How Much Dolomite Lime Can I Use For Magnesium Deficiency?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Canna1, Sep 12, 2014.

Possum

Sure - that could happen. But the obsession with 'magnesium deficiency' is more than a little weird. Maybe a 12-Step group is in order. 

Here's my suggestion to avoid such things - build and use better soils. Then you wouldn't have to be trying to run a garden like a hydroponic grow. 

Have you ever looked at magnesium levels in thermal compost that was correctly put together? What about legitimate vermicompost vs. the bagged crap at grow stores?

A review of a magnesium-rich food like kale and the amount of actual magnesium that is accumulated throws cold water on the entire fantasy about hi-dosing with magnesium.

We're back to CeC and overloading a soil with magnesium will constrict the soil reducing flow of water, locking out important cations like Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium and about every micro-nutrient required. Lack of boron availability makes calcium absorption impossible and all the calcium amending you want to do will not allow this element to be used.

CC

2. #22 Possuum, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2014
    I agree with what you're saying. I was one of "those guys" at one point myself I'm sure.

I do like the other thing you pointed out previously regarding the chlorophyll molecule. I looked at a picture of the chemical structure and that's when it dawned on me that an Mg "deficiency" would in all cases result in chlorosis due to a lack of nitrogen bonding. It also appears that two N- ions are on that structure which was also interesting. But back to your point about chlorophyll production, and I'm asking an opinion on this, would not in all cases of a true Mg chronic deficiency (lack of) result in chlorosis? If true then is the "purple stem" enigma thus revealed to be nothing more than another urban, stoner-science myth? No Mg=no chlorophyll=chlorosis=sensecence?

I actually like that very much if in fact "purple stems" due to a Mg "deficency" could be laid to rest. Is that part of your thinking as well? It seems to make good sense.

EDIT: That's not a trick question. It actually makes a lot of sense to me but I do view some things in the abstract I suppose.   :bongin:  :bongin:  :bongin:  :smoking:

3. I really don't know about the purple stems+Mg, because I've experienced them when I knew there was adequate Mg in the mix. Everything else also due to the kelp meal and Azomite. Pretty much don't pay attention to them anymore. Especially when all the other growth looks fine and healthy.

I have experienced Mg deficencys, but mainly in pepper and tomato plants. I don't recall any Mg deficency in mj. This was also years ago when I was still getting my mix dialed in.

Wet

4. #24 Possuum, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2014

I'm a compost advocate and in fact I'm growing a fairly impressive plant in nothing but "dirt" basically only it's planted a few feet from the compost bin. It has needed absolutely nothing but more light since planting. I'm sold on compost and will surely try to never grow anything without some.

Tissue analysis is fairly complicated as too its utility I believe since most plants take up much more nutrients than they need but a big "but" is in order because as you indicated kale and only a couple of other vegetable plants (lettuce and cabbage I believe -I would have to double check) are the greatest store for Mg in ALL  of the vegetables and the average tissue analysis for all remaining vegetable crops is less than .5%! That data is as reported in Knott's Vegetable Guide. So bottom line is you're right about the craze of the whole Ca/Mg conumdrum, or any of the other "deficiencies" for that matter. It's always about a soil soil medium foundation to grow the best the plant can be.  

I think organic growers would have a good study of Knott's publication. It is entirely geared towards farm and greenhouse production using synthetic nutrients. But the real value for what I've found is data such as I mentioned above whereby someone actually took the effort to put together such an extensive volume of tissue analysis (and other data such as fertilizer consumption, temperature/humidity ranges etc, etc.), and one of the takeways from studying that would certainly indicate that even organic growers of any kind in all likelihood way, way over ammend their soils and over fertilize. Less is best in most all cases though.

I would like to hear your, Wet's and Patanjali's thoughts on my point about "purple stems" and the lack of nitrogen if there is an acute Mg deficiency. If true I certainly think "purple stems" and Mg "deficiency" can go down the myth drain.

Thoughts?

So in your experience with Mg deficiency was chlorsis not an end result and that which first showed on the leaf - not the "stem"? I'm certainly not sold on the "purple stem" Mg deficiency diagnosis and any subsequent recommendations to fix it. Reading Knott's one can see that those studies certainly indicate with >98% consistency that Mg, as stored in leaf tissue, averages less than .5%. Contrast that with N and K being in the >2% range. So, Mg is store in minute amounts. What does that really mean? IDK actually. It's value is as good as one puts their value in leaf tissue analysis.

6. Well, on the peppers and tomato it showed in the leaves, stem was fine. Not purple, anyway.

On the mj with purple stems, the leaves, petioles(?), and new growth showed no stress at all. That's why I don't pay any attention to the purple stems.

Wet

7. I believe that any "deficiency" shows as chlorosis. Purple petioles I don't know about. The only reason I distinguish petiole from stem is simply to be accurate. If one researches, as you do, the academics tend to be very specific when describing their work. If we're to try and connect dots from research unrelated to cannabis (because there is so little documented and quality research on cannabis easily available) then accuracy in interpreting what one is seeing and reading about becomes really important I think.

That's just me and my anal retentitiveness or ADDHD or PTSD or SAD or whatever condition it is that I have. I self-medicate ya know... :smoke:

Thanks for sharing the thoughts.

8. I mentioned the petioles because I thought you had mentioned that if the petioles turned purple, that would indicate a more serious problem than just purple stems. That was why I mentioned it. Was just something I noticed, but really didn't take much note of it.

Wet

9. Could purple petioles and stems have anything to do with both CEC and the way Mg is translocated within the plant? Where the plant shows signs of deficiencies due to the unavailability of Mg (not that it isn't present in the soil, just unavailable).

Just curious.

-PG

10. Sometimes purple stems are indicative of genetics.

Look hard enough at something and you'll start to see what isnt there.
    ~ poke