Gc Chat Rooms?

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by ItsReneeYo_, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Seamless is a good word. PYT and the private messenger lack the allure of the instant message. Type and hit enter.

2. I'll moderate it ;)

But it'll never happen :(

Sent from my ME173X using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Never, ever, ever going to happen on GC.  Been asked and answered many many times before.  The board owner is dead set against it.  IIRC hookups and dealing would be rampant and there's not enough mods they trust to moderate it properly.  So go elsewhere for chat.

4. Yes post your thoughts and the "i'm horny" threads are both treated like chat rooms. You should read some of the convos in there.....halarious...

Depends on your interpretation of a chat. I know as a programmer and as someone who just grew up in love with AOL/AIM/Skype before the NSA taps, I don't consider the PYT thread a "chat", and I'm in there all the time. People are being passive-aggressive over technicalities of terms in this thread, which really makes those people the dense ones, since they're essentially being snarky over something that's widely open for subjective interpretation.

A real time chat program that requires no additional loading to see updated notifications, features, etc, and that allows for a more immersive experience at a faster pace, is not the same as what we utilize on these forums. For some people, the prospect of a real-time messenger, and not something that essentially works as stoner email, would be more ideal. I know that I personally enjoy talking to multiple people at once, and chatting in threads multi-quoting becomes a clusterfuck of "omg tl;dr" real fucking quick. That's a problem you will never have in a real-time chat where the message is received fast, and where responses are instantaneous, not a "wait 5 minutes, and refresh various times" kind of deal. And it's 2014, so the fact that it still is, is kind of ridiculous in itself anyway, even though this is GrassCity and not TechCity.

6. Yeah, I'm pretty surprised GC doesn't have an IRC server. Embed a client like Mibbit and we're good to go.

7. Everyone knows answer for this :) 

Unfortunately NO 

I'm not trying to split an atom w/ this topic. Someone saying PYT is not a chat thread is like a person walking up to my car and saying, "This isn't a car it's an automobile." It's silly. If it's not a chat thread then what is it? What's the purpose? 

A thread like PYT in the general section allows for repeat trolls/banned members to slither in under the radar bc it moves so fast, and probably bogs down the staff too bc there's somewhat regular drama. Imo, nothing but problems arise from chatting apparatuses mixed into the general forum. Last Summer a bunch of people started this Skype click, and it turned into a shit show where a bunch of members were manipulating threads and being cruel to others on some twisted hidden agenda. And on top of legal issues, I doubt superjoint wants to shell out $ for a forum chatting program for people who are inevitably going to do things like that. 

In the end I'm not a mod or an admin. so personally I don't really care about this in a visceral way but as far the forum firing on all cylinders I think the policy would be best to keep threads like D5 & PYT contained in Nirvana. People that pay to use the forum are 100x more likely to value their membership and not be a constant nuisance. 

9. No one said it wasn't a chat thread. And we are talking about chat rooms and instant messaging anyways.
    Dribble is dribble.

10. One point that WildWill raised was...

How does that differ at all from PM's?

If the main reason for not having an in-house chatroom is because of rampant hookups and dealing... then how did the private messenger system ever get approved?

Unless of course mods can view PM's

I've not seen any notices that expressed the administrators/Mods abilities to view PM's in detail... but for this website to work out at all (in regards to no under the table hookups and dealing) they would have to be actively scanning or individually viewing PM's. 

I really dont care all that much about chatrooms.. just thought it might kinda be a cool little feature.. but with will's response It just now peaked my interest in the privacy of the PM system

11. There is no way to view PMs as a moderator.  I can tell you that.  

HOWEVER, it's still against the rules to request or supply hookup information via PM, and you'd be surprised at how many PMs get reported to the mods because there are awesome users here.

Regardless of the reasonings behind the rule, I can safely say it's gonna stand.  GC has been around for over a decade without a chat room, it'll continue on...

12. I think you guys should close PYT for 24 hours just as a social experiment..

That has happened before, due to discussions that went overboard. They regulars now make sure that rule breakers are quashed quickly. :smoke:

14. things would break

It'd be pretty much the same as when the dead hours thread go shut down...nothing new...

My life would be easier for that 24 hours though...that thread moves fast...soooooooooo much reading...

16. ya know you love that thread tho

If I didn't like it, I'd just ignore it, let the violations build up, then close it...

I only work at it because I do like it, and think it has merit....

18. that was a legendary thread...