My First Grow (White Widow)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by pussyslut, Sep 10, 2014.

1. The buds look good PS.  I am surprised you are only now getting roots out of the net pot.  Do you think it might be because you are using perlite as your medium?  I always used hydroton in bubble buckets and roots find their way through that in no time.  The buds look good enough that I wouldn't stress too much about the leaves.  I am far from an expert but my leaves often look like that at the end in ebb and flow.  Never had any problems with DWC but I am guessing that could be a function of the perlite being so dense.  I'd like to hear opinions of others more recently experienced with DWC.  I have not grown that way for about 12 years and my memory might not be accurate.
    By the way I hope your tests went well. 

2. I'm glad you think they look good, the hubby and I were looking at them earlier today trying to decide if they are where they should be growth wise for how far along they are, I think its been 5 weeks now since I switched them to 12/12. We tried comparing them to other pictures of other peoples grows of  WW but its hard to gauge because they don't grow the exact same way with the exact same variables so it doesn't really give you a good idea.  Newbie curiosities I suppose....Just wondering what it is going to end up yielding I guess. Only time shall tell. :)

I think it is the perlite that caused them to not drop roots, I mean they always had a few sticking out the sides like little feathers but nothing big. That perlite fluffs up pretty nice and holds moisture well, so it could be that its just taken this long for it to run out of space in that pot and venture elsewhere. I'm not sure if I will keep using it or not in the future, but its just so darn handy and cheap its tempting to just keeping using it. My friend uses those little clay ball things and his roots dropped pretty much right away, but then again those little balls don't really hold anything. So I would think its the perlite.

And thank you my tests went pretty well averaging mid 80's to 90's right now so I am content with that  :smoking:

I think there are right where you want them to be at week 5.  Looks a bit over fed (curled leaf tips) but nothing to worry about.  What is your reservoir temp at during lights on?  

It's hard to guess without reference to how big those plants are, but you should expect in the neighborhood of a lb. IMO, and that will increase with experience.  Indoors I run a 250w HPS and my record is about 7 oz's every 2.5 months, more than I can smoke.  You mentioned your goal is to never buy again, I think your well on your way to that in about a month.  IDK what the quality of the buds you've been buying is, but I can guarantee the flavor of what you grow your own will blow it away.

Buying seeds is fun as hell, but personally I struggle to make up my mind.  Haven't bought them in a few years because I've still got plenty, and can't decide there's so much variety out there.  Don't let price influence you in the seed buying.  Some very good strains can be as low as $30 for 10 up to $200.   I really like DNA/Reserva Privada, but there are many seed companies I'd like to try.  My goal is to find a strain to put my insomniac ass to sleep, and a really good version of Skunk #1.  Check out this thread it's a collection of strain reviews by members here.  Might be a bit of help.  I reviewed my favority strain Kandy Kush and a few others.  http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-medical-marijuana-growing/1209921-grasscity-cannabis-strain-index.html  

4. #65 pussyslut, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2014
    I think its a combination of being overfed and having that wild PH fluctuation over a weeks time. Every few weeks my teachers load me up and I get around 4 or 5 tests in a week, so I end up focusing more on studying then on maintenance. That one time I went 3 days without checking the PH or the water level, by time I did they had maybe 2 or 3 litres left in that bucket so they were pretty damn dry, and I'm thinking what was left in that bucket was probably pretty concentrated too so theres the over feeding. Gah....like you said, newbie mistakes :)   Truth be told I am not too sure what the temps in my buckets are, I don't have a thermometer in there. I know that is a no-no, but what can ya do. In the new year I am told I am allowed to get more supplies, so more seeds and equipment of my choosing. So I guess I am waiting until then to see if I even want to keep doing these buckets or not. What I would really love to get is a PH/PPM pen, I feel like I am flying pretty blind right now. I can check the temperature and humidity in the tent itself, and I can check the PH in a rough capacity, thats it.  I would like to be able to get more instruments for more information....new year. :)

