Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is It Safe For My Mother To Use Weed For High Blood Pressure/heart Issues?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by LoveisKind, Sep 10, 2014.

1. #1 LoveisKind, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014
    My mom has had high blood pressure about 8 years now. Since she couldn't afford insurance, her last two experiences at clinics have not been good. One of her medications that she was given made her face swell so bad that she was rushed to the hospital and she felt her face would explode. She stopped taking meds b/c I guess she doesn't trust them anymore and as a result, her blood pressure became extremely high. 

She changed clinics and went to another one last week. She went there to get her heart checked out as well since it felt as if it was fluttering. Then, she was given some meds to make her blood pressure go down, but it went down too much to the point where my mom passed out. She said it felt as if she was dying for a moment.... I was very scared since I rushed down to the clinic where she was and she was sedated and had to rest for her blood pressure to go up. Come to find out, this clinic has a lot of legal issues going on after I decided to do some research on it since I found it suspicious that this happened to my mom when this was never an issue before.

Anyway, she approached me today and asked if she could have some of my bud from time to time to help with her pain in her chest and the meds since this new medicine she was given gives her headaches all the time... Is it safe for her to smoke?

2. Man this would also help me a lot as both my parents are high blood pressure patients. I always wondered if the ganj could help them better than those stupid medicines such as aspirin and what not.
    Would love to see an answer soon.
    :)

3. #3 LoveisKind, Sep 10, 2014
    Have no idea which is why I asked this question, so I hope to get an answer soon as well. If the bud does help her, it would be great if I could grow it instead of buying, but it's illegal in my state. So, growing would probably be too risky. If it does help, maybe your parents could use as well.

4. Most definitely!! There are so many things weed can cure so I really won't be surprised if in someway the weed benefits my parents. Also I'm sure it'll help them save so much more money rather than buying 7-8 different types of medications.
    Yeah it's illegal here too, but if I find out it helps my parents I'm gonna grow it LOL. Sounds ignorant but I care for their cure more than some stupid, idiotic law.

5. Hmmm I might ask her if it makes her feel better to consider growing... maybe

6. #6 GratefulFred, Sep 10, 2014
    I would be cautious about it.  My own experience is that Cannabis can cause my BP to go up initially, especially if I experience anxiety.  (My BP is in the "prehypertension" zone.)

So initially at least, heart rate increases and BP can rise.  If someone is experiencing heart issues or an arrhythmia, or their BP is already crazy high, this could be a problem. 

My understanding of the studies is that the BP lowering effect comes later and/or is more pronounced in chronic (or regular) users. 

It's possible that a higher-cbd strain or ABV might be safer & possibly using vape or edibles.  Maybe someone like Granny Storm Crow can give you good information about this, but I'd be worried what might happen if your mom has a panic attack and her BP spikes.

Personally I've seen some good results from Hibiscus tea for lowering BP, and Hawthorne can help with Arrhythmias.  There are some breathing exercises that really work, or the resperate works on the same principal. 

If the conditions are serious though, these may not be enough and you may have to keep trying different meds to bring it down if it's crazy high.  A better doctor would adjust the dose based on patient response, but preferably no-one would have to be on those BP meds and would address the issue through exercise, diet, breathwork & herbs.

I'm not sure how old your mom is, but these days the thinking is changing on just how much lower it needs to be for older people - like it may not be desirable to try to bring it down to "normal" or below..  Much current treatment may be too aggressive and bring the BP down too far.

7. My mom is 72, has a few major health issues HBP and stuff. Cannabis is great, edibles is longer lasting so I make my mom cookies.

8. My mom is turning 49 this year so idk if that would help clarify with her age being known now.

9. Weed will absolutely lower blood pressure. Especially if you use a lot. Some people have trouble smoking if they're already on blood pressure medications.

10. #10 GratefulFred, Sep 10, 2014

Okay, so not so old.  (I'm 51.)  This article talks about being less agressive with those 60 and older.  Mine is often like 138/85 at home but can be much higher at the Drs office ("white coat" effect).  Some want to put me on meds and others are cool with letting me try to deal with it via diet and exercise, etc.

