Soil Mix - Low In Nitrogen

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by StringBurner, Sep 11, 2014.

1. "...The help you get in the organics section is the best. ..."

Agreed.

I just picked up KIS Organics tea brewer. :)

2. If we buy chicken manure at Lowes shouldn't we be concerned if the chickens were fed hormones ? Could that come through in the poop, and into our gardens ?

3. What brand are you considering?

4. #44 SpaaaceCowboy, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014

edit: n/m chicken manure not available at the local big box....I may have to look around for it.

Also CC, If I want to increase the N even more can I add any of the following to the brew mix in addition to the alfalfa & kelp ? ------> worm castings,  manure ?, or bat guano ?

thnx, SC

This is what I found for manure at local big box:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_383822-69290-GCOW_0__?productId=3762881&Ntt=manure&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dmanure&facetInfo=#BVRRWidgetID

5. #45 over dere, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    wrong thread...

CC, so I went ahead and ordered a bag of the Stutzman's, I wanted to check it out since you recommended it. I want to dump the bag out and amend it to prep it for the worm bin...I'm wondering how much and what you add to an entire bag??? Thanks again..SW

For that bag add 1 cup of neem and 1 cup of kelp meal plus your lava rock (scoria) you mentioned - about 15% of the total would be perfect.

Dat's it!

Perfect!! Thanks once again.

9. sisterwilliam

Because of how this material is composted you will enjoy a high level of bacteria which is a good thing - meaning that the worms will turn this to vermicompost far, far faster than aged horse manure and most thermal compost materials you might source.

Your worm production will be very high as well - composting worms self-regulate their populations relative to the food source, correct conditions (hydration & aeration), etc.

You'll be pleased with both the vermicompost and the massive increase in worm & cocoon production levels. It's one of my favorite materials to use in my worm bins....

CC

I have a bin out in front of my house that I use to mix soils and such. Right now I have the stutzman's sitting in it. When my special lady friend got home this eve the first thing she said was that "it smells like shit out front".  Have to admit it's got quite a strong smell. Hopefully my neighbors don't mind. Thanks for your help CC, I appreciate it a bunch.,SW

11. Hey dog...serious question...is chicken shit/horse shit and worm shit too much shit in the one mix !

12. Well, neither chicken or horse manure are available in my area and the (dairy), cow manure is mostly used as a top dress rather than in the mix. A good bit of it is used as worm food.

Fresh VC is used both in the mix and top dress and now makes up ~85% of my manure usage. It is far superior to anything else. PERIOD!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cheers thanks for that !!