Bong Advice, Do I Need A Gauze With A Glass Bowl?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Phoenixxuk, Sep 11, 2014.

1. #1 Phoenixxuk, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
    Hi, 

So I've just invested in a long awaited glass bong, I've gone for the Grace Glass Spiral Perc Bong, attatched below,
     http://www.grasscity.co.uk/online_headshop/grace-glass-spiral-perc-bong---black.cfm

I've also bought a glass bowl as well, and here's my question,

Do I need a gauze or screen or whatever? And what are they all for? and is this anything to do with resin?

Thank You, 

A man looking for the perfect first glass bong hit.

08600_1000.jpg

2. Screen will help keep ash out of the bong IMO not needed if you clean it every once in a while. Looks like she's a ripper though

Sent from my VS840 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. A screen will ensure no product goes to waste as it gets sucked through the bowl otherwise. It will also keep your bong a lot cleaner due to it preventing ashes and product from falling through. This is especially the case with having those percolators, if you don't have a screen ash will fall through and get sucked into the percolators chamber which is easily the most difficult part of the bong to clean. 

4. Cheers guys, 

Is a gauze the same as a screen then? Do i need a glass one with a glass bowl?

5. #5 allusernamestaken!, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2014

You could do a metal screen if you wanted to, but then you defeat the purpose of the glass bong and bowl when you add a metal screen where the heat is applied, personally I would go all glass. Not all glass screens are created equal, I would suggest buying a few different types and finding which one works best with your bowl for drag and fit. Daisy and star seem to be about the best fits for general purpose. I never heard anyone use gauze in relation to a screen, from Europe perhaps?, but looking it up, yes its the same thing, I learn something new everyday :)

6. From google they appear to be the same thing, just two different words. You don't need a glass screen, you can use pipe screens if you want but the glass screens will fit better in the bowl and allow for more room while lasting longer. 

If you are going to go the glass screen route don't get ripped off by how much they sell for individually. I always buy mine off eBay, my local head shop sells each screen at $3 and I buy them off eBay at 200 screens for $20. 

Here is a link to the ebay listings: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xglass+screens&_nkw=glass+screens&_sacat=0

7. How long do those eBay ones last you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Honestly they can last forever, I only replace them once I accidentally tap them out while ashing or if they get too dirty to bother cleaning. I have never had one just break on me in any way. The last batch of 200 I bought was in August of 2012 and I still have probably 1/3 of them left and I give them away like candy to any friends/people I smoke with to save them from getting ripped off at the local head shop. 

For $20 you don't have to worry about glass screens for years to come, a great idea for anyone that uses a glass bong. 

9. Thanks man I might get some of those for my roor.

Oh and op just do what I do and that is clean your bong after each use I clean mine when I am not high so I don't drop it in the sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man that is some life advice there, haha. 

Okay so thanks everyone so far, cleared a whole load of things up! 

I've stumbled across this and it seems to answer my needs with me need nothing else, what do you think?

http://www.grasscity.co.uk/img/products/Black-Leaf---Glass-Bowl-with-Built-In-Glass-Screen--Blue.jpg

11. You have to be careful with the built in screen bowls. Although they may seem efficient they get clogged very quickly and then you need a toothpick to clear it out. With glass screens all you need to do is poke out the screen when it gets clogged and then your airflow issue is fixed. 

12. i, personally, wouldn't bother with a screen in that bong. i don't really see the need, you're not going to get any ash up in the perc with how high it is located in the tube..

it will help keep the beaker part cleaner, but a little iso and Epsom salt will take care of that in like 30 seconds of swishing around, even for the most dirty of pieces.

having said that, glass screens are cheap, and as mentioned before, come in many sizes and shapes, i find the flower ones work best for me, but you may like another style.

you can get a diffused slide with built in screen but you really have to be careful which ones you buy, some allow too much air flow, some not enough. this all gets exacerbated when you put it in a bong, some style of bongs cope better with more airflow, while some give better hits with a little less airflow.

theres only one real way to find out though.. and that is to try it, whether you try it with your setup, or a friend has a similar setup. let us know