Well I guess that is part of the fun I suppose, discovering the end weight after all your hard work. I like that you think it could be a pound though, I'd LOVE a pound, the one time in a girls life she wants as many pounds as she can get lol 
    I'll post what I end up with though, I don't want to be one of those grow-logs that leave you in mystery as to how it yielded and how it tastes. The green we get here isn't too bad I guess, it depends on where you go and how much you spend. I will say that it is pretty damn impossible to find any Sativa around here, its all Indica, Kush this and kush that. Right now my guy has 3 kinds, Rockstar, Bubba Kush and Pink Kush.  ALL KUSH. I don't know why but this city is kush-krazy, a lot of people attach prestige to having a "kush" bud. I think its stupid.....I remember when I was a teen having Northen Lights #4, White Widow, White Rhino, Green Crack, Trainwreck, Blueberry, we had some variety, but that is pretty much gone now. You have lots of variety......of kush.

So if I have to grow a kush, I want to at least grow a kush *I* personally haven't tried before, so I have narrowed it down to these two:
    http://canadianseedbank.ca/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=84
    or
    http://canadianseedbank.ca/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=86

So I don't know, opinions?? They both look pretty good....your right though I can spend all day looking at seeds and never make up my mind lol  

5. Grow orange kush

You think the orange looks better then the Banana? I guess what I am stuck on is that I like the idea that the Banana is a bit unique looking and it supposed to have a sweet mellow taste, that appeals to me personally as a girl. However that orange kush looks tasty too, I like that it has some haze lineage in there and it is supposed to be more of a tangy kind of taste which would appeal to a lot of other people I think.

I think I need to be not baked to make this decision its too hard to be decisive  :bongin:

7. Banana looks awese but I'm a big citrus person again its all about personal taste go with your gut and get something you like I wouldn't be against the banana if I had the choice

Pussyslut,

I was just asking for fine tuning.  Most growers, even experienced would be more than happy to get what you have now.  The temps on the res are important and a main factor of oxygen saturation in the water.  Plants can droop a bit and show minor signs of over watering when the res is too warm.  Reason I know this?  I messed this up!!!  Remember I told you I didn't like hydro, and it was all my fault.  You can also get some algea/root rot issues with warm temp in the res.  Plants still look fantastic though, now I'm just splitting hairs. 

I've no input on either of those strains, I'd probably buy them both and put some in the fridge.  If you have some spare cash it's always a good thing to have extra seeds IMO.

Yeah kush this and kush that.  At least you have variety available.  Very hit or miss in this area (50 miles from Manhattan) but same, if you want the top shelf it can be as much as $75 8th.  Ridiculous, but even more so people gladly pay it.

9. See I don't understand how they made it this far. I checked on my "charlie" plant last night, because I hadn't done anything with her in a week and was pretty sure she was probably empty in the bucket, and she had a crazy amount of roots.  I ignore her and neglect her, and she grows like a monster and puts out roots like crazy, I had to chop 2/3 of her last night because she is getting too big for the timeframe I have planned.  So I am thinking it must be a heating issue in that reservoir, because the widow's should have the same amount of roots they are the same age...?   But then, if its too warm in there for roots to grow how the heck are they this big and not dead??  Mystery......I know next time around I am going to be doing that crazy setup I saw where they have a reservoir that all of the buckets draw their water from and cycle their water too, then I can manipulate the water's temperature in all the buckets at the same time with relative ease. I just have to find a place to keep that reservoir and do some more research so I am confident on how to build it properly.  That will probably be in the later end of the summer though, I have decided this next run in the making is going to just be a sog hempy bucket setup. Easy and painless and something I can start putting into flower before I leave in December. 
    See I don't know much about those strains either I haven't heard of them around here, that is probably why I focused on them. I think I am just going to go with the orange and call it a day, I can't get both because I have been told pick one and that is it. He is very generous, but he also knows when to reel me in lol
    Everything around here is $30 for an 8th, $35 at the VERY most. $75 would get a top shelf 1/4 of Kush.  I have never heard of ANYONE paying anything close to that amount for an 8th!  Talk about consumer rape!  :eek:
    The thing that goes for the most $ around here is still really good blonde hash and high grade oil. But even then, it is something that is not commonly found and for exclusive custies only :)

I thought I would do a quick update, at 7am on a Sunday morning before I head off to study. Yuck.

