, Sep 12, 2014
    Its not a right...that's the point...many people are born without being able to have their own children, they never had the right because they were born that way...

Bearing kids is not a natural right

Again, what is a right that cannot be exersized or demonstrated?

11. #11 SlightlyStonedSD, Sep 12, 2014
    You don't understand what a right is I think. A right doesn't imply the capability. It just means there is no legal penalty for doing it.

Edit- the more I think about it I think you might be right, I'm talking about legal rights. But I guess that would be considered a "natural" right. Semantics...

12. good topic, i've thought about this often. i'm too high to contribute but if i remember to i'll come back here to post when i'm more sober

enjoy your weather OP  :bongin:

13. #13 SlightlyStonedSD, Sep 12, 2014
    But I think we need to clarify if OP meant is it right as in a good thing to do. Or if he meant do you have the right to do it

14. It was never about legal rights, it was said natural right, which cannot be true since there are people incapable of having children naturally...so is it a right but only for some people?

Sent from my LGL75C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. We're going abit off topic and arguing about definitions. All I'm after is weather you think you should bring a life into this world. Given how destructive the human race is, and how overpopulated the earth is becoming.

Sent

Yes. I think everyone that can and want to have a child should have children.  :confused_2: 

I'd define it as the ability to exercise a person's will to do something.

Sorry, every fertile person.

I say yes. I still use the internet, despite all the fucked up shit it contains. I'll even let my kids use it. Know why? Because I'll teach them how to decide what is right for them.. although I will shelter them from what I can for awhile :p

18. I think everyone should definitely be allowed to have children, but for myself, I'm of the same opinion of the OP.

For one, I would never want to carry a child despite (presumably) being able to. That just seems uncomfortable and tiring, not to mention would probably make my dysphoria really bad. If I was with a partner who desperately wanted children, I would parent the child but we'd have to either adopt or they would have to get pregnant. Adoption would be preferable though, as there are already sooooo many people on this planet including children who have very little hope for the future that I would feel guilty bringing another baby into the world when I could parent a child that already exists and faces a miserable future. The planet is already under so much strain, why birth another child? It's not like our species is in any imminent danger of being wiped out and we need to build up our population, if anything, there's too many of us.

19. i disagree with practically everything you said lol

20. i could have a child, my parents expect it to so i should, but i probably would not have kids. as for everyone else...who am i to be judging you?