If it's not too high and there are no contraindications they should be encouraging exercise, weight loss and dietary approaches.  The problem with the meds (as you've seen) is they can lower the BP too much, leading to lack of energy or worse symptoms.  There are a lot of natural approaches that can work, so  it's worth pursuing those if the BP isn't too bad.  Unfortunately many doctors don't pursue this line enough.   Cannabis might help idk, but like I say I'd be cautious with it depending on just how high the BP is because I've measured my BP before and after smoking and smoking raises it.  I have not however tried being a regular (likely 2-3 times a day) smoker or other delivery systems.

11. I am going to try and encourage her to work out more often and not drink alcohol as much. She drinks beer/wine almost daily and smokes cigs daily. So idk if she is going to kick those habits. Have been trying in the past, but she would be reluctant to do so, but she would revert every time.

12. I have high blood pressure and cannabis does nothing to help, in fact it might worsen it...

13. #13 TookieByrd, Sep 10, 2014
    I hate to say it, But I would be very , VERY Careful with her smoking the Ganj if she can't stop drinking the wine/liquor and cig smoking on the daily.

FYI Liquor/wine drinking while on MOST BP Reducers WILL CAUSE THE PATIENT TO GET VERY, VERY VERY SICK! Watch out for that.. there is a reason they make them like that.. so you'll quit drinking. Lisinopril in particular * one of the many I have taken*

I am only in my late 20's and I have 2 different types of Genetic heart defects which puts me on the list for a transplant or a new type of heart device at the age of 55 if my heart gives out before 60..

With that being said here are my OWN experiences since i've had the OUT of control BP: 
    I stopped smoking cigs and I wasn't much of a wine/liquor drinker and lost about 60 pounds.My BP on VERY high day's would be close to 190/110 which NOT GOOD! Now its anywhere between 130/80 or 140/85.. Now when I smoke weed, it isn't to " REDUCE" any BP, ( Because ANY type of smoking will RAISE blood pressure NOT lower )  it's only to reduce my stress levels which does contribute to BP, but of course there are other factors that keep it high..

But, like I said before. Any type of inhaling of Carbon Monoxide IE: Taking a Lighter to any type of matter and Inhaling is NOT good for you, I would honestly say if anything. try to get her a nice little vape pen or use a bubblier/Bong type of smoking device so it filters a bit through the water. And also be careful because Marijuana  is NOT like how it used to be 20/40 years ago... It is a lot stronger, It could cause an adverse reaction with her and cause a murmur to get out of hand or cause Erratic heart palpitations. Stick with strains that cause good body vibes and not a whole lot of Mental stimulation. The mental stimulation ( At least in my experience with friends/family/meeting strangers)  is what throws most people off into panic attacks. And one of the reasons why major heart patients have issues getting Medical marijuana cards in certain states.

All n all, Once she has a good body vibe going.. Help her move around the house more.. Help her with chores, get her involved with stuff. her body wont hurt as much as it probably does, because the weed is taking care of the pain control. That's when you want to jump in and get her moving around for her own good! 

Good luck and I hope nothing but the very best! 

14. #14 LoveisKind, Sep 10, 2014
    Thanks! I was thinking of getting a vape pen myself and for my mom to get one. Would conserve a lot of weed too. I will try to help her as much as I can.

15. From what I have read, Weed makes your heart race and your BP go up. When I go to the doc to get my rec, they always ask about my blood pressure and then actually take my BP right there in the office. I would read up about this first. Perhaps Granny storm crow knows.

16. Will do.

17. #17 Old School Smoker, Sep 10, 2014
    You didn't say thank you and now I am sad :(

18. My apologies. Don't be sad and I greatly appreciate your advice. Thanks!!! :) I just messaged her actually.

19. Cigarettes and alcohol can definitely be a problem for BP. I know it's hard to get off those things though.

20. #20 LoveisKind, Sep 10, 2014
    She's been doing it for a long time... Don't really know how to stop it.