Things are rolling along, I'm getting excited about harvest time the buds are starting to pump up a bit and get crystals. They all have milky trich's and are starting to get orange hairs, but definitely at least 2 more weeks probably 3 before I can consider chopping them. I am optimistic that I can get it chopped before we have to leave for Christmas, I would like to get some other plants in that tent going before I leave.....once again, optimistic. :)
    morningbuds.jpg bud01.jpg bud02.jpg budz.jpg
    I haven't been doing so good with this whole cloning thing. I managed to get 4 clones going off my very first try, out of......gosh......over 20?? Terrible. So I tried again....and again......I kept chopping up poor ol' breezy hoping to figure out the magic combination so when I took the clones off the widows I didn't screw up....but alas.
    My attempts were basically consisting of a tiny cup of RO water w/ super thrive in it, a sterilized blade and pruning sheers, some pre-soaked and PH'd rockwool cubes and a basic nano-dome with a simple 18" T5HO that comes with the dome. I cut the lil branch at an angle and immediately submerged the cut end in the little cup of water, then I would take the blade and gently shave the sides, and then put the cutting into the grow cube. I set it up in the bathroom, the warmest place in the house, and would wait. It would look good for about 2 days and then I would realize they are dying, and I would pull the stem gently to see if there is any resistance and they would pop right out and look all grey and dying at the bottom.  
    So I looked up a few other tutorials and decided to up my game a bit, I bought some shallow 4gallon buckets and netcups and some hydrocorn and spent a good chunk of my evening rinsing the corn and sterilizing the airstones and hose and getting the water setup and running. Then I get some rooting hormone gel and I bought some rapid rooter plugs, I basically did what I did before with the cuttings but put hormone gel on them, put them into the rapid rooter plugs, and then submerged them under the hydrocorn and covered them to keep the humidity up. I'm keeping the bottom-half of the net cup submerged under water w/ large airstone until they get roots and then I will dial back the amount a bit. I am hoping this works, I don't really know what else I could do that is better. I have put them in the closet with the clones as well, we'll see how it goes. So far it looks good....??
    savednancyclones.jpg savedclemmyclones.jpg breezyclones.jpg breezy&minibreezy.jpg nicenewgrowth.jpg thewholegang.jpg

Anyway not much else to say, just wanted to update. :smoke:  

11. Lookin good deff 2 or 3 weeks

12. #73 homer simpson, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2014
    Do you know the temps where you are trying to clone?  I had trouble in the wintertime myself until I bought a seedling heat mat a few years back.  The best $20 I've spent.  Needs to be at least 70f for best results.

Looks like you're taking clones a bit on the small side, my best success rate is in the 3 inch range, any shorter and it's a battle to keep them moist enough, and any larger they are too 'woody' to root optimally.  I'd leave them in the closet with the clones, take advantage of that heat.

Plants look good, still some fine tuning needed but you can't complain one bit.  

Well, I always kept them in the bathroom, but truth be told I haven't actually tested the temperature in there. I know the temperature of the room upstairs is at 72, and that has a lot of air circulation and some cooling going on as well. In the bathroom, well, no real circulation and its always at least a good 8 degrees warmer and for some reason always humid. So I put them in there, with a dome, and a light, thinking it has got to be warm enough and humid enough. I am wondering if it is maybe a combination of a few things, the rockwool, not using rooting hormone, taking tiny cuttings, who knows. 

I checked on the new clones this morning and they all look good still. They are standing up straight, so that is a good sign I think because when I put them in there they were all floppy. I am going to wait until this weekend before I really check for roots though, I don't want to wreck anything that could be growing.....The other 4 bigger clones are all doing well, I have had to water them twice since I posted last.  

Do you mind if I ask you what you do with your trimmings? I am on the fence about whether to make oil or hash, I have truthfully never made either and want to know which is easier to do so I can start doing some research now in my tiny precious slivers of free time. 

