New Here:) Dwc System

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Waterlab420, Sep 8, 2014.

1. So first off just wanna say hey! New to this forum. 

Here is my setup!

400w MH ( veg ) / 400w HPS ( flower ) In a fan cooled hood
    10 gallon rubbermaid
    4 air stones
    2 60gph pumps
    Growing x2 plants at the moment from germination. There about 3 weeks old. Just topped them both 2 nights ago so little droopy at the moment. Under a 18/6 cycle.

Using these for nutes

Sensi grow A&B
    B52
    Voodoo juice
    Tarantula
    Bud candy
    Piranha

Running my Ph about 5.8, Water temp is at ohhhh about 68 degrees. Air temp stays about 76 during lights on, 71 Lights off.

Open to suggestions, advice, tips, etc. :) 

Attached Files:

2. Looks like if you have both bulbs and intend on using the metal halide for vegging you've got the high pressure sodium installed at the moment.

"Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now."

1000 watt Scrog Journal

3. Looking good so far.  One of those looks to have a little deficiency.  This could be calcium/magnesium, and is most likely caused by some sort of pH swing.   How often do you check your pH?  If it were me, I would check it EVERY time you check your plants, and at least twice a day until you can predict the trends and read your plants.  Just make sure you stay on the pH!

I think you're going to want to increase your air pump power, too.  You should have at least 2 watts of air pump power per gallon of nutrient solution. 

Finally, I would like to suggest that after you run out of your high priced Advanced Nutrients nutrients, you give General Hydroponics Maxi series nutrients a try.  $28 will get you one bag each of grow and bloom formulas, which contain EVERYTHING your plants will ever need in a single bag per growth stage.   

Keep up the great job!

4. Hey o.p.

I use the maxi series as well. I've also been using dry koolbloom powder towards the end. This run I'm playing with liquid koolbloom.

I was talking to the hydroshop guy about my particular setup and he recommended floralicious plus. He says it's the new superthrive.

Do you have any experience with it? Its got a hefty price tag.

"Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now."

1000 watt Scrog Journal

5. What's ur ppm reading ?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. Thanks everyone for the input!!

I switched the mh after I took the pics. Had to wait for it to come in.

I check my ph at least twice a day, it's been a steady 5.9-6.0 very time. And I calibrate it every time.

The smaller plant is struggling. It got topped and then started to look sad :( the stalk is getting bigger and stronger, and there is new growth from the top. But not sure what is wrong with it can't figure it out.

I do not have a ppm meter :-/ I just run my nutes at 1/4 str right now. Thinking I can bump it up to 1/2? As the little one is lookin droopy.

Here is a picture of the bigger one, looks to be going ok.

[​IMG]

7. How close to the bottom of the netpots is the water? Also I would definitely get a PPM meter they are pretty cheap.  

8. It's pretty close, maybe less than an inch? And ya I'm gonna get one today. I think lowes has some.

You could do with a lot more air. A reservoir of that size should be aerated with around 18 litres of air per minute. 

I would shelve all those boosters and just use the sensi A+B. It should contain everything the plant needs. You don't need any of that other crap. Using it will just lower the concentration of real nutes.

You need an EC or ppm meter. Without one you have no way of telling what concentration the plants are actually taking up. You want to match your reservoir to what the plants are taking up. This changes so the ppm meter is a necessity to keep up with the demand.

Overall though your plants look great mate, happy and healthy

10. I think lowes or Home Depot sells one. Gonna go look into it.

Still having trouble with this one!!! Not sure what problem is can't figure it out

[​IMG]

Going be the vast difference in size of those two that are sharing the same strength nutrient solution I would guess it's the nutrient concentration. Your ppm is probably too high 

12. I'm thinking about pulling it, and focusing on one for now...

That might not be a bad idea. IF it is the ppm then the only way you will make one better will inadvertently slow the growth of the other. What about using two separate reservoirs? 

14. Yea I rather not stunt the growth. Separate containers would work. Prob just focus my attention on one. Since it's only my second grow, still got stuff to learn!

If I do keep just one plant, will it grow ok in the big container? Should I put a new lid in the center?

It will be perfectly fine. I have a plant flowering now that's in a 70 litre container on its own and the plant is 4' wide 

16. Would it benefit it being in a larger container??

Possibly. How big are you planning on growing the plant? Width, and height? 

18. Probably pretty wide I wanna do a scrog on it. Since I might lose one plant lol. Here is an updated pic, last ditch Effort to save other one I separated it!

[​IMG]

19. #19 GoldGrower, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014

For a pretty wide plant, you will need a pretty big reservoir..

Are they the same strain? Often different strains will stretch up at different rates so can make sharing a ScrOG screen a little complicated. But sometimes it's not an issue.

What ppm do you have the little one on now? 

20. They are different strains yes. One is northern lights( the healthy one ) the other one is a big bud. I wasn't able to find a ppm meter any where near me. I will have to take a trip to a hydro store and pick one up.

If it don't turn around next day or two just gonna pull it and like I said focus on the one.