Do You Think Green Ganja Goodness Is Really A Gateway?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Blazin83, Sep 11, 2014.

1. For some people, Yes. For most, No.

Some people never experienced being high before. When they smoke weed for the first time, This opens their eyes to different drugs thought to be "just as safe" (Even though those drugs do have negative effects, Like some can give you brain lesions).

Also, Its legality makes it more of a gateway. In some states its just as bad to carry weed as it is to carry hard drugs. Same with the paraphernalia. A needle with resin is worth as much time as a handpipe with resin. This means that people have to buy from drug dealers, and if they sell other drugs, may get pressured into trying new things.

But, If its legal, The dealers would lose popularity with those interested solely in weed.

For most people, This isn't a problem. They don't view weed as an eye opener to other drugs. They also aren't interested in trying other drugs, Even when offered. It all depends on the person.

2. Weed is good enough for me. Not even touched anything else. 

3. I don't think weed causes anyone to try other drugs. Rather, I think the type of person willing to break the law (where applicable) to smoke weed, would also be willing to break the law to try other controlled substances. A person who's never gotten high probably has never gotten high because a) it's illegal or b) they have no desire to alter their state of mind. This person will never try anything else either. Someone who smokes weed obviously doesn't share these same values, so they are the type of people who could try other things. Think about a square and a rectangle. Every single square is also a rectangle, but the opposite isn't always true. Every druggy out there started smoking weed, but not every stoner goes on to try other things. I would like to think it's all in each individual's personality, and the weed is just another common denominator, but unrelated. That's where the propaganda comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. #25 OneOfTheGoodOnes, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    People go on to the other drugs mainly because once they try Cannabis and find out they have been lied to they then try others to see if they were also lied to about them.

5. #26 BluntedUp, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2014
    I ended up doing alot of shit from lucy to white girl but its all in the person.  I experimented with alot of things after weed(none of that crazy shit) but at the end of the day the only thing i stick to is pot.

for others it aint the same.

anyhow no one thing is that black & white.  marijuana effects different people in different ways.  same with other drugs.  

i did those things out of curiosity though.  the same curiosity that landed me this position of being a full-time pothead. 

On another note i think being a heavy smoker effects your tolerance to other drugs, possibly(dont quote me on it) making it easier for first time use.

6. There is no such thing as a gateway drug.

There is however such a thing as decision making and peer pressure.

7. what i think is no matter what is set before you, if you happen to be a drug addict you will do it. the problem isn't the green ganga goodness, the problem is the drug addict. i am sure you have all had your share of experiences as far as illicit and illegal drugs go. so why aren't we all track infested heroin junkies? why aren't we all mind shattered speed freaks? etc...etc...

what i think makes marijuana a gate way drug is the crime that is involved with it. get these little punks that sell there weed, blo, smack or what have you and then get busted. move ahead 10 years and you look where those people are and what it is they have had to do to survive. that is where the gateway part of any drug really lies.

8. It's a gateway to getting stoned and really hungry. Other than that, it's you who's in charge. 
    Never touched unmentionables, never will. 

9. The only gate is the self-control of the individual.  The 'gateway-drug' argument is simply an externalization of an internal character flaw.

10. Weed is a gateway to a much more chilled day and a great nights sleep :)

11. I've done almost everything when I was younger," my choice", especially pain meds. I have a fucked up back,2 surgeries, fused disc's etc. Eventually I got sick of all that shit, and stopped on my own, I dont think weed is a gateway drug. That's what most of society says. You know what fuck society. I do what I want. Common sense man!

dilligaf

12. The black market is the gateway. I've seen way too many people fall down that hole and it's all because, like others have said, the dude selling you weed might also sell other shit. I know a ton of people who never went past smoking pot, cannabis in and of itself is not a gateway, however the method required to procure it nowadays is a lot more likely to lead someone down the wrong path compared to if it were a legal commodity.

13. #34 loopster, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2014
    Drugs aren't for everybody.
    I feel Anything could really be a psychological trigger( become a gateway) for an addiction,
    As in it's a coincidence that the addiction happens to be a substance.

But as a human I feel we have addictive personalities period some can control the urge others can't

Think of what you're addicted to..
    Food?
    Exercise?
    Soda?
    Smoking?
    A sport?
    Hanging out?
    Fun?

Don't we get pleasure out of it all?

I had a professor compare milk drinkers to meth addicts... And I am almost certain that he said this with a sense of truth ...
    When meth heads were baby's did most of them drink milk as a baby?then with that logic we could deem milk to be a gateway drug

I am addicted to fun, hanging out, and soda. I used to be addicted to smoking but not anymore huzzah!

How can you not be addicted to fun though it's great.

15. Exactly
    At what point can anyone draw the line and say what an addiction really is as I think it encompasses way to much, it's too general

16. well what i think the medical community was going after was a map of how some people use MJ to cope with daily bullshit and how after extended use of MJ those same people would be doing harder and harder drugs. why? because people who have problems that lead them to drug use will never stay with just one drug over another drug no matter how long they have been doing it. getting fucking wasted is what they are after and anything that does just that is on their respective menus. sure someone might be a tweeker or a junky but in the end, they would still do other drugs if their drug of choice is gone.

i for one have tried many drugs and wont go into that due to GC's policy about naming / talking about other drugs. what i will say is that i never ever not even a single time was ever addicted to so called "hard drugs". i liked doing some more then others but in the end it all came down to having fun. smoking bud to me is a great fucking time! that is one of the reasons why i still do it. people who end up addicted to drugs / alcohol are just that, addicted TO THEM ALL.

example, some people are drunks. if you were to take their alcohol away they would take up another drug to take its place. it comes down to calming the raging crazy in their minds and no matter what is available those who are addicts will use what ever is available to them. i have personally lost 2 friends to that terrible powder that keeps you up for days and days. one of those friends had some terrible shit happen to her at a very young age and the other friend, well he just got caught up in it all. loved everything about it. however, when it wasn't available, he was down for anything else, the harder more dangerous, the better.

addiction is an evil beast and that is beyond dispute. :metal:

17. #38 King Willie, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2014
    It can be... a lot of things can be... what opened the "gateway" for me was my parents medicine cabinet... years before I even saw weed.

And I know it went the same way with a lot of other kids.

18. #39 SergeantMeowstein, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2014

Fucking well said! Just so people can wash their hands off the responsibility of being in charge and pass the blame towards inanimate things. 

19. #40 As Above So Below, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2014
    Absolutely 100% NO!

That whole gateway thing is bullshit.

If people want to smoke meth they will smoke meth... But they started with weed!! Which means WHAT??? 

How does smoking weed (A) lead to me smoking meth ( B )?

A=/=B

Seriously why don't people just use a common sense approach?

Okay, I am going to smoke this joint. *I smoke a joint* Now what? Do I want to smoke some meth? Shoot up H?

The gateway 'theory' (laughable one at that) is just the usual American propaganda way of shifting blame away from the person

(fuckin.personal.responsibilty) and onto the drug. No one is at fault here... The WEED made my son do meth and kill a hooker! Let's

not make him own up to any of his actions! It was all the MARIJUANA!!!