14. I'm in for the finish :) Nice ladies

15. #76 homer simpson, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014

99% of it gets tossed in my house.  

I've made butter and no matter how I prepare it the taste really turns me off.  I'm a chef so believe me I've experimented and just don't believe in it at this point.  QWISO is a decent way to use it but I hate the smell of alcohol in the house.  Bhutane looks fantastic but I'm accident prone and respect fire too much to involve myself.  And bubble bags are just too much work and not cheap.  The idea of spending a few hundred dollars on recycling what I throw out just seems a poor idea.

At this point I only save a small amount of trim, and it has to be covered in trichs.  I may try the dry sieve method again at some point, but honestly I find myself flush with bud from my small grow that I don't think about the trim so much.  Do you have a vaporizer?  Last few months I've been trimming only the top buds and saving all the lower and popcorn buds to vape.  I just do a very quick trim job on them and vape away.  The tops buds get smoked.

In the end it'a all up to what you like rather than what's easy.  I've ended up with several grams of iso hash that I just prefer give away, and that's a waste of my time.

Well this was just a long way of me saying I'm no fan of extracts or 'new school' hash, so I'm the wrong person to ask.

There's a great section on extracts here, JimmyCarter is the one member I'd say know his stuff better than most.  My friend AugusWest has a few good posts on dry sieve, let me know if you want me to post a link.

16. Wow that was certainly more of a response then I was expecting, I was sort of thinking you'd maybe fire off a simple "hash' or "oil" response lol Thank you though that gave me a lot to think about.......The main reason I ask is because the hubby is taking most of my crop so I want to try and make use of as much of the leftover stuff as I can for myself.  If I can end up making some good product (whether its oil or hash) that I can smoke until the next crop is done, I'll be happy.    :smoke:

I can't believe how close I am getting to the finish line, it feels like its taken forever to get here. Mix of emotions....I feel excited to try out the bud, I feel proud that I made it from beginning to end, I feel sad that I have to cut it down and kill it, and I feel impatient about getting the second wave going.  I have a feeling that once I get to smoke it though, I will feel   :hippie:

Dry sieve is the easiest and the results are the best IMO.  http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1273856-aws-organic-pot-growing-thread-irg-reservoir-genetics.html?p=20625863

Couple of posts back in that thread there's a link for dry ice method, which is kind of similar only you're freezing the bud and shaking through a screen.  Never tried it but I like the idea of this too.

LOL when I post in threads it's never a quick answer unless I'm trying to be a smart ass.  I like to give detailed answers to those who clearly have put in the work before they ask a question.  If you were asking straight up uneducated answers up to this point you'd have gotten 'hash' and nothing else.  Shit I'm still rambling.

I like coffee, pot and have a near photographic memory so your stuck with the long posts. :smoke:

It sounds like hash is going to be the easier way to go, thank you, I'll check out those links and see what method speaks to me :)
    I try not to ask questions that are too redundant, there is quite a lot of info on here so long as you know what you are looking for. It is nice to get opinions or conformation on something though, it helps a noOb like me to decide what to do.

Man I miss coffee so jealous lol I just became spontaneously allergic to it one summer 2 years ago, if I drink it I get hives and a swollen face.  I'm like the only Canadian in the entirety of Canada that does not drink Tim Hortons lol 

I thought I'd do a quick update in between study sessions. Over the weekend I cleaned out the buckets and put just RO water and some organic cal mag in there, lose dose. Now its just a process of the plants finishing up I guess, I'm aiming for this weekend but we'll see how it goes.
    The top of one of my branches broke, it was just slumped over one day, I propped it up and it worked for awhile but it finally just wouldn't stand at all, so I cut it off and hung it up for a few days, then put it in a glass jar, I took a whiff of it when I got home from school today and it smells sssssoooooooo good I keep wandering over there to smell it. Its too early yet though, at least until this weekend, then maybe I can have a wee taste :)

I made these floating shelves in my tent so I can put my clones in there with the big plants during the day, I'll have to gauge it in a week or two to see if its worth the effort. 
    I'll put up some pics this weekend