Upgrading To Hps, What To Get?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by SmerkedOut, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Have been running galaxy ballasts for a while. They work very very good. And hortilux is digital approved. And yes I can vouch for it, as you can see by the pics, I own them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Also I like their 5 year warranty!!!

3. The new Galaxy's have a different look to them, but I also have 2 of the new ones that are currently on borrow to a buddy. Sun systems has been around forever. I have a old magnetic sun systems 400 watt ballast, stamped 1996. Still works every time like a champ. I have much faith on sun systems and their galaxy line.

4. And before I get asked why I lend out the new ones over the older model, I just like the way the older models look. Plain and simple. Never had any issues. Ever. They fire the bulb every single time. And for the record, I am lending the Galaxy's to a buddy due to one of his SOLISTEK ballast failing. And whole room smelling like fried wiring. He has sent it in for repair. So I don't know. Its all personal preference. But I will never buy any other ballast than a galaxy. And I power are garbage.

And as someone else said, pretty much all "reputable" ballasts have had the rf problem solved. The cheaper Chinese ones, I wouldn't trust. Even if they they claim "no rf interference".

5. Could someone please point out to me a good tent? I'm looking for a tall 4x4 tent. I would like one that's at least 7ft tall, and it needs to have 8 inch ducts on both the left and right sides for my light, and also an 8 inch out the top for the filter. Could someone please link me to a tent that matches my need? I spent at least an hour on Google last night and I couldn't find a decent one. I'd prefer to spend about $150 or less. That can stretch a little, but not to much. 

6. Well, I ended up ordering my stuff. I picked out a 4x4x7 tent that had some pretty good reviews, so hopefully it serves me well. I'll try to post pics when it gets here.

7. So what did you end up getting?

8. I got a 4x4x7 tent with plenty of venting options (my current tent is way too small and will become a drying rack).
    A Solis Tek 1000w ballast, a Sun Systems Magnum XXXL 6" hood (same price as the great white, so why not), and a Hortilux 1000w HPS bulb. 

I've already got a 6 inch inline fan and a carbon filter, so I'm going to wait a bit before I buy a dedicated fan for the light. 

9. I think you will want that fan dedicated to the light sooner than a bit.. 1000 waters are hot as hell. Unless its cold where you live or your running your ac non stop, your gonna have heat problems with a fan pulling through a filter and light and out to a outside vent. Happy growing.

10. Yeah, that's what I figured. But payday isn't for a few more days, and the parts will actually take longer than that to get here, so I'll be fine. I might just vent the heat to the outside, which seems easier than actually cooling the heat. 

11. mount the filter over the hood.

Go Filter>hood>fan>exhaust duct.

12. Haha, that was my plan exactly!

Yep pump out hot clean air and you will be all set.

14. Well, the Solis Tek ballast creates a small field of RF interference. I can't get AM radio within about 5 feet of the ballast. Hopefully this won't be a problem. 

15. Well, I guess something else is causing my RF interference. I accidentally left the radio on to an AM station, and it had interference when I turned it on, but my ballast is unplugged. So I guess Solis Tek is good to go!!

16. #36 SmerkedOut, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
    HAHAHA so much for that last post. I finally got things set up today, and the stupid HPS is knocking out my internet. I'm assuming it's the ballast. I don't know if I should get a Phantom or go magnetic when I return this POS.....

And I can assure you my grounds are all good and proper.

17. But I do have a few other things running on the same circuit (freezer, fluorescent ceiling lights, and some grow fans). Will running a brand new circuit breaker and wire JUST for the light stop the RF? Because it's a $50+ thing to do, so I don't just want to it for the hell of it...