Social Medias Affects On The Brain?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by BVRGER-KWEEN, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Today in my humanities class we discussed how social media and the internet in general has affected our brains. My teacher brought up the point that every time our phones buzz and light up, we have a conditioned response that says “Hey someone wants to talk to me”. This reminded me of a post I reblogged on tumblr last night that stated that a lot of us use narcissism to mask our insecurities. The notifications we receive every day make us feel important and we do all that we can to keep that feeling alive. I want to know whether that is a negative or a positive thing. I feel as if it could very well be both but I just wanted to see other opinions on the matter…
    So, what do you think?

2. I believe it is not positive or negative. Its just a thing.

Narcissism? Idk about that. Everyone wants attention afterall. Is everyone who wants attention a narcissist?

Look at it this way.

Humans (and all animals for that matter) have always communitcated. As we evolved we developed new forms.

People send smoke signals, letters, birds, megaphones, TV, internet.

It doesn't matter. Practically speaking its still 2 humans communicating.

Has the ability to communicate swiftly and conveniently from a distance changed our lives? Of coarse it has.

Why is this a complicated thing tthough? Why can't people just not text while driving? Its not "oh social.media is changing our very nature" it's just, people wanting to talk.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Meanwhile, as of right now you have two likes on your post and one quote!  (Always makes me feel special)  :bolt:

I think that people do things with the intent to get attention for them.  I'm not sure whether or not this has always been the case.  I do think it is important to do things for the sake of doing them though.  One example everyone is aware of is taking selfies at various places.  The eiffel tower, sporting events, waterfalls, whatever.  Instead of the person enjoying the experience of being there, they are enjoying telling others about being there.  I actually read a study awhile ago about how telling people about how great something is reduces the pleasure one takes from the original event.  Don't know how I might find that again but I think it was a sciencedaily article.